2008 July 18th - Waukesha County Fair, Waukesha, WI

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: July 18th

Post by philipgar »

Do people want to meet up before the show to grab a drink and some food before the show? I plan on getting out there a bit early (i have nothing better to do besides my research). I don't know much about the venue, but I imagine we could otherwise just get there early to grab good "seats" (i don't want to miss my standard location). It's looking like this should be a really exciting show!

Phil

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

We can't get there very early. I started a new job this week and can't get out of Chicago until early afternoon. Great idea though, maybe next time.

Meg

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

For the record (and those who don't recognize me), I should be wearing shorts, a t shirt, and a bright red UW badgers cap. I'll be up front in the VIP section, and probably around others. Feel free to try and flag me down before or after the show. I can't wait!!!

Phil

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Man, the guys were on fire tonight. The show started shortly after 8:00 with Soul Asylum playing first. It was a shorter than normal set lasting slightly over an hour. They were definitely having a great time on stage telling jokes and messing around. Dave almost let the F word slip two times and quickly backed it up with "Gosh darn". He told the joke about the map and going to the Earth's corners to pin it up. Lots of people were yelling out requests, one of them being Wildfire, so Dave played part of it a little later in the set.

During Whatcha Need Dave was asking Michael "Whatcha need", and Mike responded "A nice cold beer." Dave kept shouting out "Whatcha need" and someone from the crowd yelled out "guitar solo", so Dave quickly busted one out. Shortly after the end of one song Dave's guitar gave him a little shock treatment. He quickly threw it to the ground and it starting giving off a weird feedback. Dave mentioned how the guitar occasionally likes to "play on its own".

I also wonder if Dave may be reading the board because he had what looked to be a brand new pair of jeans with just a few holes in them. ;)

Here's the setlist:

Somebody To Shove
All Is Well
Misery
Lately
Black Gold
Without A Trace
New World
Easy Street
(parts of) Sweet Home Alabama>Wildfire>Free Bird
Oxygen
Whatcha Need
Runaway Train
Closer To the Stars
Sometime To Return*
Just Like Anyone*
Stand Up and Be Strong (with Benny)

*Were on the official setlist but weren't played. Thanks Benny for giving me a copy of it.

As usual, it was great to see everyone from the forum again (Tim, Phil, Sayeeda, Scott) as well as meeting a few new faces from the forum (Lucy, RockinBrian).
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Monolith Maniac wrote:I also wonder if Dave may be reading the board because he had what looked to be a brand new pair of jeans with just a few holes in them. ;)
Or maybe he already put it on EBAY! :lol:

If any of the band is reading the board, here's a shoutout for them - COME HERE TO PHILIPPINES!
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

lune ellise wrote:
Monolith Maniac wrote:I also wonder if Dave may be reading the board because he had what looked to be a brand new pair of jeans with just a few holes in them. ;)
Or maybe he already put it on EBAY! :lol:

If any of the band is reading the board, here's a shoutout for them - COME HERE TO PHILIPPINES!
i'll put a longer review of the show up later, but for the record, Dave was not wearing new jeans during the show. The confusion came out because before the show (while setting up) Dave came out to the stage and his jeans were hole free, and being held up by a belt! However, before the show started he must have changed, and was wearing his normal jeans.

Phil

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

philipgar wrote: Dave was not wearing new jeans during the show.
D'oh, must of never given it a second thought once they came out to play (even though I got a bunch of pics verifying he was wearing his regular pants). Though I probably would have noticed if he still was playing in those new jeans because it definitely would have been out of the ordinary. :P

Definitely not the a greatest of shots of Dave, but I was more or less taking a quick pic of his hole-free pants. He also changed his shirt too once the show started.
Attachments
nicepants.jpg
nicepants.jpg (22.65 KiB) Viewed 13327 times
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

It was great to meet everyone at the show - considering that I was afraid the whole thing was going to be rained out, I should not complain about the short set. And although short, you're right, what a great show and they were laughing and smiling and looking like they were having so much fun - plus we got a little Easy Street and Closer to the Stars. Lots of bantering and joking around. This is my first time seeing Tommy with them, and what a difference. No offense to George but I LOVED seeing Tommy and he brings so much to the show!! I just got back in to Florida, so I'll get working on my photos tomorrow. Great show, lots of fun and great to meet all of you that I talked to at the show. I brought a present of a bottle of Jagermeister, I have to try to find out if they ever got it. I gave it to a guy who said he'd give it to them...

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

lucy wrote:It was great to meet everyone at the show - considering that I was afraid the whole thing was going to be rained out, I should not complain about the short set.
No rain and an amazing show! Loved it! I just about split my face grinning when they started playing Closer to the Stars. :P Also the cool breeze was nice! No hot sun beating down our backs. ;)

It was wonderful meeting all of you before the show (Tim, Scot, Lucy, Phil, rockinbrian, Jim, and anyone else whose name I missed). Totally made the experience better sharing it with you all than being there by myself. FYI, I was in the red/white print sundress dancing like no one's watching. :D

I know I've said I will and then just might not go to Lumberjack Days...it's still up in the air. :|

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

tditz_gb
Marionette

Waukesha Pics and Videos up now!

Post by tditz_gb »

Hey everyone,

I've not been here in ages but I wanted to direct you all to the photos and video clips I've posted from Friday's show in Waukesha, WI.
Clips of Easy Street (yes!!), New World and Oxygen are on my YouTube Page:
http://youtube.com/user/tditzgb

And the photos are in the usual place on my Flickr concert shots page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14861540@N08/

Enjoy!

Tim

p.s. It was great to see everyone again. It's so cool that we have a core group of fans that always turns out for the WI shows. It was nice to meet a couple new people as well...Sayeeda, Rockin'Brian...and my old pal Peggy, of course! Am I forgetting anyone?
...One day dirt will bury you and you will understand, there is nothing much more than the ground on which you stand...