annoying new girl

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
zany
Social Butterfly

Re: annoying new girl

Post by zany »

it's part of the marching band but no instruments. it's a sort of performing art where you spin and toss flags, and fake rifles and fake sabres and it's sooooo fun. it's sorta like dance but with props.... so you do that with the marching band at halftime shows and then in the off season there's winter guard where the guard performs w/out the band to recorded music in a gym. so it was perfect for me because i stunk in the band but all my friends were in it and i found out i loved doing color guard stuff and still got to hang out w/ all my friends in high school.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

zany wrote:it's part of the marching band but no instruments. it's a sort of performing art where you spin and toss flags, and fake rifles and fake sabres and it's sooooo fun. it's sorta like dance but with props.... so you do that with the marching band at halftime shows and then in the off season there's winter guard where the guard performs w/out the band to recorded music in a gym. so it was perfect for me because i stunk in the band but all my friends were in it and i found out i loved doing color guard stuff and still got to hang out w/ all my friends in high school.
Okay, that makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. I thought you were some kind of crazy person that went off to fight rainbows.
My brother and sister were both in marching band. My brother played the saxophone and my sister played the flute. Unfortunately, they don't have a marching orchestra. It'd be a bit hard for the cellos and basses to march and the guitar doesn't have a strap on it. We'd need to get a float to pull it off, which might not be so far fetched.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

hmmm you could play in the pit (they keep the larger percussion stuff at the front of the field and don't march with it) but the songs probably don't have string parts. oh well.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

zany wrote:hmmm you could play in the pit (they keep the larger percussion stuff at the front of the field and don't march with it) but the songs probably don't have string parts. oh well.
I was actually thinking of during the Memorial Day parade. That's the only time the marching band plays. We don't have them playing during games, not that I know of at least. My brother was a bench warmer, so I've been to plenty of home games.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

us nicole's like to ramble. i'm trying to ramble less on other forums so my spillover rambling is going here.

so even though phil says i should just go if i can to the orlando show, i like to agonize over whether i should go and be a dramaqueen i guess. it doesn't seem simple to me because i really do start thinking i'm going nuts and am not really comfortable yet w/ my renewed obsession. plus my husband is 'worried' about me which makes me agonize more about if he's right and do i really want to go or is it more hassle than it's worth.

but ANYWAYS back to my originally planned rambling, i found out today that my parents will be near my grandmothers during that weekend, which means i'm more likely to drive 4 hours across florida from work-part to grandmother part (it's weird but visiting my grandmas is easier w/ my mom there)
And if i'm going to do that, adding a stop halfway in Orlando only adds 40 mins of driving (but still adds one hotel night that i don't want to pay for)

on an unrelated note (because i am declaring this a rambling forum)
found out that where my godparents live is 30 mins from where i'm going for work so i can visit them while i'm there which is great. i love packing in personal stuff into work-trips. it makes them seem mildly less horrible (i hate work trips because i end up working both 1st and 2nd shifts and they change the schedules at the last minute)

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

zany wrote:so even though phil says i should just go if i can to the orlando show, i like to agonize over whether i should go and be a dramaqueen i guess. it doesn't seem simple to me because i really do start thinking i'm going nuts and am not really comfortable yet w/ my renewed obsession. plus my husband is 'worried' about me which makes me agonize more about if he's right and do i really want to go or is it more hassle than it's worth.
Oh, good. I'm not the only one that likes to over think things! My hair used to be really short, and it is again now, but I got so used to keeping it down that when it was long enough I was absolutely afraid to put it up! I have only actually ever put my hair up TWICE in school. Once on twin day in sixth grade and once on hat day in eighth grade, under a beret that I made myself. You might think 'Who cares about that? Either put it up or don't!' but am literally scared to do it, and this just adds to the point that this is a rambling thread. I'm also scared to wear anything besides t-shirts, and last year was the first year I wore something besides jeans and I hugged one of my friends, which was a breakthrough for me. I'm okay with writing this down because everyone here has probably already figured out that I'm pretty weird.
Anyway, if anyone wants to read an actual short story or an essay that I've written that stays on topic then I could post it here, just to prove a point. Okay, I don't actually have the essay because my teacher needed it for keeps to show my progress throughout this year, just like everyone else in my class, but I do have a short story and a paragraph describing a character in a short story. Any takers?

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i'm not identifying with the fear part of it but i pretty much never pull my hair back or up at work or well anytime other than sitting around at home. i think i look like a totally different person and i like the hairdown one better. i have a friend who always pulls hers back at work because we work w/ 80% men and she feels extra femininity makes things worse for her at work. that stuff really gets to me but not in the mood to ramble about that now...

what topic is your essay abotu t hat it's "on topic?"

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

The essay, oddly enough, is about how you are different from everyone else. We had two subjects to choose from, but I felt more comfortable dealing with how I'm different from everyone in my class, and of course I mentioned Soul Asylum in it. The short story was a topic of our own choosing, but it had to contain at least seven vocab words. I ended up forgetting some of the definitions, but used most of them. My story is absolutely ridiculous, and when I told my mom about it she said "You're teacher's really going to think you have a greeeat relationship with your grandma." Yep, that's sarcasm from my mom. The paragraph had to describe General Zaroff from "The Most Dangerous Game."
About the hair stuff, my hair tends to stick to the back of my neck and it gets really uncomfortable when it's down. It feels much better when it's up. I've even made scrunchies! I just can't bring myself to put it up, so I end up getting it cut above my shoulders as much as possible. I've been told that I look better with my hair up, too, but I just can't do it. Not unless I get to wear a hat over it, which is against school rules.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

To clear things up for you, it's not a fear of putting my hair up really, it's more of a fear of change. I'm okay with moving up to the high school, it's just the little changes that bug me more.
Sooo, no one wants me to put up that short story or the paragraph? I'm okay with that, but if I ever write an essay about Soul Asylum, though I doubt that I'd ever be asked that, then I will post it here. It'd probably be pretty bad though!

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

have you seen lune ellise's website (linked to her profile thingy)? she has some soul asylum 'album reviews' and other stuff.