2009 July 3rd - Surf Ballroom, Clear Lake, IA

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
norma023
O'Jeezer

2009 July 3rd - Surf Ballroom, Clear Lake, IA

Post by norma023 »

I was curious about the July 3rd Surf Ballroom show and if (younger) kids would be able to attend (versus this being an 18+ show or whatever),
so I inquired with the venue, specifically mentioning my 9 yr old son, and the answer I received was:

"he can absolutely attend - just needs to be accompanied by an adult ticketholder! Please be advised, however, that the crowd is anticipated to be a "party crowd" and a bit wild"

So bring the kids !!

:mrgreen:
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

norma023
O'Jeezer

Re: Clear Lake Iowa show info

Post by norma023 »

reports ?? Who all went ?? I didn't

Heard they played "Wipe Out" and That'll Be The Day" though.....

Oh, also heard the show was awesome.

Surely somone else has more info to report on than that though
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

My beautiful bride and I made the journey down.

They did play wipe out and another “surf” song; sorry I know it/ sang it but can’t remember the name of it. Two “surf” songs at the “Surf” ballroom; gotta love the humor.

The did play the opening verse or two of “that’ll be the day;” a pretty cool thing/ tribute to do considering the venue.

See the MN zoo for the rest of the set list; the only other addition was “Oxygen” and “Stranger” was on the set list but they didn’t play it.

Tommy wore a Bon F*ing (spelled out and with a “g”) Scott t-shirt. Don’t know why but I found it funny. Dave did walk over to the right side of the stage and hand a guitar pick to kid in the front row (he was probably 10 or so).

Not even my Soul Asylum rose colored glasses would use the term awesome to describe the show. Tommy’s playing was awesome; Dan and Michael were there usual steady/ professional selves. As much as I hate to say it; to me, Dave appeared to have an off night.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

This is why I shouldn’t multi task at work.

What I thought was hilarious was… Bon F***in’ (spelled out) (apostrophe after the “n” not a “g”) Scott.

Carry on…
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Flipstain
Stranger

Post by Flipstain »

I thought it was an awesome show. It is the first time I've seen them in 16 years though. Being a huge Replacements fan it was great to see Tommy as well. The crowd was terrible. I think I saw one other guy in the whole place moving to the music. Everyone else just stood there like zombies. It didn't seem to affect the band's enrgy though.

bring_light
Brand New Shine

Post by bring_light »

I was at this show! Sorry for the late review but better late than never I guess.

Hung out in the front row the whole concert. It was a great time. The guys really seemed to enjoy themselves. They played part of a Buddy Holly bit as a nod to the Surf Ballroom.

Here are some photos I took from the front row. Enjoy.
13 photos - Soul Asylum @ Surf Ballroom - 7/3/09

kmoore24
Lone Rider

Post by kmoore24 »

The Clear Lake show was great! My wife & I took our 16-year-old daughter for her first Soul Asylum show. All of the staff at the Surf are very nice & friendly. The opening band did not show up (no big loss). Soul Asylum did play a bit of Wipeout & That'll Be The Day. I think the other "surf" song was either Walk Don't Run or Pipeline. Dave was mingling & taking pictures with some fans before the show & I saw Tommy checking out the Surf memoribilia throughout the ballroom before the show. I thought the crowd was very into the show & not "zombies".