Tramps NYC - I know this is a LONG shot

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
boo3939
Stranger

Tramps NYC - I know this is a LONG shot

Post by boo3939 »

Hey everyone!!!

Have a great story and a plea to all you fans out there! Sometime in the early 1990's (hope someone out there can confirm!) a friend of mine found out about an unscheduled Soul Asylum show playing at a small club in NYC. They were in town for some TV thing, I cannot remember what. It was supposed to be 3 of us but one of our friends bailed bc she didnt feel well and it was a blizzard out there.

We trek to Manhattan in this horrible weather. NO ONE is outside. We get to Tramps (which sadly does not exist anymore) and we walk in and the place is empty. We waited to see more people because, you know, it was Soul Asylum who were pretty mainstream popular at the time. MAYBE 15-20 people showed. it was almost like our own private concert! Dave Pirner who was no doubt hammered at the time was walking around just hanging out. We approached him and asked if he could do us a big favor. Of course there were no cell phones at that time, so we went to the pay phone in the club and called our friend and gave him the phone. We told him to make her feel absolutely terrible for not showing up. He was AWESOME! he completely made her feel bad and she didnt believe it was really him. we had to convince her over and over. she was mortified...but to this day remembers that day! haha

that being said, I have no freakin idea when this show was! it doesn't seem to show up on any set list site and I had a bunch of flyers that i saved, but they are all gone. I have done searches of all their NYC shows including all the Tramps shows they did, but none of those days it snowed....yes, I checked the historical weather forecasts for NYC haha.

PLEASE if this rings a bell for anyone out there or if anyone knows a way I could find out, that would be great! It was a small club show, so there were no tickets or stubs to save. I have no proof of this show! Based on other things, it had to be between 1992-1994.

Please help solve this mystery for me and my friend Eric!

thank you! :D

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: Tramps NYC - I know this is a LONG shot

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Sure there was a blizzard? All the early 1990s shows, at least that we have record of, are warm-weather gigs.

Could it have been this one? I think you'd recall if the Boss was there, however.

1995 March 6th Tramps (setlist) New York City, New York Cellophane opened
with Bruce Springsteen on The Tracks of My Tears

boo3939
Stranger

Post by boo3939 »

Definitely was snowing and DEFINITELY would have remembered the Boss lol

i know, it's crazy....there seems to be no online record of this show. 1995 would have been too late as my friend Eric moved to florida then.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

the archives found on this site are listing these dates for the band playing at Tramps during the 90's:

9-24-91 Tramps, New York City, NY
09-29-92 Tramps, New York City, NY
03-06-95 Tramps, New York City, NY
04-23-97 Tramps, New York City, NY
05-15-98 Tramps, New York City, NY
09-11-99 Tramps, New York City, NY

Are the archives found on this site complete? Well no they aren't and I'm sure there are many secret/last minute shows that are unknown to the vast majority of folks. Like those Marlboro Tours the band was doing during this same time frame are largely undocumented, and there was/were a couple of those tours the band did.

But as for info on the show you are asking about, unless someone else here was actually at that show and remembers it, I'm afraid you aren't going to find much for info here about that one.....
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

boo3939
Stranger

Post by boo3939 »

thank you! I had a feeling it would be impossible, but I figured I had to try.

boo3939
Stranger

Post by boo3939 »

So, I was randomly looking through old pictures and I came upon a picture of my room when I lived at home. On the wall of hair metal posters I found the poster for this show! Please disregard the cheesy band pictures...but on the left hand side you will see a Tramps poster promoting a surprise show at Tramps on Feb 21 (and we figured it out it was 1993). I checked setlist.fm and they played 2 shows at the Beacon Feb 19 and 20th and then had a week break. So, this makes perfect sense. This still doesnt give me any clarification as to why there is no record of this show, but I now have the proof that I was looking for that it did indeed happen! haha

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

I'm so glad you finally figured it out. Wished I could have helped you with that one. One time when I at the 400 Bar Dave played solo with Mason Jennings. 15 or so people there. I remember that "not real" feeling. :)

boo3939
Stranger

Post by boo3939 »

thank you!

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

That's pretty cool, glad you found the photo!