The Silver Bullet & The Silver Lining (2008 April Fool's)

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

The Silver Bullet & The Silver Lining (2008 April Fool's)

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I posted a little update about the commercial which can be viewed at the bottom of this page.

------

A few hours ago I recieved an email to the site with a press release and video attachment.

Here's part of it:

The Silver Bullet Teams Up With The Silver Lining

Draftfcb is proud to announce a new commercial between Molson Coors Brewing Company and Minneapolis rock group Soul Asylum. The Golden, Colorado company, brewers of Coors, The Silver Bullet are releasing 3 new commercials for their new advertising campaign. This campaign will introduce the brewers 1980's design of cans and bottles, which will be launched in select areas around the country in the next few weeks.

The first of three commercials Standing Water, is the name of Soul Asylum's song from their 2006 album, The Silver Lining. The feel of the video hopes to encapture the style of an older filmed home video while friends enjoy their outdoor activities. Other bands and songs have already been contracted for the campaign.

This campaign will be the first for Coors to display a band's song during the commercial. Many Draftfcb commercials in the past year have been advertising commercials this way and it proves to be successful.

--------

There was a lot more stuff in the press release, but it wasn't relevant.

YouTube wouldn't let me upload the weird type of video format I recieved it with, so I had to convert it. I assume some of the quality got lost through the conversion (though it does kinda of give it "older looking feel" to the style of the video).

I'm assuming that there will be a voice over in the commercial judging by the very beginning stating "Test Version 2 (No VO)".

Anyways, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czqYfTqIPk

Enjoy!

I got to get to get up early, so I'll share my opinion later on today.
Last edited by Monolith Maniac on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:28 am, edited 7 times in total.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I think it's great that the guys got this commercial, and hopefully this leads to some more exposure for them. However watching this commercial really makes me wonder what these ad people are thinking.

Mass produced american beers are already ridiculed for being like water, and now they're going to show a commercial for beer with the line "it's like standing water .. . " in it. The song actually works really well with the video footage and all, but standing water does not make me think of beer, at least, not any beers that I'm particularly fond of (for the record, I am a beer snob).

phil

peacelovesoulasylum
Brand New Shine

Post by peacelovesoulasylum »

I agree, it does kinda make it seem like the beer will be like "standing water" but it is still cool to see SA's songs pop up every once and a while... who knows, hopefully this does lead to more exposure. You can never have too much SA!
all in all, all is well
peace&love

clammers
Social Butterfly

Post by clammers »

You have to keep in mind that Coors is made from the cool mountain spring waters of the Rocky Mountains...so it's a very good fit.
"...and who is the hound at the downtown dog pound who speaks english when the watchman's not in sight?"

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

It's good for them. More money in the pocket. More exposure.
But when it comes down to the artist's point of view I'm not sure. I'm a musician myself, or at least like to think of myself as one, and I don't know if I would want to attach my music to any kind of commercial or product, unless it would be for a good cause, but not to make money.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Coors has never advertised it's beer. Only it's exceptional water :) Weird.

The song and the footage certainly do go well together. Given that its Coors, it works I suppose. It's a little weird maybe. And it will never make me sad to turn on the tv and unexpectedly get a little Soul Asylum.

I'm about to reveal myself as that most evil of all music lovers..someone who just doesn't care if artists sell their music to advertise. I've never cared and I've never understood why anyone else should care.

And in fact I've been turned on to a band or two by hearing a song in a commercial and thinking "what is that song? i like that!" and then going after it.

But I keep waiting for someone to jump up and say "APRIL FOOLS!"

Moto Geek
Inmate

Post by Moto Geek »

This has to be a subliminal message to enjoy some beers at a SA gig. :shock:
"Standing in the sun with a popsicle - everything is possible!"

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

I have mixed feelings. It's good for the band in terms of exposure and money, but still, it makes me a little sad. Then again, I was sad when I heard "Whip It" being used to sell glorified dust rags and I'm not even a Devo fan.
sheryl wrote:I'm about to reveal myself as that most evil of all music lovers..someone who just doesn't care if artists sell their music to advertise. I've never cared and I've never understood why anyone else should care.
Speaking for only myself, the reason it bothers me is that I don't want to think of beer every time I hear "Standing Water". That's what commercials do by sheer exposure.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but as far as I can tell, the lyrics seem to sync up with the visuals: "running wild through the trees" accompanied by the footage of that girl running, "too soon, too fast" when filming from inside the car, and so on. It's pretty neat, actually—definitely more well-thought out than a lot of commercials out there.

To be honest, I generally don't like it when bands advertise for stuff. Beer commercials in particular bring kind of a dubious feel to the whole thing, if you ask me. Still, like a previous poster said, you can never have too much Soul Asylum—and I guess to some degree this does make up for the fact that Standing Water didn't become the summer hit I had hoped it to be. ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Artistically speaking, this song fits very well into the ad...images and music are perfectly in sync. Commercially speaking, I'm glad to see SA will get more exposure, but I still have a little bit of mixed feelings. I hope it doesn't become known as, "You know, that water/waterfall/Coors song," (like RT became known as "that train song") though I wouldn't be surprised one bit if that turns out to be the case.