What is your favorite song on Candy From A Stranger?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Candy From A Stranger?

Creatures of Habit
No votes
I Will Still Be Laughing
21%
Close
15%
See You Later
8%
No Time For Waiting
6%
Blood Into Wine
6%
Lies of Hate
No votes
Draggin' the Lake
2%
New York Blackout
10%
The Game
4%
Cradle Chain
27%

Total votes: 48

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite song on Candy From A Stranger?

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

this is my favorite sa cd i was suprised i was the only one to vote 4 the game which is my fav song this is the best cd of the 90s in my opinion

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

CrazyLittleWoman
Ask poor Rusty. She had to listen to me rehash the St. Louis show into the wee hours of the morning.
I hear ya. I'm still re-hashing the last three shows; Sara has had enough..."I know I was there" she says. The kids have had enough too. Now; just my two dogs will listen. :lol:

Psst...CLW it's ok to like "Stand;" I won't tell anyone. :P.
The music maybe "simple"; but in my opinion the lyrics are powerful.

And nothing can take away from you
What you take
Well, you know what you've got to do
Stand up and be strong
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Sometime to Return wrote:
CrazyLittleWoman
Ask poor Rusty. She had to listen to me rehash the St. Louis show into the wee hours of the morning.
I hear ya. I'm still re-hashing the last three shows; Sara has had enough..."I know I was there" she says. The kids have had enough too. Now; just my two dogs will listen. :lol:
It's just lucky for me that Rusty is as enthusiastic about the band as I am.
Sometime to Return wrote:Psst...CLW it's ok to like "Stand;" I won't tell anyone. :P.
*whispers* Psst...STR, I never said it was "Stand." Don't you get me in trouble. :P

Back on topic:
EL DANGEROSO wrote:this is my favorite sa cd i was suprised i was the only one to vote 4 the game which is my fav song this is the best cd of the 90s in my opinion
Welcome, El Dangeroso.

I really like "The Game," just not the album version, which is one reason it didn't get my vote.

I prefer the live version recorded on After the Flood . The instrumentation and arrangement are much better and Dave's vocals are more emotionally charged and evocative than on the album version.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:
EL DANGEROSO wrote:this is my favorite sa cd i was suprised i was the only one to vote 4 the game which is my fav song this is the best cd of the 90s in my opinion
Welcome, El Dangeroso.

I really like "The Game," just not the album version, which is one reason it didn't get my vote.

I prefer the live version recorded on After the Flood . The instrumentation and arrangement are much better and Dave's vocals are more emotionally charged and evocative than on the album version.
El Gangeroso, CrazyLittleWoman hit the nail on the head. So many of us heard the songs that became the Candy CD in a live setting the first time(s) we heard them, so once we fell in love with their live incarnations, their eventual studio versions on the CD were a bit of a let-down. Although still good, they just lacked the same "spark" that we'd already experienced. I also think The Game is a beautiful song, but when I think of Cradle Chain, it was just so much FUN at the shows I'd seen it at, that it has to be considered my Favorite from Candy.

dells

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i think i might finally be starting to GET what the heck all your problems are with the album... i'm trying to think of an analogy - like if i read a book and THEN see a movie on it, i like the book way better, but if i see a movie THEN read teh book i like the movie better.

so maybe it's just a matter of the format you first heard the songs in or something... *(i'm really TRYING to get it !) :)
and i've found some live recordings of some of the songs, but i know that's not the same as being there live... but from those i don't feel the reverse of not likign the live versions as much as the first version (album) that i heard... although i do like the album versions a little better so maybe that logic works... Stopping rambling now! sorry!

anyways... about The Game - yeah that is probably like #2 for me on the album. (at the moment!) i love dave's voice esp. on this whole album.

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

i do understand those songs are better live but i think you could say that about all of there songs there an amazing live band i do love the live version of the game clw its almost a different song

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

zany wrote:i think i might finally be starting to GET what the heck all your problems are with the album... i'm trying to think of an analogy - like if i read a book and THEN see a movie on it, i like the book way better, but if i see a movie THEN read teh book i like the movie better.

so maybe it's just a matter of the format you first heard the songs in or something... *(i'm really TRYING to get it !) :)
and i've found some live recordings of some of the songs, but i know that's not the same as being there live... but from those i don't feel the reverse of not likign the live versions as much as the first version (album) that i heard... although i do like the album versions a little better so maybe that logic works... Stopping rambling now! sorry!

anyways... about The Game - yeah that is probably like #2 for me on the album. (at the moment!) i love dave's voice esp. on this whole album.
Actually, I saw my first live SA show a year ago and the only song from Candy that I've seen live is "See You Later." That's not really my problem with the album as a whole. I don't dislike it, but it's not among my favorites, either.

As for "The Game," I just think that in the live version recorded on After the Flood the vocals are more impassioned and better evoke the emotions implicit in the lyrics. The album version seems tepid in comparison on this song.

I'm pretty sure this video of "The Game"uses the audio track from After the Flood, if you'd like to contrast and compare for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqsIXDAnKqU

But I don't think that's always true. There are a couple songs in which the vocal performance on the album is more impassioned than the live versions I've witnessed. This is probably just because they've performed the songs so many times that a lot of the original emotional intensity has worn off for them.

One of my problems with Candy is that the vocals are all polished up. There's almost no voice-cracking on this CD as there is on most of the earlier albums. I don't mind it when a singer doesn't quite make the note because she or he is striving to get the emotion across. I'll take emotional intensity over vocal perfection any day (for example, I prefer the "strangled scream" or "coughing up a hairball" vocals of the album version of "Stranger"). :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

EL DANGEROSO wrote: i do love the live version of the game clw its almost a different song
No need to be sarcastic, Dangerous One. I realize that the differences are not dramatic, just more pleasing to my ear. :)

Endless Farewell
Stranger

Post by Endless Farewell »

I voted for The Game. See You Later would be a close 2nd.