Favorite Unreleased SA Song

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Favorite Unreleased SA Song

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

This is sort of a spin-off, prompted by Benny's posting of Be on My Side, as well as some of the songs that came up in the "Song You Most Want to Hear Live" thread. This question might make for a good poll but I'm not the right person to do it, as I am not familiar enough with all the songs they were performing between albums and would undoubtedly leave stuff off.

Freak Accident probably edges out Directions for me, although I also always really liked the song Wandering Eyes. Did they ever perform that as a band or did Dave and Dan only do that one during those acoustic shows?

Others?
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Man, this forum is on a roll with posts tonight!

I'm not sure if it was just Dave and Dan when Wandering Eyes was performed. I'd have to go with Directions closely followed by Freak Accident or Gone Forgotten.

Other songs that wern't released include:

Gone Forgotten*
Painkiller*
Easy To Avoid
Some Obsessions
(Waiting is So Long) Forever and a Day
Flat On My Head
My Saving Grace
Whatever Town
Thick & Thin
Built To Last
Cruel Intentions
Debris
Dead Letter
Uber Computer
Up With You (pre Blood Into Wine)
Lucky One*
By The Way*
Be On My Side
Black Star*
Square Root*
Straight Up*
Everybody Loves A Winner*
Little House on the Edge*
One Way Conversation*
Village Idiot*
I Should've Stayed In Bed All Day*

* Have been B-sides or was available on some rare release, not incuding bootlegs.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Alright...as a point of reference if someone wants to make a defnitive list of non-album tracks and stick it somewhere on the site.......here's my homemade mix of outtakes. I tried to stick with studio songs (released and unreleased) and covers songs officially released from the studio (and some live bootleg filler) ... I think Todd has corrected/completed this list on Ojeez in the past...There are some songs I never figured out their true origin.. Goodbye Minneapolis, anyone? ... (The dates next to the songs are not the only times they have been played, just the occasions I referenced for my list)

Soul Asylum Non-Album Trax

DISC ONE 1985-1992
1985 Practice:
1. Taking What I Can Get
2. To Be There
Hang Time Demos:
3. My Saving Grace
4. Forever and a Day (aka Waiting is So Long)
Clam Dip European Version:
5. Jukebox Hero (original version by Foreigner)
6. Move Over (original version by Janis Joplin)
Non-Album Official Releases - Studio Tracks:
7. It’s Not My Fault (â€

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I'll also give a nod to Freak Accident.

Even my sister Erin, who's not a fan but heard the song many times in my car thanks to bootlegs, was surprised it never made the latest cd. Her exact words were, "that song was actually good." I think she meant that nicely...sort of...

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

wow, quite the list rob! Although, I'd leave off covers from this endeavor as they've probably done 100s of those through the years. I think caged rat's old page had a list of a ton of cover songs they've done. Although, one of my favorite covers was back in '98 when they were doing Waterfalls. That was such a great one.

As for the SA songs that were unreleased, there might be some missing, but I'm not going to try and catalog them. Also note that Lonely For You was originally on the I will still be laughing single (and was a better version on there, although still not as good as the dave solo ones). I forgot to list lonely in my earlier thread looking for songs I want to hear live. That is such a powerful song.

The outtakes list they have is just so huge now. I think they could have released 2 or 3 albums with just the "outtakes" from CFAS and TSL. It's just sick how many there are. I remember almost 10 years ago making up the Never Really Been Released CDs, but those are quite outdated now. Does anyone remember where on the o'jeez board we made the definitive list of TSL "outtakes"?

Phil

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

ooooooooh my gosh. there are a lot of songs there that i just have never heard. i have so many soul asylum cd's how is this even possible? i spent all last summer collecting and trading....and wow. they are a lot more prolific than i realized. holy jeez. (o jeez?)

i can't really pick a favorite i dont think. i go in spells where i like something a lot, then suddenly i like something else.

one way conversation gets a ton of play from me though.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

philipgar wrote: Does anyone remember where on the o'jeez board we made the definitive list of TSL "outtakes"?

Phil
I believe this might be it (although this link has a little more info on where the newer songs were played, but there wasn't a long thread about it, as opposed to this one):

new new songs:
crazy mixed up world
lately
debris
dead letter
good for you
be on my side
happy now (where'd you get this one??)
Stand in the Water (or Standing in the Water)

new songs
true believer
hallowed ground
uber computer
oxygen
built to last
slowly rising
cruel intentions
directions
showtime
freak accident
hurricane
built to last
whats the use
be strong
hold it down
never felt before
volunteer (is it SA?)

old new songs
success is not so sweet
snowblind
some obsessions
straight up

(Copied from here).

norma023
O'Jeezer

Re: Favorite Unreleased SA Song

Post by norma023 »

archives say this was only done by Dave and Dan acoustically during (mostly) 1991. Around 6 times total. Never been played since.

Too bad too, maybe he could dust that one off for his Volunteers shows??
Miss Fitt 2 wrote:although I also always really liked the song Wandering Eyes. Did they ever perform that as a band or did Dave and Dan only do that one during those acoustic shows?
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

tditz_gb
Marionette

Post by tditz_gb »

I forget...has One Way Conversation ever been given a proper release or is it still only found on the Horse promo cd? Love, love, love that song.
Gone Forgotten is another great one. Should have made it to a regular cd.
...One day dirt will bury you and you will understand, there is nothing much more than the ground on which you stand...

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

tditz_gb wrote:I forget...has One Way Conversation ever been given a proper release or is it still only found on the Horse promo cd? Love, love, love that song.
It was also the b-side to the Easy Street vinyl (not the CD version though). Does anyone happen to know how many copies might have been released for the promo CD? As far as I know it was just given out to the radio stations, so there can't be that many.