2008 Sep. 20th - Epic Center, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Epic Center Minneapolis, Mn Sept. 20th 2008

Post by Sometime to Return »

Wow...it was an experience.

Think of Garth Brooks..."blame it all on my roots; I showed up in boots and ruined your black tie affair..."

Sara and I go; she is dressed nice but not overdone. I am in a Soul Asylum t-shirt, shorts and sandals. The rest of the women are dressed black dresses very formal and the guys are in ties or tuxes or sports coats. I was definately sticking out like a sore thumb.

It was a great cause; there was lots of money raised. The video before the auction had many people in tears it was so moving.

I met Andrew from England at the show as well; met him lasts year at first avenue.

The stage was only about 3 feet high which was very cool. Sara, myself and Andrew were leaning right against the stage. You will have to ask Andrew; but I not sure he new to expect from me when I attend a Soul Asylum concert. I was definately not in my daily routine (to steal from another thread); but my "Soul Asylum" routine.

The band was in great form. Dave was spot on, we could feel Tommy's bass, Micheal was.. well Micheal. Dan was the most laid back I have ever seen him; not really sure if he was a little under the weather or not. But; If you are a fan of Dave, he really tore it up.

I can go into more later, talked to some people who knew Dave and have some funny stories but need to get going.

The set list:
Easy Street
Just like anyone
All is well
Bittersweet heart
Misery/ silly love songs
Lately
Blackgold
Without a trace
New world
Oxygen
Cartoon
Gone til november
Whatcha need
Space cowboy (steve miller cover)
A string of cover songs where they played a verse or two . Some of those songs were ( I missed a couple) Shout, Folsum prison blues, freebird, rhinestone cowboy.
Never really been
Runaway train
Closer to the stars
somebody to shove
Dave sang a solo... I knew the song but the title escapes me right now; but it was awesome.
Stand up and be strong.

All in all; the show up until the cover portion (from Easy street to Space cowboy; they played that whole song), was some of the most energetic and fun I have had at a Soul Asylum show. And; then it picked right back up after the cover portion of the show was over. This show definately takes the "Stillwater, bad taste" I had in my mouth out. Really looking forward to the 1st Ave show.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Re: Epic Center Minneapolis, Mn Sept. 20th 2008

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

So far, so good, but tell us more! :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

I hope our setlist is as good as this one on Saturday, but it does seem they always save the best for the home town! That just means one day I'm gonna have to get up there for a concert!
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

Thanks for the review and setlist! Definately sounded like a good one to see!!
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

glnurse
Lone Rider

Post by glnurse »

Hi all,
I just recently found this page. I was @ the epic center on Sat. I think I was standing right behind you guys, I was the guy in the blue shirt and french cuffs. I agree that Dan didn't really seem that energetic. After Space Cowboy didn't Tommy say something like "that song sucks"? Then sang "substitue" by the Who and the song Dave sang later was "Mercedes Benz" by Janis Joplin. It was only my 5th time seeing soul asylum and I look forward to seeing them @ first Ave. I have never seen them at first ave before.

Take care,
Brian.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Brian;

First of all; welcome.

I was the guy in the white Soul Asylum tee-shirt, shorts and sandals in the front row. I was not wearing a blue shirt with cuffs. :P :P :P My wife, Sara was on my left and the tall guy to my right was Andrew. He flew in from England for the show and is going to St. Louis on Saturday.

As you could tell; I really get into the concert. If it's any consolation; my neck was still sore monday. 8-) I hope I didn't ruin your experience or infringe upon your space.

Again; lots of funny stories from the night. Some won't come off as funny in this format but I hope these two do.

There are tables on the floor to have drinks and food prior to the auction and concert; Sara and I grab the middle table in the front row about 15 feet from the stage. We are there for a while; she leaves to head to the restroom. So; I have my back to the stage, facing the crowd and this couple comes up and asks if they can share our table. Sure no problem.

We exchange pleasantries; and she asks if I am security for the band. (again; think of me standing there in my Soul Asylum t-shirt). I started chuckling and said that's I wasn't security for the band.

About this time Sara comes back and this lady asks if I am in the band. I started chuckling again but before I could say anything Sara says "he isn't in the band but he loves Dave Pirner the lead singer." We all start busting a gut. Funny, funny stuff.

Also; for the ladies. The "pants" were in play that night. Sara was peeking enough for all of you and all of your friends. I "busted" her a number of times. She would just shrug her shoulders, look at me and mumble..."what!!" Funny, funny stuff and good time.
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Sometime to Return wrote: About this time Sara comes back and this lady asks if I am in the band. I started chuckling again but before I could say anything Sara says "he isn't in the band but he loves Dave Pirner the lead singer." We all start busting a gut. Funny, funny stuff.

Also; for the ladies. The "pants" were in play that night. Sara was peeking enough for all of you and all of your friends. I "busted" her a number of times. She would just shrug her shoulders, look at me and mumble..."what!!" Funny, funny stuff and good time.
Glad to hear the pants were in play..hope they are this Saturday! :mrgreen: And as for your wife saying your in love with Dave Pirner is like my husband telling anyone who asks who Dave is, that he's the guy Im going to leave him for! hilarious!!
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

Sometime to Return wrote: She would just shrug her shoulders, look at me and mumble..."what!!"
priceless... :) sounds like my version of playing innocent too.. :)
Twiddly Dee wrote: And as for your wife saying your in love with Dave Pirner is like my husband telling anyone who asks who Dave is, that he's the guy Im going to leave him for! hilarious!!
my husband says "are you watching videos of your BOYFRIEND again?"
"YUP !" (or if i'm trying to pretend i'm NOT i'd pull a "sara" as mentioned before) :)

that's so funny somebody thought a guy in a soul asylum t-shirt was in the band - reminds me of the scene in that movie 'cant hardly wait' where the band breaks up because some want to wear thier own band's tshirts and the others think it's so uncool to wear a shirt that says your own band on it.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Sometime to Return wrote:Also; for the ladies. The "pants" were in play that night. Sara was peeking enough for all of you and all of your friends. I "busted" her a number of times. She would just shrug her shoulders, look at me and mumble..."what!!" Funny, funny stuff and good time.
Thanks for the great review. And thanks for always remembering those important details. ;) Tell Sara thanks for standing in for us when it counts.

Let me get this straight: you were wearing not only a SA T-shirt, but SANDALS and SHORTS and this woman thought you were working security for the band? :lol:
zany wrote:my husband says "are you watching videos of your BOYFRIEND again?"
My stepsister refers to Dave as "your musician boyfriend" and Russell Crowe as "your actor boyfriend." No, I don't really have a "type."

Anyway, I think Sometime to Return provides an excellent example of how your husband could approach your Dave crush. Sometime to Return seems to regard Sara's interest in Dave's jeans with fond amusement. That's a good attitude. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

CrazyLittleWoman
Let me get this straight: you were wearing not only a SA T-shirt, but SANDALS and SHORTS and this woman thought you were working security for the band?
Yeah; quite humorous. The only think I can think of is again; the ladies were in balck formal dresses and the guys were in dress pants, ties, coats or nice dress shirts.

zany
that movie 'cant hardly wait'
The first time I read this I glossed over the word "movie." I immediately started singing The Replacments song..."Can't hardly wait." 8-) 8-)

Really Glad that they moved "shove" towards the end of the concert. I have always felt thats where it needed to be.
Gluek's 12/17/2010.