2014 Dec. 17 & 18 - 7th Street Entry, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: 2014 Dec. 17 & 18 - 7th Street Entry, Minneapolis, MN

Post by AlyssaJones »

What a great two nights in Minneapolis! Jim and I missed seeing the usual suspects who couldn't make it, but we had a great time hanging with Todd and chatting with a few new people we met. The first night we were front and center, but the second night we decided to sit at the bar in the back. Both spots have their merits, and we're kinda glad we missed all the drama up front on the second night. Plus it was cool being in the back for a change and the sound was better from there.

The second night was definitely my favorite of the two... I enjoyed the setlist more (although night 1 was great) and it just felt a lot less casual and more like it was a special occasion, like the first night was the warm up and the second night is what we really came for. When we went in on the first night, the house lights were up, but on the second night it was completely dark except for the lights on the stage. Also, the openers for night two were way more fun and engaging. Nothing against the Melismatics, but the Step Rockets really brought it and Carnage was amazing. You wouldn't think that a rapper opening for Soul Asylum would ever be a good mix, but he was perfect. I went and chatted with Josh from the Step Rockets for a minute or so between sets and he was really sweet (and hot. :P ) He said they come to Pittsburgh sometimes so I'll be sure to check 'em out when they come down.

Anyway, like I said, SA was awesome (of course). Still loving the new line up and enjoying how well the four of them work as a band. They sounded great and Dave is looking amazing. I think last night's show was probably my favorite of all the times I've seen them, but if not, it at least cracked the top 3. There's just nothing better than seeing your favorite band in their hometown with a bunch of awesome people. I've been kind of obsessed with the Goo Goo Dolls and Gaslight Anthem over the past year or so, but last night reminded me why I love Soul Asylum so much and always will. Johnny Rzeznik might be my king and Brian Fallon might be my savoir, but they could never replace Dave and how much he means to me.

But anyway, we were a little bummed we didn't get a chance to talk to Dave afterwards, but we caught up with Winston later at the Depot and he was lovely to chat with. Jim also talked to Michael before the show on the second night, since he was hanging out on the bench in the back for awhile before things got started. (Btw, the fries at the Depot are UH-MAY-ZING!! We got some both nights and yeah, they were tasty.)

In other Minneapolis anecdotes, Jim and I also went to Minnehaha Falls which was even more impressive in real life than it is in pictures, and this morning we visited Karl at Lakewood Cemetery. I took the paper wristbands off my wrist from last night's show and left them there with one of my good concert Sharpies.

All in all, it was an awesome two days and I'm really glad I had a reason to visit my favorite city again for the first time in 2 1/2 years. The show was great, the trip was great, and I'm excited to see what 2015 has to bring.

Oh, and I loved the new songs that they played. (Almost forgot that, haha.)

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I guess most bands have given up on trying to police the Personal Digital Device scene, but I'd be totally fine with a posted/announced ban on video of any kind. 99% of youtube videos from iphones have awful sound quality anyway. I guess it is somewhat socially accepted when it happens but I'm sure most all the audience would say that screens held up in the air for an entire song is annoying.

Thanks everybody for the reviews. Sounds like it was a nice run of shows!

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

I only made it to the Wedensday show even though I was planning on both. Was a bit sick (thought it was just a cold) but got even sicker after going out but oh well. Glad I got to see at least one. : D

Nice to see you Jim & meet Sarah. : )

I agree some kind of general announcement before the show regarding video would be best because then people wouldn't feel as singled out if they are told "no" as an individual. I was at a show (not SA) and security came to every person as we were seated & said "no photos etc." before the show even started and we had to nod & agree & it seemed to keep people in line pretty well without it feeling personal. (It had that "I'm watching you" feel to it...lol) Sometimes photo/video policy can be confusing & vary from band to band, venue to venue. Clarification before the show would be nice. That being said, I do think bands have the right to protect their intellectual property, but maybe the way I experienced it at the show I just mentioned is a better way to achieve that goal without hurting feelings.

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

I love seeing video from different shows on Youtube. I'd love even more getting to go to all of the shows but unless I win the lottery...

I don't think I'm the only one who searches Youtube after shows to see if anyone put up video? I swear there's usually more views than just me ;) There's better and better potential for at least decent quality with every new upgrade and I have even seen phone vids that were quite watchable (this wasn't the case even a few years ago). BUT if you're in the middle of a bunch of people holding your camera or phone over your head...probably not going to be at all watchable so why bother? I've made friends through videos we've shot at concerts and put on YT, people excited to see a show they weren't at (or one that they were). I don't feel like fans sharing videos and photos with fans is really taking away from the band's intellectual property. TBH a band that would send a security guard to every audience member to sternly tell them "no pictures, no video, no exceptions and this means you!!!!! We will be watching!!!!!!!!!!!" would be a huge turn off to me. I'd probably forgive SA for it because...well SA. But it would still make me feel a bit differently about them. And I'd struggle to want to go see a band I loved less again. It just comes off as very douche-y and not very rock n roll to me. Maybe I'm wrong but it's how I feel about it. Also douche-y for people to be holding their phones in people's lines of vision all night, to be texting with their BFF through the whole show, talking through the whole show, screaming lines they know as loud as they possibly can while sloshing beer on the people near them, holding their phone inches from the performer's face and so.many.other.things.

