Odd associations

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Homesick
Warden

Odd associations

Post by Homesick »

Are there any songs by the band that for some reason you associate with something entirely different?

Let me start with some examples of what I mean:

Beggars and Choosers
The guitar in this song makes me think of the video game series F-Zero, because to the best of memory some of its soundtrack sounded pretty similar. That doesn't mean I find it cheesy, though—in fact, I think it's one of the coolest riffs in all of the band's discography.

Showtime
At 0:26, the line "What a city built on the graves of pirates and slaves and common-man criminals" makes me think of the "Cajun Controversy" surrounding an episode of The Simpsons, where New Orleans was described as the "home of pirates, drunks, and whores". I don't know if it's even New Orleans Dave is singing about (it's possible, given his relation to it), but somehow that's what I associate that line with.

New York Blackout
"And the dead lift their heads and come alive." Zombies!!!

(I have a feeling this thread could become even more weird than the one about dreams.)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Camilla Andersen
Lone Rider

Re: Odd associations

Post by Camilla Andersen »

Well Run awaytrain reminds me of my dad, because he jused to play that song to me when i was little. But mostly Soul Asylum lyrics just reminds me of home, because I have quotes from the songs written all over my walls in my room XD

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Caged Rat makes me think of a hamster running on a wheel. :P

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

sayeeda wrote:Caged Rat makes me think of a hamster running on a wheel. :P
:lol:

"Passing Sad Daydream" always sounds to me like a song one would play to close down a bar after a long night of hard drinking. Also, some of the vocals remind me of Janis Joplin.

"Endless Farewell": The music of "Endless Farewell" reminds me of the slow songs played in bars at midnight to clear out the first round of hook-ups.

"Spacehead" reminds me of my favorite ex-boyfriend. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

The lines "she's got weapons of mass destruction" from Slowly Rising remind me of the two female Neon Genesis Evangelion pilots, Asuka and Rei, commanding their big robots and fighting opposing robots.

I'd say that's pretty odd.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Linking Soul Asylum to a Japanese cartoon about giant robots? That's surely the weirdest one so far, but I'm pretty sure we'll be able to get even weirder as this topic continues.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Bus Named Desire reminds me of that old lady who hit a douche's Porsche with her umbrella.

When I listen to Made To Be Broken, I always think of teddy bears dancing in circles.

I always imagine Mother Mary whenever I listen to Black Star.

Sometimes I get Crazy Mixed Up World and the classic song Father and Son, well, mixed up.

I know Dave sang Close, but in my mind the singer is always a girl with green eyes.

Crashing Down reminds me of Sponge Bob.

Runaway Train reminds me of claustrophobic rooms - while Def Leppard's Two Steps Behind reminds me of Runaway Train.

... More to come...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Just looking at the tracklist of Horse made me remember a number of strange associations:

Nice Guys (Don't Get Paid)
Oddly enough, this song reminds me of three different games. First of all, the verse about the train makes me think of a part in Paper Mario where Mario is on a train. Second, in my mind the town where the potion is sold looks a lot like Mercadia, which is an obscure city in the Magic card game universe. Finally, the line about spiders' webs in basements and attics reminds me of a house in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time filled with spiders. Pretty geeky, huh?

Something Out of Nothing
Although this entire song just reminds me of Led Zeppelin (as explained in Similar songs), one of my misheard lyrics for that song reminds me of something completely unrelated. At first, I thought "It's easy to kill what's hard to grow" was something with "lightning row," which makes me think of the car "Greased Lightning" in Grease...

Grounded
Another video game reference here: this one makes me think of the RPG Earthbound, both because its soundtrack sounds somehow similar and because the main character is a teenager (which goes well with "grounded").

Easy Street
This song reminds me of a former classmate who attempted suicide just a few months before graduation. Luckily, she lived through it and got to graduate with the rest of us that summer. To me, the lyrics are really what gives Easy Street much of its lasting value.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

Be On Your Way makes me think of a dying cell phone every time I hear it. The little bleeping noise always takes me by surprise and I look for my cell phone even though I know that it's off. (Does everyone else hear the little blip that sounds like a dying cell phone, or am I going crazy?)

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

stuck_in_the_90s wrote:Be On Your Way makes me think of a dying cell phone every time I hear it. The little bleeping noise always takes me by surprise and I look for my cell phone even though I know that it's off. (Does everyone else hear the little blip that sounds like a dying cell phone, or am I going crazy?)
I think many of us wouldn't make the association just because we were listening to the song long before we had cell phones. I didn't get into soul asylum "early" by any means, but I was listening to horse a good 8 years or so before I ever had a cell phone. I'd have to listen to it again to see if I hear that blip though, it's possible it's different than any of the cell phones I've had (most of which I've hated).

Phil