Questions: Promises Broken, Grant Young, Aqua Man shirt

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
GroovyYeti
Stranger

Questions: Promises Broken, Grant Young, Aqua Man shirt

Post by GroovyYeti »

Hey all! First post here, I've been a lurker for a long time. Love SA. I have a few burning questions that I was hoping you all could share some insight on. I did browse the forum and didn't see these answers asked/answered yet, I apologize if they have been already addressed.

1. Has Soul Asylum performed "Promises Broken" since Dan Murphy left? It wouldn't be the same hearing Dave sing the lead vocals on it, but it would be interesting to hear.

2. If Grant Young parted from Soul Asylum during Grave Dancers Union - why is he in all the videos and all the live performances I see supporting the album? At what point did Sterling Campbell come in? Sterling is credited with drums, but it seems weird to be that he would record parts of the album while Grant was still seen doing all the live perfomances.

3. Is there any story or info on the Aqua Man shirt? He seems to wear it in almost every live video I've been able to find since 2012.

Thanks all!

swendo
Runaway

Re: Questions: Promises Broken, Grant Young, Aqua Man shirt

Post by swendo »

Hey. Props to you for posting :) Since you hadn't gotten a response for your first message, I'll take a stab at providing some insight for you.

"1. Has Soul Asylum performed "Promises Broken" since Dan Murphy left? It wouldn't be the same hearing Dave sing the lead vocals on it, but it would be interesting to hear."

I'm no authority on these things, but I'd say it had been a while that they'd played "Promises Broken" (great song - that bridge!) even when Dan was with the band. I definitely don't think they've played "Cartoon" since he left (and "Gone 'Til November" correspondingly), which was a show staple and what most would probably consider THE Dan song (and if they did do this w/o Dan, I know I'd puke in my mouth a little.) As an SA and Dan fan, what wouldn't be more awesome than an album of Dan songs?

2. I really don't know. Probably scheduling/band personal reasons/legal beeswax/who knows? It happened.

3. As a (ahem) Creature of Habit (check the shoes), Dave probably just likes that shirt and/or Aquaman. Good question for him, though.
There's a ringing in my ears that's Heaven-sent

GroovyYeti
Stranger

Post by GroovyYeti »

Thanks for the reply!

I've always felt like Dan didn't get enough credit for his talents. I would definitely love an album of Dan songs.

And yeah, I'm sure the drummer situation is like you said. I just found it confusing because Sterling is credited on the Grave Dancer album, but Grant was definitely doing shows after the release.

Ah Dave's grungy white chucks - I've always loved his devil-may-care style. :)

Thanks again for the reply.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

"Promises Broken" is one of my favorite songs from SA. As much as I'd love to hear it live, I don't want to hear it without Dan.

rthrbtrvln
Inmate

Post by rthrbtrvln »

from what i've heard Dave has always been really into comics. i brought a few older Aquaman comics to a show this week for him and he proceeded to start telling me how Aquaman is the strongest superhero. i don't know, is he? then he told me the character is getting a new look. i sort of stopped him mid-sentence and told him to just enjoy them as tour bus entertainment, i had no interest in comics. but I wasn't rude or anything, i was polite about it.

GroovyYeti
Stranger

Post by GroovyYeti »

@ Mystic_spiral_3: "Promises Broken" is one of my favorite songs from SA as well, I know they performed it on one of the Late Shows and had a video so I'm assuming it was a single, and since "Dim Light" is probably their 2nd most popular album I didn't know if they would still attempt to perform the song without Dan. But I agree it definitely wouldn't be the same. I honestly get a little sad watching SA without Dan up there. Don't get me wrong I still love the band, is just gives my heart a feeling of loneliness when I see Dave up there without Dan.

@ rthrbtrvln: Aquaman is indeed getting a new look, Dave was right about that. There is a movie coming out and Aquaman is played by Jason Momoa (who played "Khal Drogo" in Game of Thrones). He's not the short blonde haired guy on Dave's shirt, now he's a large samoan with long black dreadlockish hair. I'm so jealous of anyone who has had the honor of chatting with Dave.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I believe that Michael Beinhorn, the producer of GDU, wasn't too happy with Grant's performance so they hired Sterling to play on some of the songs. Why they kept Grant in the band after the recording of that album? Maybe because he was their friend and longtime bandmate, but eventually they ditched him anyway and hired Sterling because he is a better drummer.

Chicago Carol
Brand New Shine

Post by Chicago Carol »

I've been a Soul Asylum fan for many years, but this is my first post.
A few years ago, I gave Dave a new Aqua Man shirt (bought for my son, but don't think it was ever worn). It was an epic SA moment - I tossed it on stage, after he saw it & mouthed "is that for ME?" He didn't see me toss it, but Kim made sure he got it - and said he was very excited. I was thrilled to see him wearing it at the House of Blues June 7...and am hoping that IS the shirt I gave him.
I've been fortunate to have met Dave & the guys a few times - I have a shirt that he's signed on 3 occasions. Once I didn't have anything for an autograph, so I asked him to sign my arm. He did, joyfully. I covered it with plastic wrap when I showered. Many happy Soul Asylum memories!!

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Cartoon and Bittersweetheart both kill live and not getting to see them anymore is one of the worst parts of Dan being gone to me.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

Judgmental Patient wrote:Cartoon and Bittersweetheart both kill live and not getting to see them anymore is one of the worst parts of Dan being gone to me.
What makes you think you will never see Bittersweetheart performed again?