What is your favorite album by Soul Asylum?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

And the Horse They Rode In On
28%
Candy From A Stranger
2%
Clam Dip & Other Delights
No votes
Grave Dancers Union
13%
Hang Time
17%
Let Your Dim Light Shine
15%
Made To Be Broken
9%
Say What You Will, Clarence... Karl Sold the Truck
No votes
The Silver Lining
13%
Time's Incinerator
No votes
While You Were Out
2%

Total votes: 46

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Coinciding with the website's anniversary is arguably the most engaging and difficult poll possible in the Soul Asylum fan community. After a series of "favorite song" polls and some oddballs after that, we've come to the big one: What is your favorite album by Soul Asylum?

As with the cover art poll, this one includes all of the records listed in the Albums section of the site, with one exception: Say What You Will refers to the extended version with 14 tracks (i.e. Say What You Will, Clarence... Karl Sold the Truck).

That's a whole lot of great albums to choose from, so take your time and only vote when you're sure of your decision. If you still change your mind, though, I've allowed re-voting for this particular poll, so don't worry all too much about it.

Personally, I don't know at the moment what to choose, so I'm postponing my vote. I have a feeling quite a few of you will do that too. ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

jasonC
Caged Rat

Re: What is your favorite album by Soul Asylum?

Post by jasonC »

This was very easy for me. I like Let Your Dim Light Shine, it was my first SA record and Ive loved it for years.

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Yeah I am gonna have to hold out on voting. That way I don't have to keep changing my vote!
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Twiddly Dee wrote:Yeah I am gonna have to hold out on voting. That way I don't have to keep changing my vote!
Likewise; I don't think I even voted yet for the favorite song poll which was posted months ago, but I know I'll get back to this one soon (or maybe I'll end up reviving this topic 3 months from now). :P
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Ooo, an excuse to go back and listen my way through all the albums. It may be a while before I vote. (Probably easier to vote for least favorite.)
jasonC wrote:This was very easy for me. I like Let Your Dim Light Shine, it was my first SA record and Ive loved it for years.
This was my first SA record, too! I really love it. It's a sentimental favorite for sure, but I'm not sure it's my absolute favorite. I'll just have to listen to them all again to make sure.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

My vote went to Hang Time since it has 3 of my favorite songs. Brings backs fond memories of being a student, watching the "album" go up and down on the turntable.

On Cartoon; after the line..."there's a ringing in my ear that's heaven sent..." us idiot college students would yell our favorite line like..."It' Grant effing Young" or "it's Karl effing Mueller or "It's Effing Soul Asylum"... Ah....the life of a college student.

but; I digress. "favorite" can mean many things; for me it's what I listen to the most. Hang Time, While you were out, Horses and TSL are what I listen to the most. A case can be made for any album really except...well; we know which one. That cd (album) ranks dead last for me; I like the first six songs, not to fond of the rest of the cd.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

This is a tough question. I put down MTBB, but more because it was my favorite albums a few years ago. It's been a while since I've listened to many of the albums in their entirety (normally I'm listening to other bands, or live SA music). I would put horse right up there, and hang time of course is a classic.

But the things is all the albums are good in their own right (well, I honestly would never listen to Say What You Will or time's incinerator if it weren't for the fact that they're SA albums). LYDLS was also my first SA album, I remember when I first bought it, and fell in love with the band. That said, it's been a long time since I've listened to that album.... Maybe I'll have to dust it off during the chat (and by dust it off, I mean use my remote to select the album on my media center).

Phil

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

IM.POS.SI.BLE.

But if I have to choose (or I don't have to... but I want to...) then I will choose Hang Time. I bought it when I was 11 (I think... or around that age) and it was my very first CD and... well, it's just an amazing album. Period.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Grave Dancer's Union. My fiance let me have a 24x36" rendering of the cover on the wall above the fireplace, and so whenever a member of her family comes over and asks why there are naked child butts on the wall, I have to explain that it's the greatest rock and roll album of all time. And then I give them a copy, because I have approximately 26 just for that purpose. (Store bought, legit!) It's just perfect. From the way the opening riff of StS jumps out at you, to Runaway Train being a great song if you haven't heard it 500 kajillion times, all the way through the solid, perfect tracklist, without a single song that you would ever consider skipping (except maybe Runaway Train, because you can hear it flawlessly performed in your head by now- in surround sound- without wasting the energy.)

My runner up would be Made To Be Broken, fwiw. After that it depends on what I'm in the mood for.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

OK, so I can't take it any longer - I HAVE to answer...

But, guess what, when I was actually here in the thread - I chickened out LMAO!

I guess I have to be SURE about my decision. It would be among Hang Time, Made To Be Broken, And The Horse They Rode In On, Let Your Dim Light Shine, or if I'm rebellious enough, Candy From A Stranger.

I just realized I mentioned almost all of their albums. Guess I do need to think things over...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum