Lost in your own room: SA interior design

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Homesick
Warden

Lost in your own room: SA interior design

Post by Homesick »

As if having Soul Asylum in my record player, in my car stereo, and in my computer wasn't enough, I've now brought them into my room:

This last item might surprise some of you; it doesn't have Soul Asylum's name on it or anything. The most likely thing, if you ask me, is that the art director bought this artwork and then modified it a little bit for The Silver Lining's cover. (You might have noticed that the one on my wall is black and white, whereas the one on TSL's cover has a tinge of color.) I bought it as a 35.5" × 23.5" poster at a local art store for a very affordable price. If you're looking for one, it's available at Starstore.

And in case you're wondering because I'm Swedish: yes, everything else is from IKEA. The frames, the bookcase, the borderline kitsch feline tapestry, and even the bed were all purchased there. (To be honest, even the sheets are from IKEA, and I wouldn't be surprised if the pillow were, too.)

The mini-discography hanging above my bed is pretty much a custom-made piece. As great as IKEA is, they didn't have any passepartout that fit for my purposes, so I went ahead and made one myself. To line up the cutouts properly, I drew a template on my computer and printed it, so getting the measurements right was a snap compared to the work it would have been using only a ruler. It's not visible from here, but when cutting the cardboard I even angled the knife to create a bevel, which was a lot easier than I had thought. It doesn't look quite as perfect as a manufactured one, but it still looks very good, and you can't tell the difference from a meter away.

I scanned in the album covers, printed them on glossy photo paper, and glued them to the back of the passepartout. The quality was great; the only covers that look a little different are TSL and LYDLS, whose colors are slightly off.

I definitely recommend doing stuff like this for your own room. It's a lot more fun than just tacking up a poster, and it looks a lot better. The total cost of the mini-discography came to roughly $25: $20 for the frame and $5 for the cardboard and photo paper.

If you've already decorated your room with Soul Asylum memorabilia, don't hesitate to share photos and descriptions!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Re: Lost in your own room: SA interior design

Post by no1rockfan »

Homesick wrote: Image

This last item might surprise some of you; it doesn't have Soul Asylum's name on it or anything. The most likely thing, if you ask me, is that the art director bought this artwork and then modified it a little bit for The Silver Lining's cover. (You might have noticed that the one on my wall is black and white, whereas the one on TSL's cover has a tinge of color.) I bought it as a 35.5" × 23.5" poster at a local art store for a very affordable price. If you're looking for one, it's available at Starstore.
Thanks for this info. That's a nice print! How did you find it?

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

no1rockfan wrote:Thanks for this info. That's a nice print! How did you find it?
That's a funny story, actually: I found it at an art store here in Sweden and was amazed to see the motif used on something other than the cover of TSL, but I wasn't sure I'd buy it since it was black-and-white. A while later, I returned to the shop and stood there thinking about whether I should buy it or not. All of a sudden, Runaway Train came on the radio—and the store clerk started humming along, on top of everything—so that pretty much sealed the deal.

It's not really an art print, though; it's just your regular teenage bedroom poster. I actually had to crop it by a few inches to fit it inside the frame, but it turned out great anyway.

If you're in the United States and looking for it, Starstore is probably your best bet. It's two thirds down the page, under the title "Lighthouse poster - sea and lighthouse".

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Until I moved in July, my house was decorated with a combination of urbex photo's I had taken, and about a dozen vintage SA posters in frames. I had some stuff that came out of records...a foldout from Hang Time, a whole lot of flyers, record store promo's, and of course "official" posters. I didn't bring any of them with me when I moved, though.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Homesick wrote:As if having Soul Asylum in my record player, in my car stereo, and in my computer wasn't enough, I've now brought them into my room:
I saw that in someone's office, right around the time the album came out. One of those inspirational posters kind of thing. I was like, ugh, they took that for an album cover...

-Rob

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

A few years ago I found a Clam Dip cover poster in a pile of posters at a record store. This pile was going to be tossed, so the clerk said I could take whatever posters I wanted. The Clam Dip poster was slightly torn, but not too bad. I put it up on my wall when I was a grad student. It was often awkward explaining to new roommates why I had a picture of a guy in clam dip hanging up on my wall.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:It was often awkward explaining to new roommates why I had a picture of a guy in clam dip hanging up on my wall.
Sounds like you had the same experience this guy had:
Pete Bilderback wrote:When I was in college I had a giant framed poster of this cover, and thinking back on it I now understand why girls were afraid to come to the parties my suitemates and I threw.
(http://floweringtoilet.blogspot.com/200 ... ights.html)

:)

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

I don't have any Soul Asylum posters or artwork hanging in my home. I'm a little tempted to hang a framed Clam Dip poster in my new office, though. It would definitely raise some eyebrows.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

Wow! Your pictures are great!
It looks so wonderful!
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia

Mary
Marionette

Post by Mary »

Amazing pics :D !!!