Pirner and Juliana Hatfield

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
scandal84
Marionette

Pirner and Juliana Hatfield

Post by scandal84 »

In her new book WHEN I GROW UP, Juliana Hatfield mentions Dave Pirner in Chapter 9 on pages 60 to 65.

ArmyKat
Inmate

Re: Pirner and Juliana Hatfield

Post by ArmyKat »

Can you give a little summary? They're two of my faves, but I don't know when I'll get my hands on JH's book.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

scandal84 wrote:In her new book WHEN I GROW UP, Juliana Hatfield mentions Dave Pirner in Chapter 9 on pages 60 to 65.
the drummer from semisonic mentions him continually throughout his book too. and didn't a mailman from minneapolis write a book that had a segment about him?

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

ArmyKat wrote:Can you give a little summary? They're two of my faves, but I don't know when I'll get my hands on JH's book.
Instead of a summary, you can use Amazon's "search inside" feature to read the pages that have Dave's name on them. I'm glad I found this feature, 'cause I'd have been very pissed if I'd shelled out the bucks to buy her book just to read her dissing Dave.

On this page,:
http://www.amazon.com/When-I-Grow-up-Me ... 8-4#reader

over on the left, just put Dave Pirner in the "search inside this book" box, and you can read up to 2 or 3 page either side of the search result, starting on page 60, then on the left, in the search results summary, you can also read page 82 or so, where his name appears again, where although nothing's actually said about Dave, she still manages to mention him in a negative light, seeming to assign blame on him for something he had nothing to do with personally.

So I guess the point of my rant is, unless you're a Juliana fan, don't waste money on her book, just to see what she says about Dave, 'cause she ain't nice to him.

The drummer from Semisonic's book is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Wanna-Rock-Roll-S ... 1-1#reader

His book doesn't really say anything "about" Dave, it's more like name-dropping who he's met and worked with throughout his musical journey, but I like his writing style, from the pages I was able to read. I might actually get this guy's book someday, if I remember it when I'm feeling rich enough to waste my money on stuff I don't actually need.

dells

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

sheryl wrote:
scandal84 wrote:In her new book WHEN I GROW UP, Juliana Hatfield mentions Dave Pirner in Chapter 9 on pages 60 to 65.
the drummer from semisonic mentions him continually throughout his book too. and didn't a mailman from minneapolis write a book that had a segment about him?
O.K. After successfully managing to use Amazon's cool feature to read how Juliana and Jacob Slichter worked Dave into their books, I'm dying to see what the mailman has to say. Do you happen to know the mailman's name, or the name of his book, so I can find the book on Amazon?

Anyone?

dells

ArmyKat
Inmate

Post by ArmyKat »

Thanks for the Amazon pointers, Dells. The JH book is really disappointing. I guess insecurity makes for good teenage anthems, but not so much for book writing and interacting with other musicians.

How dare Dave make tea?!?! =)

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I heard about the mailman book here on the forum, so maybe there's a post hidden somewhere with more information about it.

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

ArmyKat wrote:How dare Dave make tea?!?! =)
For some reason, I missed that page where she asked him about the ginger, so I'm glad you made that comment, 'cause I was wondering about the ginger myself, but, reading it in the middle of the night, I too tired to realize that I hadn't read as far as was possible. I'm not surprised that Dave makes ginger tea, but I was surprised that, at that show, anyway, he hadn't made his ginger tea BEFORE he went on, as the ginger was still there after he finished his set. Ginger is good for nausea, so I would have expected it to be used to quell nerve-enduced preshow nausea. Perhaps ginger is also good for an overworked throat post-show? I don't know, but now I'm curious. :) I know that Def Leppard's Joe Elliott drinks a hot tea with honey as part of his throat/voice care. It's good to know our fav frontmen are taking care of their pipes, and kinda fun to get a tiny glimps of a part of their showtime rituals.

dells

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

ginger is pretty tasty, too, and doesnt require a specific reason for consumption, imho.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Some better books to hear about Dave or SA in would include Laurie Lindeen's (from the ZuZu's Petals) book: "Petal Pusher: A rock and roll cinderella story". I'd actually recommend that book all around, as it has a lot to do with the minneapolis music scene, and more so with what stresses of being in a band can do, and how it works etc. She's also a talented writer, and a big Soul Asylum fan, so that definitely makes it more interesting.

The other book that I can think of with quite a few SA mentions is Jim Walsh's book: "All over but the shouting, an oral history of the Replacements". About another of the great MPLS bands (if you're into them, reading this is well worth it).

I read both these books back in December (although I had been meaning to pick them up and read them long before then). Both are great, and I'd have enjoyed even if their were no relation to SA, but such a relation definitely doesn't hurt them.

Phil