Candy From A Stranger 19 Years Old

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Candy From A Stranger 19 Years Old

Post by OneLovedBand »

Candy From A Stranger was released on 5/12/98 making it 19 years old today. Anyone remeber that day? I remember buying my copy at Electric Fetus and getting the bonus disc that went with it.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: Candy From A Stranger 19 Years Old

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I remember getting it the day it was out in stores and I'm pretty sure I went to the local record store for it.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Yep. No bonus disc for me though. And later that week they played NYC the very night I got home from college in upstate NY. That was convenient. It was actually the first ever show I went to on my own.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I remember hearing I Will Still Be Laughing on the radio and realizing they had a new album out. I wasn't online yet in 1998 and magazines didn't really give them much attention anymore so that's how I found out. Even though I don't like the production on this album too much, and I believe the band felt the same way, I still think this might be one of my favourites. And I loved the bonus disc... Die In Your Arms and I Should Have Stayed In Bed are great and should have made the album.

irreverentsoul
Runaway

Post by irreverentsoul »

I was working in Downtown Minneapolis at the time. I took a break from work at 10:00am so I could get to the only downtown record store, Let It Be, when it opened. I purchase a CD and Blue Vinyl LP. I also received the "Losin' It" promo CD and Promo Poster.

I loved the CFAS album at the time and still love many of the tracks. Sometime after that I acquired the "Overreactors" bootleg that was record in 1996 and included much of the material that would end up on CFAS. Unfortunately, the production team sucked the life out of the songs on CFAS. All you need to do is listen to a live version of "I Will Still Be Laughing" and compare it to the lifeless, soft rock sounding song that ended up on CFAS.

"See You Later" is still one of my favorite songs...as is "Candy From A Stranger", a song that was did not make the cut for the album. Really???

EyeSeeYou
Caged Rat

Post by EyeSeeYou »

Closer wrote:I remember hearing I Will Still Be Laughing on the radio and realizing they had a new album out. I wasn't online yet in 1998
Similar case here, only that I learnt about it on MTV by watching its video.

Such an underrated and obscure record! I still love it! Draggin' the Lake, Close and NY Blackout are among my all-time faves.

PS: what was the bonus disc all about?

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

EyeSeeYou wrote:
Closer wrote: PS: what was the bonus disc all about?
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't read it until now. The bonus disc consisted out of 5 live songs from that show in Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItBzFEgsSHQ

EyeSeeYou
Caged Rat

Post by EyeSeeYou »

Thanx! How come the band never released an official live concert on VHS/ DVD when they were in the spotlight!

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

No idea. They were considered one of the best live acts around for a long time, so it would have made sense.