Dave Interview tomorrow on 91.1!

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
zany
Social Butterfly

Re: Dave Interview tomorrow on 91.1!

Post by zany »

did your 75+_45 minutes include stuff that was cut out from th e 50 mins on the website? just curious. certainly not complaining ! 50 mins was great :) this was the longest most-sober interview i've heard of dave i think. or maybe just the interviewer was asking better questions than other ones i've heard or something. either way, i quite enjoyed it ! glad you all caught it and posted the link :) thanks!

sara nice job asking the riff question :) i could never quite hear what you all were talking about - my ear is not very good i guess - but for those that did hear it - was it what dave hummed?

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Oh my god -- I can't believe they are planning on playing Stranger!!!!

That is one of my all-time favorites and has been on my most-wanted-song list forever, and I won't be there to hear it! :cry:
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

don't worry - maybe it'll go well and be played more often in the future! i'm psyched at the live harmonica :) i love it.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

zany wrote:don't worry - maybe it'll go well and be played more often in the future! i'm psyched at the live harmonica :) i love it.
I hope so! Hearing that song live would be pure magic for me.

Dave played a tiny bit of harmonica during a sound check at a show last summer, and I was hoping that might mean they were going to play Stranger, but alas.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

My favorite part of the interview was the "Dude, you don't got a mom?" part. I've been laughing about it all day. I always wondered about that line of the song though.

I still can't believe I actually talked to him and I'm so happy, but on the other hand I also feel embarrassed 'cuz I feel like I my question was really dumb and I sounded like a blithering idiot. :roll:

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

AlyssaJones wrote:I still can't believe I actually talked to him and I'm so happy, but on the other hand I also feel embarrassed 'cuz I feel like I my question was really dumb and I sounded like a blithering idiot. :roll:
Nothing to feel embarrassed about. It was a great interview and you helped make it a great interview by asking an interesting question that prompted a lively response.

You definitely gave him food for thought. He considered your question very carefully and I love how he responded that he sincerely didn't know what you were referring to, but that you were probably recognizing something that was actually there -- and then went on to provide both an educated guess about what you were hearing (i.e., descending in a C or G major chord) along with a self-deprecating remark about how it was probably a pattern of theirs because it was easy. :)

The whole interview was good, and the host was a good interviewer, but there were still a lot of questions that have been asked over and over in interviews, along with Dave's usual responses. (New Orleans: "I learned to be a fan again"; The Old Days: "We lived like animals"). It was such a treat whenever the interviewer or the fans calling in asked something fresh and we got to hear insights from Dave that we don't usually get. I love how thoughtful and genuine he was with his answers to the unusual questions.

Plus it was very entertaining to hear him hum his guess at the riff. ;)

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

that's such a tease to play harmonica in sound check !!

yeah don't feel bad sara i liked your part :) you did very well - i would have been like "ummmmmmmmmmm i forgot what i was gonna say... hi dave hee hee." :)

and yup... i did recognize a few things i'd heard before somewhere (generational trombone players for one) but good point on the thoughtful thorough answers from dave :) and it sounded like he got really into the question about songs bringing you back to places and how he loved playing songs for eli that he loved and seeign eli's reaction (aw)

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

zany wrote:it sounded like he got really into the question about songs bringing you back to places and how he loved playing songs for eli that he loved and seeign eli's reaction (aw)
Yes, the way he captured that way of experiencing and sharing music by describing it as, "Passng on something intangible. Passing on an emotion."

Also his description of listening to a Louis Armstrong song in New Orleans and sharing a sensory experience of one's environment in a way that transcends time.

Some very nice moments in that interview.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I really enjoyed that interview. I agree that some of the questions and answers I'd heard before, but it was still a good listen. I think having the fans ask questions maybe got away from the standard questions and made it fresher.

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

Yep was a gr8 listen, interesting to hear him talking about the Backbeat band and how Soul Asylum have played in the same small club in Germany as the Beatles when they were relatively unknown - Now if only they could play in the small underground club where the Beatles first ever played a show at, in Liverpool - Although not for at least a year now as I won't be there!