What is your favorite song on Grave Dancers Union?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Grave Dancers Union?

Somebody To Shove
14%
Black Gold
3%
Runaway Train
15%
Keep It Up
3%
Homesick
7%
Get On Out
2%
New World
2%
April Fool
8%
Without A Trace
31%
Growing Into You
3%
99%
7%
The Sun Maid
5%

Total votes: 59

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: What is your favorite song on Grave Dancers Union?

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I thought this would be a good thread to happily share that I found GDU vinyl today. :D Went to a nearby record story for National Record Store Day and lucked out. :)

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Oh, good for you, it's great that you can still find stuff like that ;)
Some time ago you all concluded that there are no good radio stations anymore. I agree. The same crappy stuff on every one of them. But, there's one, just one over here that still regularly plays Runaway Train, but only RT. OK, I'm repeating myself, but a week after I heard RT (my first conscious encounter with SA) on the radio, I went to a record store and bought GDU :D And it was BRAND NEW!! That was my first Soul Asylum album, and my favorite song on it is Without A Trace, so that's what I voted for, even though it really was a tough choice, every song on this album is brilliant!!

And back to radio stations, I once requested for String Of Pearls, but they didn't grant my wish :(

Endless Farewell
Stranger

Post by Endless Farewell »

#1 Runaway Train. New World, Homesick, and The Sun Maid close behind it.

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Hi guys!
Read about what happened on my way home yesterday:
So, I was out on a Friday night, and at 5 a.m. my dad picked me up, and as alway we were having the radio on. We were listening to one of those, as i call them, "serious" radio stations, the ones my dad likes to listen to, the ones that I've never heard playing RT and all of a sudden they are playing runaway train! Ha!! I could not believe! :D It was a perfect ending of a great night
Yeah, that's it. Bye now!

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

spodiba wrote:Hi guys!
Read about what happened on my way home yesterday:
So, I was out on a Friday night, and at 5 a.m. my dad picked me up, and as alway we were having the radio on. We were listening to one of those, as i call them, "serious" radio stations, the ones my dad likes to listen to, the ones that I've never heard playing RT and all of a sudden they are playing runaway train! Ha!! I could not believe! :D It was a perfect ending of a great night
Yeah, that's it. Bye now!
that's so weird because i had a similar moment yesterday too!! we were driving about an hour to my family's. my husband had a satellite radio station on and i was getting bored and antsy so i jokingly complained to him and said "Are we There yet? i'm boooored. Can we listen to some Soul Asylum??" and at that moment, Misery came on the station (i think it was the 90s station so not as unusal for them to play it compared to you 'serious' station :) but the timing was freaky. ) i should try requesting them more often...

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

haha, cool! :)

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

People, I gotta ask you something!
I introduced a friend of mine to Soul Asylum, and the only song she likes is Runaway Train and she even knows how to play the song on the guitar. Last night she was playing it and her dad told her that he knows the song too, but that it's not a Soul Asylum song but a song by Tom Peety. So I googled it and google says that those lyrics that we know are written by Tom Peety, not by SA! :roll: So, do you know what that is?

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

spodiba wrote:People, I gotta ask you something!
I introduced a friend of mine to Soul Asylum, and the only song she likes is Runaway Train and she even knows how to play the song on the guitar. Last night she was playing it and her dad told her that he knows the song too, but that it's not a Soul Asylum song but a song by Tom Peety. So I googled it and google says that those lyrics that we know are written by Tom Peety, not by SA! :roll: So, do you know what that is?
Tom Petty has a song called Runaway Trains and that's probably how there's confusion and if you google that you'll find the lyrics to SA's Runaway train under Tom Petty's name, but that's the internet for ya... a lot of incorrect information.

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks for answering :)

swendo
Runaway

Post by swendo »

I had a hard time deciding on a #1 song, which probably illustrates what a great album this is with so many fine songs to pick from. I ultimately went with "Growing Into You" which maybe gets a little overlooked and I think reflects, for me, SA as a band at their electric best and some fine lyricism by Dave. I also love "New World" when they play it live nowadays and wish they'd throw in "April Fool" every once in a while. Truthfully, though, I never really dug "Sun Maid". (I think just don't get it :) One thing I did get is the Runaway Train single, and I'd recommend it. "By the Way" and their cover of Booker T's "Everybody Loves a Winner" are pretty great songs themselves.
There's a ringing in my ears that's Heaven-sent