What is your favorite song on Let Your Dim Light Shine?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Let Your Dim Light Shine?

Misery
18%
Shut Down
No votes
To My Own Devices
2%
Hopes Up
7%
Promises Broken
17%
Bittersweetheart
8%
String of Pearls
10%
Crawl
2%
Caged Rat
2%
Eyes of A Child
3%
Just Like Anyone
10%
Tell Me When
3%
Nothing To Write Home About
3%
I Did My Best
15%

Total votes: 60

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

LYDLS is the SA album that found me (and I'm so glad it did). Misery got my attention and made me buy the CD.

I finally voted for Bittersweetheart because it's the song that won mine. All that great wordplay makes it my favorite.

Promises Broken is another favorite, as is Hopes Up ("Home is where I hang my head"). I've got a real soft spot for To My Own Devices, too.

Actually, the whole CD is great. It's really hard to chose even a handful of favorites.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

The only let down for me on this cd was when I read the liner notes and the drummer listed was Sterling Campbell. Don't get me wrong; he is a very good drummer but this was the first cd (since Clarence) that was recorded entirely without Grant.

I bought this cd the day it came out. I remember (like it was yesterday) sitting in my car, popping the cd in my cd player and hoping that somehow someway that the liner notes would say Drummer: Grant Young.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

I guess I'm in the minority here. This is actually one of my least favorite SA albums. I like it, but it would fall in my bottom three. And while I get in the mood to hear particular songs, I almost never listen to it as an album.

That being said, this album has two of my very favorite songs to see them do live: "Just Like Anyone," which just knocks me out live, and "Bittersweetheart," which is one of those songs that is just pure fun and makes me happy -- and watching Dave do his hip wiggle doesn't hurt.

The first time I heard "I Did My Best," I thought it sounded like a CCR song, but then it really grew on me and that's one of those songs I get in the mood to hear pretty regularly. Dave's performance of that song during last December's Volunteers show was one of the highlights of the night for me.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

I think I am semi happy the vote closed before I got back here :oops: Did my best... trying real hard to find a job.

This is just so hard. Of course crawl for obvious reasons but caged rat too. So again I am in the 0 percentile. I work in a family business so Misery is always a highlight for me. My husband thinks Pearl is awful, but I like the stories.

Starting to think it is like picking a beer... its all beer, but sometimes I feel like Harp (OK it is St. Paddy's day) and sometimes I feel like something else. So .. It's all good!!!! So if I get the job, I'll show up in UT and hope for a crawl or caged rat! Cheers !!

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

crawl wrote:I think I am semi happy the vote closed before I got back here
The poll isn't closed; it doesn't have a set length. Make sure you are logged in when trying to vote.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Strangely, with SA it is easier for me to pick a least favorite song than a favorite, And in typical SA fashion, I like some of the non-album songs from this era better than some of the stuff that made it. Anyhow, I voted for I Did My Best as my favorite, although any number of songs could have been chosen as it is a pretty even album. Actually, I think I meant to vote for To My Own Devices. Or,....

I don't care much for the album versions of Crawl and Caged Rat - the dissonance between the loud and quiet sections is jarring in a bad way for me - but have found them tolerable on the live tapes.

I can sorta see why this album doesn't rate as high as other SA albums, though I don't see anything truly "wrong" with the songs. There's just a feeling about this album that's a little apart from the others. And I think the reason the old school hard core fans don't like this album or anything after has more to do with non music reasons. I bet if LYDLS was released as a Jayhawks album the old scenesters would be loving it.

-Rob

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

Another tough one. I chose Eyes of a Child but easily could have gone for Promises Broken, I Did My Best, Nothing to Write Home About or Just Like Anyone...All excellent songs, IMO.

BlackStarr
Lone Rider

Post by BlackStarr »

Best Record EVER!

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re:

Post by lune ellise »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:I guess I'm in the minority here. This is actually one of my least favorite SA albums. I like it, but it would fall in my bottom three. And while I get in the mood to hear particular songs, I almost never listen to it as an album.

That being said, this album has two of my very favorite songs to see them do live: "Just Like Anyone," which just knocks me out live, and "Bittersweetheart," which is one of those songs that is just pure fun and makes me happy -- and watching Dave do his hip wiggle doesn't hurt.

The first time I heard "I Did My Best," I thought it sounded like a CCR song, but then it really grew on me and that's one of those songs I get in the mood to hear pretty regularly. Dave's performance of that song during last December's Volunteers show was one of the highlights of the night for me.
I agree with you! The album contains my favorite songs but as an album this is my LEAST favorite. It's not that I hate it, it's just to pop-ish to me. I actually prefer Candy over this since Candy have some weird/experimental songs on it. Dim Light is just too perfect - it makes me think that it's way too polished by the studio. AND, I hate it when SA thanked Winona Ryder - OK I'm out of topic.

Anyway, I voted for Promises Broken.

By the way, can anybody tell me where SA got that riff in Bittersweetheart? 03:12 onwards (or that riff right after the end of the lyrics, and the song is fading to end)
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Homesick
Warden

Re: Re:

Post by Homesick »

lune ellise wrote:By the way, can anybody tell me where SA got that riff in Bittersweetheart? 03:12 onwards (or that riff right after the end of the lyrics, and the song is fading to end)
I recognize that too! I haven't been able to put my finger on where I recognize it from, though. Anyone else?
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com