Album Title Announced: Change of Fortune

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
irreverentsoul
Runaway

Album Title Announced: Change of Fortune

Post by irreverentsoul »

North Bay Bohemian

Soul Man
Soul Asylum's Dave Pirner looks back, thinks forward

by Charlie Swanson
July 15, 2015

BRAND NEW SHINE Dave Pirner slips sounds of New Orleans, his adopted hometown, into new Soul Asylum album. - MICHAEL L. SMITH

Michael L. Smith
BRAND NEW SHINE Dave Pirner slips sounds of New Orleans, his adopted hometown, into new Soul Asylum album.

'I think I always kind of wanted to be a drummer," says Dave Pirner.

The frontman and songwriter behind platinum-selling alternative rock band Soul Asylum may have begun his career behind the kit, but he's known the world over as the voice behind massive '90s hits like "Runaway Train." With a new album in the works, Soul Asylum perform with long-time punk rock friends the Meat Puppets in Napa on July 26.

Speaking from his adopted hometown of New Orleans, Pirner talks about growing up in Minneapolis, where Soul Asylum first took shape in 1981.

"I started to realize there was music happening in the city," Pirner says. "It was a revelation to me, like, 'Wow, I could do this too.' I didn't know you could do it just because you wanted to."

By the time Soul Asylum released their iconic "Runaway Train" in 1992, the band was already a decade and six albums into their career. Pirner recalls that he was so deep in the trenches of touring and publicity then that he hardly had time to appreciate the moment. "[The song] has gone beyond music into popular culture in a way that I don't think anybody was ready for," he laughs.

For the past 15 years, Pirner has lived in the cultural melting pot of New Orleans, and the town has seeped into his psyche. "That can't not become a part of you," he says. "There's a lot of syncopation and polyrhythms in New Orleans music. I was hearing this and feeling this, and said, 'I need to be a part of this.'"

Pirner is in the midst of finalizing Soul Asylum's 11th album, set for release in late August and tentatively titled Change of Fortune. "It's really taken a big step forward," Pirner says. "This record is pretty incredible to me, as far as what we can do with the band and how many different directions we can take it in."

The album, he says, embraces music in the most open-minded way possible. "I think that's what keeps it fresh and interesting. There are some things on this record I've always wanted to do, and I finally get to write them into songs that are coming from a lot of different places, a lot of different kinds of music that are all important to me."

The band's upcoming concert will include plenty of new songs, but will also reach back to the band's earliest days. "It's probably the widest swath of Soul Asylum music that's ever been presented, as far as handpicking songs from the entire canon."

Soul Asylum share the bill with the Meat Puppets on Sunday, July 26, at the Uptown Theatre, 1350 Third St., Napa. 8pm. $25–$50. 707.259.0123.
Tags
Comments
Add a comment

© 2015 North Bay Bohemian

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Re: Change of Fortune

Post by nikkip »

I love the name, seems very fitting.

And LATE AUGUST?!?!

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

AWESOME!

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

It's no longer tentative, but official:

https://instagram.com/p/5KxSToiYxS/?tak ... asylumband

"soulasylumband
So here it is! Pleased to confirm thay our new record will be called 'Change of Fortune'! Which is available to pre order over at our Pledge Music page!"

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

A bunch of song titles are in an earlier photo from the Instagram feed:

https://instagram.com/p/2BENH4iYwU/

Change of Fortune
Make it Real (Must be a Scorpions cover, right?)
Ladies Man
Dream ???
When I see you ???
Don't Bother Me
Dealing
Supersonic
Morgan's Dog
???
Moonshine

I get the impression they recorded a lot of songs; so I hope we get more than a 10-12 song album this time. :-) Or at least the extras via Pledgemusic.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I'm guessing some of your question marks are "Doomsday" and "Can't Help It." I can barely see any of the titles on my work monitor though.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2284

lampros
Caged Rat

Post by lampros »

During Dave's video on ''PLEDGE MUSIC'' about the new album's name someone can see a new, in my perception, ''SA'' logo!!!
In previous Dave's interview he had mentioned that the band recorded 14-16 original songs for the upcoming album! We are getting close to our ''Change of fortune''!!! Because of the ''PLEDGE'' procedure i think that ''our'' is meaningful!

zany
Social Butterfly

Re: Album Title Announced: Change of Fortune

Post by zany »

late august is a lot sooner than i was expecting. i will try to keep my expectations low(late) so that i'm not disappointed by any delays... : )

EyeSeeYou
Caged Rat

Post by EyeSeeYou »

I like the name. Any specific release date? If it's slated for a late Aug release, shouldn't there have been a first single put out already?

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

So far we have

1. Supersonic
2. Can't Help It
3. Doomsday
4. Ladies Man
5. When I See You
6. Moonshine
7. Make It Real