What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Stand Up and Be Strong
5%
Lately
6%
Crazy Mixed Up World
9%
All Is Well
14%
Bus Named Desire
8%
Whatcha Need
2%
Standing Water
3%
Success Is Not So Sweet
8%
The Great Exaggerator
8%
Oxygen
31%
Good For You
No votes
Slowly Rising
5%
Fearless Leader
3%

Total votes: 65

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Sometime to Return wrote:Crazy Little Women...

Well said in your last post about high standards. I agree.

Of course; you are entitled to your own opinion and all is forgiven even if you still said you didn't like "stand."

I just love the passion and enthusiasm we all share for this band. The is the first and only "chat room" type of stuff I have ever done. I am enjoying sharing my thoughts/ passion and hearing others thoughts/ passion for "our band." This website is really to good to be true.
Agreed. This is also my first experience with posting in these kinds of forums. It's fun to "talk" to other people who love Soul Asylum. My friends directed me to find a fansite because they are not SA fans and got tired of my endless babbling. I'm glad they did. It's much more fun to talk about music with people who actually listen to it.

g8trcarol and Sometime to Return: Thanks for the forgiveness.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Post by lune ellise »

The lyrics for Fearless Leader is awesome but I think SA could have come up with a better melody.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

jasonC
Caged Rat

Post by jasonC »

I voted for Success Is Not So Sweet because I absolutely love that song, its incredible.

Mary
Marionette

Post by Mary »

My favourite song is Oxigen, it's an explosion of energy and the voice of Dave in this song is sooooo sexy ;)
I like also All is well and The great exaggerator.
"...and you can't believe in yourself,
you can't believe in anyone else,
so why sit and wait for the new world to begin.."

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

In reading through my old posts, I find that my opinion on Stand Up and Be Strong has evolved. Formulaic or not, anthem song or not, it's a powerful song that never fails to make me feel better and optimistic after hearing it.

If Oxygen wasn't on this album, then I'd find myself trying to decide between voting for this or Standing Water as my favorite; and even though I think Standing Water is a better song, I'd vote for Stand Up and Be Strong just because I relate to it so much. Besides, I love the intro. :D

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

All songs are great. But my favorite song on this album is "Oxygen". :D *aaaww* :mrgreen:
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia

FnSquirrel
Marionette

Post by FnSquirrel »

Bus Named Desire...

There is some crazed guitar stuff going on on that thing. Also, it continues in the fine tradition of a completely whacked out song on a record to keep it real aka Heavy Rotation etal.

RadioGuy
Marionette

Post by RadioGuy »

Slowly Rising is an amazing song. The whole friggin' album should be in regular rotation on radio.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Oxygen is soooooo sweet - totally awesome song by itself, and very special because it's a song for Karl.

I would have voted for this song but it seems it's an obvious winner in this poll, so I am going to vote for my other favorite: Bus Named Desire.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

lune ellise wrote:Oxygen is soooooo sweet - totally awesome song by itself, and very special because it's a song for Karl.

I would have voted for this song but it seems it's an obvious winner in this poll, so I am going to vote for my other favorite: Bus Named Desire.
I wouldn't consider Oxygen a song for Karl, as it was written before Karl was even diagnosed with cancer (and as far as I know Karl wasn't institutionalized). Oxygen is a great song on it's own, but it really doesn't have anything to do with Karl.

The song I associate with Karl is "Slowly Rising". There are various reasons for that, but I guess part of it is that there are strong bass lines in it, and it always gave Karl a chance to shine when they played it live. I remember one of my first listens to TSL thinking that the song really needed more Karl on it. It wasn't loud enough, as that song is extremely powerful.

The other reason I tend to associate that song with Karl is because back in the spring of 02 (i think it was that year), I was on a road trip to see a show in Chicago and DeKalb, IL to see the band (this was back when I lived in eastern PA), and it was at the DeKalb show. I remember it was the Saturday before Easter, and I was quite drunk at the show (I think 32oz coors lights were on sale, plus the beers we had had before walking out to the venue). But at the end of the set, Dave dedicated Slowly Rising to me, and Karl had jumped down from the stage to tell me to make sure I found my way backstage after the show or something. It was an amusing experience, especially having Karl do that. He was really a great guy. Anyhow, I think more than anything, that is why I associate the song with him.

Phil