What is your favorite song on Grave Dancers Union?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Grave Dancers Union?

Somebody To Shove
14%
Black Gold
3%
Runaway Train
15%
Keep It Up
3%
Homesick
7%
Get On Out
2%
New World
2%
April Fool
8%
Without A Trace
31%
Growing Into You
3%
99%
7%
The Sun Maid
5%

Total votes: 59

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I hardly listen to the radio either anymore. It's either my mp3 player or a CD when I'm in the car. For the stations here in Chicago, they seem to play almost the same songs in heavy rotation. even the oldies, 80's, and 90's stations. The commercials are terrible on some stations too. I've been hearing the same ones for 2 years now (and they'll play them in the same order).

Though last week, I ejected a CD from my car stereo and I heard Summer of Drugs playing. I had to do a double take to actually look if it wasn't playing another disc in my CD changer at the time. It was actually on the radio. Hearing that on there made my day. :D
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

We have a non-profit community radio station in Tampa / St. Pete (WMNF 88.5) that has real dj's playing music - much of it good music. You can listen online at http://www.wmnf.org or you can listen to past shows on archives.

When Silver Lining came out, several of the shows played songs from it and you can hear Golden Smog and Soul Asylum tunes periodically, even the older songs. Plus, they will take requests.

Saturday Asylum on Saturdays 2-4pm and PreDawn Alternative M-F 4-6am in particular play lots of good new and old alternative music. There are several other shows also.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Finally a quick pick for me and I am not alone (the only one who voted for it).. Sun Maid. Really rare to hear them do but such a sweet, short, song and a chance to really hear the harmonies that Dan and Dave do so well.
At one point Dave said " we don't know the words to that" Also a sign of the breadth of the musical appreciation and ability. I think of it as SA's "Hot Dog"

Despite the fact that RT could be old and cliched by now I still love to hear it. "I find something new in each and every move!" It is not my grab a beer song. I really hear it changing over the years and there is no denying it is a classic.

With out a trace, I love. It is a moving song, so while I am leaving, I might as well make a pit stop.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

lucy wrote:We have a non-profit community radio station in Tampa / St. Pete (WMNF 88.5) that has real dj's playing music - much of it good music. You can listen online at http://www.wmnf.org or you can listen to past shows on archives.

When Silver Lining came out, several of the shows played songs from it and you can hear Golden Smog and Soul Asylum tunes periodically, even the older songs. Plus, they will take requests.

Saturday Asylum on Saturdays 2-4pm and PreDawn Alternative M-F 4-6am in particular play lots of good new and old alternative music. There are several other shows also.
I grew up (well for a few years in high school) listening to WMNF. It was a great station, and was great having community supported radio in tampa. Of course, what was on there was often complete hit or miss (there was only so much of the sunday polka hour I could take....).

I do remember years ago, they busted out the vinyl to play Another World Another Day for me (i think that was new years eve 1998 or 1999, not sure). That was a highlight, and they were always good about requests.
Glad to see they actually gave TSL some airtime, it definitely deserved it.

Phil

BlackStarr
Lone Rider

Post by BlackStarr »

I am surprised no one picked Black Gold!! CRAZY! I must say Without a Trace but darn they are all my favorite. Man I just really really really love SA! Grave Dancers Union was always my favorite but now I kind of think it's their worst... The BEST is 'Let Your Dim Light Shine' baby YAH! Love it!! I think the ones people like the the least I like the best. And just because of that doesnt mean I'm a hardcore fan because I surely am :D Tattooed them on me... must mean something! he,he...

BlackStarr
Lone Rider

Post by BlackStarr »

NOT a hardcore fan.. I meant to put. ops...

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite song on Grave Dancers Union?

Post by Judgmental Patient »

I have no problem telling anyone that Somebody to Shove and Without a Trace are the two greatest songs ever written.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re:

Post by lune ellise »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:Please let up on Runaway Train. Overexposure may have nearly killed it for most of you, but it's still a great song.
Yeah, come on guys, they didn't win that Grammy for nothing. Don't HATE it!

I choose April Fool, though I must admit this is one of the records where there is no bad song in it.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

My day was bookended, in a way, by Grave Dancers Union songs.

I slept with the radio on overnight, and right before my alarm went off, I was awakened by the opening riff of Somebody to Shove. While I am not a morning person, hearing SA first thing made it bearable.

I had a long day, and when I got home I played a VH1 Classic 120 Minutes that I recorded. (Note: sadly NOT reruns of the 120 Minutes show that used to be on MTV, but rather just two hours of alternative rock.) Black Gold was one of the videos in this two-hour block.

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

Oh that`s a bad question! And only one option ..... :oops:
I like all songs on this album - it is my favorite album. That`s very hard.
I`ve clicked for "Without a trace".
But if I could have more options I would click for "Black Gold", "Somebody to shove" and "Runaway Train" too. :lol:
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia