2008 Dec. 19th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
norma023
O'Jeezer

Re: Friday December 19th, 2008... 1st Avenue

Post by norma023 »

Danny had a pretty good guess - NOT

Nice Guys (Don't Get Paid) - last time played 10-14-93 (over in Germany)

That's 15 years, 2 months and 5 days by my books. Gawd, I'm starting to sound like Monolith! :P

Great show, and always good to meet other forum members after the show! Great hanging with Rob (from NY) after the show too, and thanks again for the beverage, I owe ya!

I hope everyone's return travels end/ended on a positive note (as the snow is still falling here, or blowing rather) !

Tracy, yes you are crazy, couldn't have been me you thought you saw.
:mrgreen:
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

SABuZZ
Brand New Shine

Post by SABuZZ »

sheryl wrote:
shizzle wrote:Thank goodness New Orleans got snow last Thursday and hopefully it's done. If that snow would've been a week later, it might've kept Dave from getting to Mn for First Ave. It closed down their airport and travel was tough down there for awhile. Counting my blessings here!
That 3/4 of an inch of snow didn't close down our airport. Or if it did it was for so short a time that it didn't impact anything i was aware of. I had people traveling in in the snow that day, via the airport, and nothing so much as glitched. They were coming in for noon and by noon most of the snow had melted anyway.

The only rough spot in travel around here (for a couple of hours) was that they closed a couple of the bridges, rightly realizing that southerners don't know what to do with iced up bridges ;)

I did however have people get all hung up a week later trying to come in from the great white north, where the snow up there made them miss their flight...

I can't imagine a dusting of snow stopping someone from Minneapolis from getting where he needed to go, anyway :)
Northerners...we shove it out of the way and keep on goin.
I heard the news reports about the snow down there and they must have made it out to be worse than it really was.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

SABuZZ wrote: I can't imagine a dusting of snow stopping someone from Minneapolis from getting where he needed to go, anyway :)
I heard the news reports about the snow down there and they must have made it out to be worse than it really was.[/quote]

"dusting" of snow????

I don't know how much snow the cities ended up with, but when we left Minneapolis around 11:30am on Saturday, the interstate was brutal. It hadn't accumulated very many inches yet, but it was enough, with the cold snap, to compact into ice and the road was very slippery. cars were in the ditch every few hundred yards, it seemed. We got rear-ended before we even got as far as St. Cloud. No one was hurt, we didn't even get knocked off the road, thankfully, but my car does have a boo-boo. After we got going again, we saw that the traffic jam that caused our accident (we avoided the person in front of us, but got smacked from behind) was caused by several other cars about a mile ahead of us skidding off the road, and they had skidded while slowing down because of two semis that had collided, with one of them jacknifed across the primary driving lane. So basically it was a chain reaction of several accidents spaced out every 1 or 2 miles. Blowing snow was also a real problem, with very poor visibility. Even after the traffic thinned out the further away from the cities that we got, and the road surface became a *little* less icy (It was icy for the entire MN portion of the drive, so it took us 6 hours to just get to Fargo (about 250 miles), the blowing and drifting still made the rest of the trip a white-knuckle experience. In ND, the blowing and drifting was worse, but at least the road surface between the drifts was clear and dry, so we were able up go a bit faster during short good moments of visibility, but it took another 6 hours to get from Fargo to home. 12 hours back home, actually not bad, considering the road conditions.

Yeah, northerners often keep on trucking despite the weather, but that doesn't mean it's not hard and sometimes very dangerous.

Me & my crew have arrived safely at home, however, in spite of an accident.

dells

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

pathorses wrote: So Dells, what did you get (if I'm not being too nosey...)
Pat

I got what I asked for (Nice Guys) :D

dells

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Great reviews all. I particularily loved hearing Slowly Risin' in the middle of the show. I have seen them play it twice before but that has always been the last song of the encore.

It was awesome to hear I did my best, Nice guys and Easy street again.

5 songs off of LYDLS was awesome as well; love that cd. 14 great songs; not a clunker in the bunch. Now we need them to dust off Eyes of a child.

Did you else catch Dave singing the wrong lyrics on Never really been?
It should be...Winning is for winners and I know spring follows winter but dave sang...Winning is for winners and I'm just a beginner.
Dave caught that himself; maybe you should have written the lyrics down. :lol: :P

I am convinced Stand is the best way to end a concert. I like it and the lyrics; not an overly complicated song but a fun energetic way to end the show.

Paul Pirner was in the crowd. Shook his hand and talked to him for just a minute.

To Dave Pirner and Dan Murphy and the rest of the band...Two words for you concerning my friend Todd (Norma 23)..."restraining order." :lol: :lol:

When's the next show?
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

From what I have gathered in videos and photos of the show, I feel obliged to be so jealous to those who have gone to see it. There is no possibility for me to see them - ever, and watching these evidences of their awesomeness is making me feel worse.

Kidding - but really, thanks for those who posted videos and photos of the show! I want to say something particular, but maybe on another, more appropriate, thread...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Tracy, yes you are crazy, couldn't have been me you thought you saw.
:mrgreen:[/quote]

Oh, cut me some slack, Todd! I met you for like 2 seconds at the Hoot many months ago! :P So I thought I saw you holding a setlist or lyrics at the end of the show. Might that have been you? If so, beware, I now know what you like and may actually say hi next time! ;)
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

SABuZZ wrote:
sheryl wrote:
shizzle wrote:Thank goodness New Orleans got snow last Thursday and hopefully it's done. If that snow would've been a week later, it might've kept Dave from getting to Mn for First Ave. It closed down their airport and travel was tough down there for awhile. Counting my blessings here!
That 3/4 of an inch of snow didn't close down our airport. Or if it did it was for so short a time that it didn't impact anything i was aware of. I had people traveling in in the snow that day, via the airport, and nothing so much as glitched. They were coming in for noon and by noon most of the snow had melted anyway.

The only rough spot in travel around here (for a couple of hours) was that they closed a couple of the bridges, rightly realizing that southerners don't know what to do with iced up bridges ;)

I did however have people get all hung up a week later trying to come in from the great white north, where the snow up there made them miss their flight...

I can't imagine a dusting of snow stopping someone from Minneapolis from getting where he needed to go, anyway :)
I heard the news reports about the snow down there and they must have made it out to be worse than it really was.
Oh yeah....things are always sensationalized. To go slightly off topic, when Gustav came through we were sitting in a hotel room in Alabama watching the city be destroyed and freaking out...then a friend texted us to let us know they were showing old Katrina footage =P

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

dells wrote:
SABuZZ wrote: I can't imagine a dusting of snow stopping someone from Minneapolis from getting where he needed to go, anyway :)
"dusting" of snow????

I don't know how much snow the cities ended up with, but when we left Minneapolis around 11:30am on Saturday, the interstate was brutal. It hadn't accumulated very many inches yet, but it was enough, with the cold snap, to compact into ice and the road was very slippery. cars were in the ditch every few hundred yards, it seemed. We got rear-ended before we even got as far as St. Cloud. No one was hurt, we didn't even get knocked off the road, thankfully, but my car does have a boo-boo. After we got going again, we saw that the traffic jam that caused our accident (we avoided the person in front of us, but got smacked from behind) was caused by several other cars about a mile ahead of us skidding off the road, and they had skidded while slowing down because of two semis that had collided, with one of them jacknifed across the primary driving lane. So basically it was a chain reaction of several accidents spaced out every 1 or 2 miles. Blowing snow was also a real problem, with very poor visibility. Even after the traffic thinned out the further away from the cities that we got, and the road surface became a *little* less icy (It was icy for the entire MN portion of the drive, so it took us 6 hours to just get to Fargo (about 250 miles), the blowing and drifting still made the rest of the trip a white-knuckle experience. In ND, the blowing and drifting was worse, but at least the road surface between the drifts was clear and dry, so we were able up go a bit faster during short good moments of visibility, but it took another 6 hours to get from Fargo to home. 12 hours back home, actually not bad, considering the road conditions.

Yeah, northerners often keep on trucking despite the weather, but that doesn't mean it's not hard and sometimes very dangerous.

Me & my crew have arrived safely at home, however, in spite of an accident.

dells[/quote]

No, dells, I meant the dusting in new orleans not being enough to stop him from getting to minneapolis.

what's been going on up north is a dumping, not a dusting!

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Greetings from New York!!

Well it was super cool to finally see a hometown Soul Asylum show at the legendary First Ave. Nice Guys, I Did My Best, Cocaine Blues...a few songs played out of their usual order... nice! ... Dang, it's weird that Easy Street is getting common now and I almost didn't think to mention it, despite it being the first time I head them do it! Setlist-wise it seems that last year's holiday show had a little more going for it (that is, more rarities and surprises). But I'd def. go back to Minny for a show, maybe for a summertime gig so I can tag-team it with a Twins game.

Very nice meeting folks from the board too, I met Jim, Todd, Dells, Crawl, Motogeek and Clammers, and a few others who might be here too? Thanks for hanging out with me after the show Todd!! ... It's still weird going up to people in line and saying "Are you on OJeez/the Web board/forum/" as not many people are, esp. on the east coast (I still think of the online home of Soul Asylum as "Ojeez," sorry!). As for the crowd at the show, I didn't notice any serious pushing etc but then I was right up front on the rail. Seems like everyone was taking pictures, but I'll try to post mine soon anyhow.

My 5:15 flight on Saturday (yesterday) out of Mpls was cancelled, (not because of MN weather - planes were leaving all day despite the "dusting" but our plane got cancelled out of its prior airport.) But I totally lucked out and got a standby seat on the "12:30" flight, which was delayed about 7 hours. So all in all I only had a two-hour delay. They actually closed the doors on us and said the plane was full, but to wait around a few minutes just in case... and then they did one more seat-check and let me and 2 others on... otherwise I'd have been stuck in MN til Monday. I was so happy to get on that plane!!

I had a totally awesome time in MN.. Mill City Museum is very cool, if you're into that kind of stuff. I went ice skating at "The Depot" too, another really cool building. I wish I could have gone rollerksating at the Metrodome too, but the times didn't work out for me. As for good eats, I reccommend Pizza Luce in downtown MN, Al's Breakfast (as institutional a local joint can be, by U of M) and St. Martins Table (vegetarian place, on Riverside Ave. - Hard Times Cafe nearby looked cool too.) ... Fortunately it didn't snow at all the 3 full days I was there so I was able to walk around town quite a bit.

Happy Holidays,

-Rob

PS- oh yeah, for anyone who's keeping track, soundcheck was:
I Did My Best (2x)
String of Pearls
Slowly Rising
Let's All Kill Each Other

I know Jim made it in for this but I was the only one standing outside in the cold listening to this. I didn't plan to do anything before the show so I headed over there by 5pm!