How did you get into Soul Asylum?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Daren wrote:disappointed because it was a two on one situation and he really seemed disinterested. don't get me wrong, i'd still love a chance to talk to him again.

i think that's just what happens when it's both of them and one fan. when one is actively involved in a conversation with someone, the other is just standing there waiting around, or ends up talking to somebody else. unusual, from my experience anyway, that it was danny doing the talking though. i usually see him sneaking away, wandering off or just kind of nodding politely while dave talks, shows people the pictures in his wallet (no lie. i've seen him do it.), poses for pictures, all that stuff. dave's usually super sociable and friendly. if you get the chance to talk to him again, definitely take it.

Daren
Stranger

Post by Daren »

well put. trust me i will take it. when i did meet them it was a different time. i'm still proud that i got to talk to them, and both my wife and daughter are tired of hearing about it. but i'll be the gut hanging outside first ave dec 21 after the show.

fastlane
Stranger

Post by fastlane »

late December 1990 - home from college on break - a friend of mine dragged me down to the Fastlane in Asbury Park, NJ to see them. It was a bitter cold night and I remember thinkin what the hell am i doing here???.... then the show started. I was hooked.

3 nights later i was up in Hoboken with the same crew of friends for SA's NYE show at Maxwell's. The band put on an amazing 3 long sets that night, and we partied our asses off. I remember like it was yesterday- almost every great cover they've ever done was played.... at midnight handing champagne to Dave, Dan, Karl and some of their dates/friends for the big toast.... helping to finish off a bottle of Jaeger the band was passing around during the final set.... it was an epic all nighter.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

First intro to SA

Post by sayeeda »

Sometime in late '93. I used to listen to a lot of 50s and 60s stuff before then, and had just started tuning in to more recent music. Runaway Train was still getting a lot of radio airplay at that time. When I heard it for the first time, I was hooked. I'd get so impatient with waiting for it to play again that I called in and requested it, often. Meh, I was only 14 at the time. :) The rest, as the quote goes, is history.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Don't think of me as being hung up on only one song. I've always been an SA fan...just a very casual fan who's managed to discover other amazing SA songs over the years with the help of a few fellow SA fans/friends. Cheers!

tditz_gb
Marionette

Post by tditz_gb »

My first opportunity to get into Soul Asylum came sometime before the release of Hang Time when a friend who was attending U of M in Minneapolis borrowed me a cassette copy of Made To Be Broken and While You Were Out, suggesting I might like them. Unfortunately, this now reformed metalhead only gave the tape a cursory listen before return it saying it just wasn't my sort of thing. Or so I thought.
Skip ahead about one year.
Another friend, also a fan of metal music, had begun hosting a college radio show at the University of Green Bay that was increasingly leaning away from hard rock and metal and more toward indie rock and punk.
I very clearly remember the afternoon I tuned in to listen to his show, never suspecting my life was about to change forever.
A few selections into his three hour time slot, one particular song just knocked me for a loop. I couldn't get to the phone fast enough to call the studio and ask what I had just heard. I seem to remember my friend laughing at my lunatic ravings before informing me that the band I had just heard was Soul Asylum and the song was "Beggars and Choosers" from their new record. I owned it soon after.
Of course, I still listened to a lot of metal music following my unexpected college rock epiphany and that lone Soul Asylum record, despite my undeniable enjoyment of every song on it, remained a guilty pleasure in my collection, seeming almost treasonous to a music scene I had long supported. But, little by little, it managed to push and wiggle it's way into heavy rotation between my Celtic Frost and Voivod LPs.
As time went on, The radio show that first introduced me to Soul Asylum began to influence my musical tastes more and more. I was exposed to a whole new world of music and I began seeing punk rock shows in Green Bay which had a lively underground scene at the time. Finally, in January of 1990 I had my first chance to see Soul Asylum in all it's beautiful, ragged, punk rock glory...and the rest, as they say, is history.

With the possible exception of the first time I heard Nirvana's "Smells like Teen Spirit", (that being the moment when the metal monster was put to rest once and for all) there has been no other moment in my musical life that has been nearly as profoundly memorable or influential than my first introduction ( Ok, ok, technically it was the SECOND!) to Soul Asylum. When I consider my friends all over the world whom I would never have met, the concert road trips I never would have taken, and all the treasured memories of concert moments I never would have experienced had it not been for this band...well...I shudder to think what life might have been like had I not tuned into the radio that faithful day.

Tim
...One day dirt will bury you and you will understand, there is nothing much more than the ground on which you stand...

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

OK, you guys are making me feel pretty old. I was married and wrangling two toddlers when I first heard Soul Asylum. I loved every song I heard and my husband bought at least one CD, which we played until it became scratched beyond repair (we are not kind to our collection, sadly). My husband swears I went to a concert in the 90's featuring SA, but I do not recall it. Of course, I think raising two boys who are 18 months apart caused massive brain damage and black holes in my memory, allowing me to actually have a third child 13 years after the second, but I can't believe I would forget seeing them. The concert at the Hollywood Clambake (9/29/07), with all it's mishaps, rain, and wind, was unforgettable!

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

g8trcarol wrote:OK, you guys are making me feel pretty old. I was married and wrangling two toddlers when I first heard Soul Asylum. I loved every song I heard and my husband bought at least one CD, which we played until it became scratched beyond repair (we are not kind to our collection, sadly). My husband swears I went to a concert in the 90's featuring SA, but I do not recall it. Of course, I think raising two boys who are 18 months apart caused massive brain damage and black holes in my memory, allowing me to actually have a third child 13 years after the second, but I can't believe I would forget seeing them. The concert at the Hollywood Clambake (9/29/07), with all it's mishaps, rain, and wind, was unforgettable!

don't feel bad. i saw three sa concerts in the 90's and had a several hours long conversation with dave that i didn't remember had happened until last year, and someone had to actually remind me. i only remember in the vaguest possible way and i'm still foggy on the conversation. i remember having it, but dave's participation is still hazy, and i dont remember my friend malcolm being there at all.

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

I still maintain that I didn't go. My husband has had full-blown blackouts due to heavy drinking on rare occasions, but I don't. I remember the whole night, largely due to being the designated driver! It is not impossible that I was there, but I would like photographic proof!!!

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

g8trcarol wrote:I still maintain that I didn't go. My husband has had full-blown blackouts due to heavy drinking on rare occasions, but I don't. I remember the whole night, largely due to being the designated driver! It is not impossible that I was there, but I would like photographic proof!!!
haha!! i wanted proof as well,especially about the really long conversation that i was sure i'd know if it had been with dave! wouldn't you know, 20 years later a friend of mine presented me with proof. the loser. made me mad because now i have to accept that most of 93 and 94 were not only a haze,but completely gonked out of my head!