Anyway....it sounds like (from the other thread) there was a general announcement made before the show last night along the lines of photo/video is ok but don't go crazy with it. Seems very reasonable and a good way to go. Hope everyone respected that request...one shouldn't spend the whole show staring at their device. You're at a SA show after all! I'm so, so sad that there was no possible way for me to make these shows. I have wanted to see SA in Minneapolis since I was 11 and this time, the show in St Cloud fell on my Bday and I actually have a bit of extra money (which is a super rare occurrence!). It would have been so perfect. The setlists look AWESOME! Sigh. I work at a grooming shop and the holiday dog scrubbing waits for no one. So I will have to continue to dream that one day...maybe I will get to see them play in Minneapolis. Their upcoming tour and album can not come soon enough for me!

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Another fallout, possibly perceived as the "intellectual property" concern, from this era is that bands rarely play as-yet unreleased material anymore. A few bands I follow used to regularly trot out unreleased songs. It's different now than in the days of audio-taping and tape-trading, when few people had the gear to make tapes, and relatively small numbers made the effort to conduct physical trades. Now with with the ability to upload songs instantaneously to the whole world, bands are being somewhat less adventurous in their setlists, and also less likely to toss out an improv or spontaneous cover. That's too bad.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Maybe if they stopped boycotting the rest of the world, then we non American fans wouldn't have to rely only on youtube to catch a glimpse of them.

rthrbtrvln
Inmate

Post by rthrbtrvln »

Closer wrote:Maybe if they stopped boycotting the rest of the world, then we non American fans wouldn't have to rely only on youtube to catch a glimpse of them.
'boycott' is a strong word, with negative connotations. maybe it's a financial hurdle, it must cost bundles to tour. what kind of $$ can they be making when so many folks these days try to avoid paying for music (that's not me); and SA is playing shows with low ticket prices. I bet with the new album release they will be spreading joy far and wide. and often. let's hope. :)

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

rthrbtrvln wrote:
Closer wrote:Maybe if they stopped boycotting the rest of the world, then we non American fans wouldn't have to rely only on youtube to catch a glimpse of them.
'boycott' is a strong word, with negative connotations. maybe it's a financial hurdle, it must cost bundles to tour. what kind of $$ can they be making when so many folks these days try to avoid paying for music (that's not me); and SA is playing shows with low ticket prices. I bet with the new album release they will be spreading joy far and wide. and often. let's hope. :)
Don't take it so literally. I think because this band has become a part time thing for them in the last fifteen years, they kept everything close to home. They haven't been in Europe for twenty years (except for two festival gigs in Spain) and they probably wouldn't be able to sell many tickets. Three years ago they had two European shows planned in London and Brussels, but they got cancelled at the last minute without any given reason, but I think it also might be because they didn't manage to sell many tickets. That is what happens when you ''neglect'' a continent for twenty years.

But I don't think it's only a financial hurdle like you say, bands only make money by touring these days. There are a lot of indie bands that tour the world, so if they would really want to then I'm sure they could pull it off with the right promotion and if they don't mind playing very tiny clubs (which is what they do in the USA anyway)... at least they have a ''global hit'' under their belt that is still being played on the radio all over the world, that they could benefit from.

The point I was trying to make is that for people outside of the USA youtube is the only way to ''see'' the band live, and I personally don't think the band or management should make a big fuss about it.

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

I'm not sure that fan filmed YT videos are causing people to not buy music any more. I suspect most people searching YT for the most recent SA videos are also people who are going to buy whatever they release. And are going to pay to see them live whenever they can. It seems harder and harder to make money off of music (or anything creative really)but I think there's a lot of reasons for that. A big one would be the memberships that allow people unlimited access to music. You can "have" whatever albums you want and the artists get next to nothing, no matter how many plays the music gets. I also think people are far more distracted now than ever and the distraction makes buying music less of a priority for many. I've heard a lot of people say they rarely listen to albums any more, instead they listen to satellite radio channels. I think a lot of people also have so many monthly bills for devices and media subscriptions, they don't feel the need to spend more to have actual copies of the music they like. But also...I really think that people are just distracted. They're addicted to their devices and constantly overwhelmed by new shiny things unless they have a strong emotional attachment to a certain band or the music is being heavily promoted where ever they get their music, it's easy for them to forgot.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

So......for anyone who grabbed a setlist, or saw one on stage during the show(s), anyone know what the new song titles were called ??
TIA !
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.