What is your favorite song on And the Horse They Rode In On?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

Spinnin'
7%
Bitter Pill
2%
Veil of Tears
13%
Nice Guys (Don't Get Paid)
7%
Something Out of Nothing
5%
Gullible's Travels
13%
Brand New Shine
3%
Easy Street
15%
Grounded
3%
Be On Your Way
3%
We 3
15%
All the King's Friends
13%

Total votes: 60

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Alright, time for another survey about your favorite songs on the band's albums. This week: And the Horse They Rode In On.

For this album, more than any of the others, I've chosen my favorite primarily because of the song's message: Easy Street. Dave and Dan (it's the only SA song composed by both of them) describe a grim subject with a rare, almost unique perspective, maintaining the seriousness of the situation while still pointing out that there's joy and hope beyond the despair. There might be other songs on the album that I would prefer if looking at them purely musically, but when taking into consideration everything else that Easy Street offers, it wins out over the others.

I still enjoy all of the other songs on the album. Grounded in has a special kind of charm, Gullible's Travels is a brilliant contribution by Dan, and All the King's Friends makes for a cool and unique closing song.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I guess either "Veil of Tears" or "Grounded". I chose "Grounded" now.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

This is a tough one.. or almost a tough one. I absolutely love horse, and consider it to be my favorite SA album. Every track on it is great, and it almost makes picking a favorite difficult. Looking through the list, there's an old favorite of mine, Nice Guys (which I'd LOVE to see them play again), Gullibles Travels, All The Kings Friends, Spinnin', and of course Easy Street (although I'm surprised to see it's as popular as it is), among others.

However for me one song outshines the other, and that is We 3. I absolutely love this song. It's helped me get through so much, and in many respects defines the entire album for me. I'll leave my mention of it at that however as this has already been discussed to death in another thread.

phil

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

These polls are tough. Gullibles Travels has the best bridge ever, Nice Guys is just an amazing amazing song all the way around..trying to pick a favorite before coffee, oh my god.

I went with Easy Street. For a number of reasons over the years I've related to it strongly, and well....it's one of those songs for me.

And on a totally stupid girly note, it has the cutest video ever :wink: :roll:

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Wow! I'm surprised to see Easy Street winning by this much. I like the song—obviously, since I voted for it myself—but I was expecting Nice Guys and We 3 to harvest a few more points and take the lead. (Things may still develop differently, of course.)

To be honest, I think Veil of Tears sounds more "anonymous" than anything else on the album. It's got somewhat of a nice feel to it, but I've never felt that it really sticks with you like some of the other songs.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

Just like all the polls before, this was difficult. I went with Nice Guys today, but ask me next week and my answer might change.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I went with Easy Street as well, though Be On Your Way and All the Kings Friends were close behind. I know there is a lot of love for Hang Time but I think of Horse as being the height of SA as far as albums go (even if I think their all-time top 2 or 3 songs might be on other records). It doesn't sound like their 80s catalog and doesn't have much in common with their 90s output; Horse is its own thing, and for some reason seems to have suffered in the live repertoire - so many of these songs should be concert staples. There's a couple songs I could do without - Bitter Pill and Something Out of Nothing, but other than that, the album is as close to perfect as SA have released.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

These polls are always difficult; picking a favorite song on any these cd's/ albums is like asking what is your favorite Tiger Woods moment.

The most recent show at First Avenue opened with Easy Street; certainly unexpected; but an awesome way to open the show. That's what made/ makes (until recently; thankfully for this show they changed it up) Soul Asylum so great in concert. You never knew/ know what songs to expect in concert.

With all of that said and if forced to list my all time favorite Soul Asylum songs; Veil of Tears makes my top 5, so that is what I went with. However; there isn't a clunker in the bunch, as "Horse" and "Hang TIme" are my 2 favorite cd's.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I'm going with All the King's Friends. Easy Street, Gullible's Travels, and We 3 are all great songs, but I really enjoy the final track the best. It seems to really stand out on the album for me. From the lyrics, to the bridge (which part of it is in my signature below), and the overall feel to it is just all around sweet. It's a great closing song for the album. This is probably my top song that I'd like to hear live (SA opening with Easy Street in December at First Avenue was awesome too; that was another song I'd always wanted to hear live).

On a similar note, I know many SA fans were disappointed with Horse when it came out, and how it sounds a lot different from their previous albums; but I think its one of their best albums. I'm always shocked/surprised to see how many copies of Horse are actually sitting in the used CD stores. Definitely the most underrated album in Soul Asylum's catalog in my opinion.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

whileyouwereout
O'Jeezer

Post by whileyouwereout »

Another difficult choice, another brilliant album. Despite being poorly produced, it's a solid album from front to back. My top two songs are Be On Your Way and All the King's Friends...I had to go with the latter for this poll. They are all EXCELLENT tunes. I agree with Sheryl - Easy Street has the cutest video I've ever seen. :D
Hang Time and Horse are my two favorite SA albums, though Made to Be Broken and While You Were Out are right up there along with Silver Lining. Hell, the only album of theirs that hasn't grabbed me is Candy...not sure what I'm missing with that one.

As for some SA fans being disappointed with Horse when it came out - I was not one of those! I remember buying a promo cassette copy the day it showed up at the local record store and listening to it over and over and over - loving every note. At that time Spinnin' was my favorite. "My little world has lost control..."
Last edited by whileyouwereout on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's men without gods and gods without men and a spirit of which none of them can transcend...