June 22nd - Bowery Ballroom NYC

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
ArmyKat
Inmate

June 22nd - Bowery Ballroom NYC

Post by ArmyKat »

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: June 22nd - Bowery Ballroom NYC

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Just did some googling. Found an enthusiastic review of both bands incl. photos and videos:
http://concertconfessions.com/2015/06/m ... ty-062215/

And just for kicks here's a review of SA's 2005 show at Bowery:
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... lum-1.html
Last edited by Yaz McBoo on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

Neither of your links work. ;)

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

OK. They should be good now.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I think I spotted Brian and Carin in some of those pictures.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

The Meat Puppets were much more put-together this night, and their set was immensely more enjoyable than at Brooklyn Bowl. It wasn't entirely devoid of mischievousness, but the element of anticipated disaster was missing.

Can't vouch for the sound as I was again up front, where it always sounds a bit muffled. However the videos from the review I linked to sound very good, and Bowery is usually known to deliver good sound.

SA is a bit different than previously yes, but I like the new songs, and even new takes on old songs. Made To Be Broken sounds really great, for example. Make of it what you will, but I still enjoy this band very much and can't wait to hear what else they have in store for us.

ArmyKat
Inmate

Post by ArmyKat »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:I think I spotted Brian and Carin in some of those pictures.

Haha! Only 3 things are inevitable in life: Death, taxes, and us making fools of ourselves up front.

Amazing pics, as always, Rob!

I agree wholeheartedly with Rob's review. While it was disappointing to hear the exact same set list 3 nights in a row (Philly and NYCx2), the band sounded great and looked like they were having fun. I couldn't make out all the lyrics, but I really enjoyed the sound of Can't Help It and Supersonic. Yes, this line-up has a very different feel to it. But I personally would find it offensive if Justin tried to replicate Dan, Winston tried to imitate Karl, or Michael was anyone other than his badass self.

Sad Daydream
Marionette

Post by Sad Daydream »

I am glad this show was good. However, one of the things I always loved about SA is how they switched up set-lists. In the past I have seen them twice within the same week, and the sets were half different from one another. I wish I opted to go to this show instead of BB (I know, I know, I've whined enough), but considering they were the same sets, I'm glad I didn't go more than once. I will certainly see them when they come around again. And thanks for the pics, and review links!

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

LOL, and thanks Carin!

Sad Daydream - what tour(s) did you see them on? Certainly the last couple of years they have mixed up the setlists. But as recently as early 2013 they were doing the same set every night, with the only variations coming in the 2-song encore. Before Dan left, the band really wasn't doing "tours" as much as they were doing scattered one-offs, so it's hard to compare "night to night" shows of that era to now, when they have regularly been doing full-on tours with multiple shows in close geographic proximity. Even in 2006 when they toured for The Silver Lining, the shows I saw had nearly, if not entirely, identical setlists. So I'm actually used to the band having a standard set.

Even though a few people have have different views of these shows I am glad there is some chatter. Thanks Sad Daydream for chiming in! I hope the next show you attend makes a better impression on you.

Made2bebroken
Lone Rider

Post by Made2bebroken »

After monday my love for SA has come back in full force and I decided to join the forum so I could discuss how much fun I had.

Thought the show was great. This was my first SA show since Dan left and at first I was worried but the more I thought about it the more ok I was with it. Mike's the best drummer they ever had and even though no one can replace Karl, their new bass player seems to really enjoy playing with them and feels like more apart of the band than Tommy.

Even though the show in Riverhead is a lot closer to my house I picked the NYC show over that one cause I love the Bowery Ballroom. But both bands played so good I decided to pick up tickets for friday as well.