music/video trading forum

Suggest features, report bugs, and discuss matters related to the website and the forum.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

sheryl wrote:thank you jim. i knew that. absentminded. maybe just absent.
Sorry about that, I quickly glanced over you message and just posted that. Now that I'm more awake, I see what you were doing there. :lol:

Jim

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

"build it and they will come"

This sounds like an excellent idea guys! I really like the idea of a private tracker somewhere, kinda like the Wilco tracker site (which I think is still up, but I haven't been there for quite a while now). Granted it would probably be one of the smallest trackers going around though. But that's ok, certainly nothing wrong with that.

However this actually sounds (eerily enough) like The Jayhawks et al Direct Connect trading hub that existed, once upon a time (may that rest in peace).....

Unlike other tracker sites where they only host the .torrent file itself and not the complete file set, so Phil, are you talking about having the actual concert (of whatever) on your server? If so, then yes, you'll need another (or larger) hard drive in your server. :)

Some things to consider though, once something is setup and there is music available that is, that you will have people who have never traded music before, are not familiar with some of the different compressed audio and video file formats out there (shn, flac, ape, oog, .vob, .torrent, rar, still on dialup, etc), who will be wanting to join in on some these reindeer games.

Are we thinking lossless, or lossy formats? Or both/all?? Bear in mind that there will be some who want to join that are going to have a steep learning curve for new software (if they succeed or not is a different story).

Phil, I know how busy your schedule is and what not, but how hard would it be to search around a bit for some tracker software, find one, and get it installed? Not saying to get something up and running and totally functional, but just get something up and fine tune it when you have time. Do it in stages.
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

i'm one of the people who would have a really steep learning curve. someone here, and i dont remember who but whoever it is they were patient above and beyond all sanity, sent me a link to a torrent and then completely took the time to walk me through how it worked, downloading software, figuring out errors, what to do with it when it finally downloaded (it took three days), how to play it, how to save it.....whoever one of you it was, thanks for that.
but it's a good point that there are going to be a lot of people, like me, who want the music but don't know how to work these programs. it could be more work than it seems at a glance.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

sheryl wrote:i'm one of the people who would have a really steep learning curve. someone here, and i dont remember who but whoever it is they were patient above and beyond all sanity, sent me a link to a torrent and then completely took the time to walk me through how it worked, downloading software, figuring out errors, what to do with it when it finally downloaded (it took three days), how to play it, how to save it.....whoever one of you it was, thanks for that.
but it's a good point that there are going to be a lot of people, like me, who want the music but don't know how to work these programs. it could be more work than it seems at a glance.
I'm personally not opposed to putting up compressed copies of shows (192kbps mp3s are normally more than enough), however i don't really think it's a great idea, as many tapers are very much against this sort of thing. Many also attempt to forbid doing this, although it's questionable that they can distribute their shows with any strings attached at all.

Part of the issue here is that most of the traders are mostly traders, and partially fans, whereas this is for the fans, who are more concerned with having the shows than that the show is lossless quality (especially when the fans aren't then retrading the shows they download). It's kind of a tough question, but I've always found mp3's easier to deal with (I don't think I've listened to the full shn/flac version of a show I've downloaded, but I do keep them for archival purposes) as they're quicker to transfer, play back everywhere, etc. That said, I don't know the right answer for something like this, maybe two separate torrents, one for lossless (redistributable copies) and one for lossy.... Any thoughts from the trader community?

Phil

trudatman
Runaway

Post by trudatman »

I'm a taper/trader and I want to expand my horizons. I had a bunch of stuff (like the unplugged gig) on cassettes back in the day, but my Soul Asylum CD collection is relatively small, so I'd like to hear from other traders. I have recorded a few Soul Asylum shows that I haven't really spread around, yet. my list is at http://amorica.us and you can reach me at titlesong [AT] gmail [DOT] com. holler at your boy.
Last edited by trudatman on Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on." "I'm not not licking toads." - H. Jay Simpson

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

music/video trading forum

Post by Monolith Maniac »

trudatman wrote:I'm a taper/trader and I want to expand my horizons I had a bunch of stuff (like the unplugged gig) on cassettes back in the day, but my Soul Asylum CD collection is relatively small, so I'd like to hear from other traders. I have recorded a few Soul Asylum shows that I haven't really spread around, yet. my list is at http://amorica.us and you can reach me at titlesong [AT] gmail [DOT] com. holler at your boy.
Hi,

I would say your best bet for other Soul Asylum shows (if you haven't already contacted him already) is Jesse (JHamm) who runs the B&P site http://www.thedvdproject.net/.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

trudatman
Runaway

Re: music/video trading forum

Post by trudatman »

getting ready to do another Soul Asylum stealth field recording (read: bootleg) and I hope to start up at least a discussion of trading. anybody else here actively record? what's the band's audio/video/photo policy? holler!
"excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on." "I'm not not licking toads." - H. Jay Simpson