New Soul Asylum Song: Let's All Kill Each Other

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re: New Soul Asylum Song: Let's All Kill Each Other

Post by lune ellise »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:Is it just me or do the first few seconds of this song sound a lot like the first few seconds of Slowly Rising?
Have you tried comparing it to Heavy Rotation? ;) I think it is a lot closer - although Slowly Rising shares a close semblance too.
laurenalexander wrote:Hi again! Thanks for the welcome. I do feel a bit like I'm entering a support group - in a good way! Like; Hi, I'm Lauren and I'm a Soul-a-holic. hee hee...
Soul-a-holics we are! Have you visited such threads as: The Soul Asylum Riff (an in depth research of the distinct licking of the G-chord used in some SA songs); His Holeyness (scrutinizing on everything Dave: from pants to hair); Dan The Man (the most recent topic there is the Somebody To Shove video, minute by minute). And who could forget this one (discussion on SA withdrawals)?
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

ACK!! new song yay!!!!!

oh my gosh so i've been without internet for like FIVE whole days during my move (oh the withdrawal!) so tonight i tell my husband - ohhh i haven't been on the SA forum in so long. and he teases me and says "ooh what could you have possibly missed?"
SEE i did miss something big! but i'm caught up now and heard the new song.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

lune ellise wrote:
CrazyLittleWoman wrote:Is it just me or do the first few seconds of this song sound a lot like the first few seconds of Slowly Rising?
Have you tried comparing it to Heavy Rotation? ;) I think it is a lot closer - although Slowly Rising shares a close semblance too.
Now that I throw Heavy Rotation into the mix, I think you may be right. I'm going to have to listen to them side by side to make up my mind. What a chore! ;)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

lune ellise wrote:Have you tried comparing it to Heavy Rotation?
Heavy Rotation was the first thing that came to my mind too.

Fritzi, those "chimpmunk" voices you hear in the song (which you mentioned in your blog) are actually kids singing.
laurenalexander wrote:Hi everyone
I am Lauren, wife of Danny, who wrote that little book about our boys.
Welcome to the site Lauren. I've also had the pleasure of reading your husband's book numerous times throughout the years; I definitely enjoyed it. Great to see you're a Soul Asylum fan too!
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

What'd he do, round up the neighbor kids and have them sing "lets all kill each other"?

Somewhere there's a local kindergarten teacher who thinks the kids in her class are morphing into children of the corn....

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

I never, ever get excited for a political song. ...Unless it's new Soul Asylum. I've been sick for like a week, I am so mad I'm so late on this.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

TheJudge wrote:I never, ever get excited for a political song. ...Unless it's new Soul Asylum. I've been sick for like a week, I am so mad I'm so late on this.

You're not that late.....a couple days? That's ok. It's good to spread these things out anyway, so that there are always fresh outlooks and thoughts on them. If everyone finds it all at once, there's a glut of activity and then it's all done.

You feelin' good again now?

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Oh yeah, I'm good. But I am not exaggerating when I say that I check the myspace for new material almost daily, ever since they first put Stand Up and Be Strong up there. Hearing about this from a friend who heard it on DC101 was a jawdropper lol.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I know, right? The minute you look away, something changes.
Way of the world.

At least it was just one surprise song that slipped in while you weren't looking.

They slipped an entire record by me!! I found out about TSL when I wandered into a record store looking for the new Snow Patrol cd,and Soul Asylum happened to be next to it in the new releases.

What you think of the song?

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

People should know that apart from being married to a great writer, Lauren is also a very talented artist herself. She sells the cutest paintings over at Etsy.com. Here's a taste:

If the rumors of an upcoming album are indeed true, I know who I'd like to see make the cover art for it.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com