2009 Sep. 19th - Landshark Oysterfest, Chicago, IL

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

2009 Sep. 19th - Landshark Oysterfest, Chicago, IL

Post by philipgar »

Well, seeing as this show is tomorrow... who all plans on making this one? It looks like I'll be able to make it, so I'm quite excited. i'm going on a year since I last saw them, so this should be fun. It also looks like the band might get a somewhat decent amount of stagetime as they are supposed to go on at 8:30, and the festival ends at 10.

So, who else plans on making this one, and when do people plan on arriving? I'm amazed no thread about this has been posted yet... Looking forward to seeing a lot of you guys again!

Phil

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: 9/19 Chicago Show - Landshark Oysterfest

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I'll be there; it's only about 10 miles from my house (but that's at least a half hour drive in traffic). :P

I'm probably getting there around 4:30. With the concert being in a small Chicago neighborhood/community it might have very limited parking (mostly being on local residental streets and even business parking lots), I would advise to probably get there at least an hour before the show starts (though that's how early I usually am before any SA show). I can almost guarantee there will be lots of people already hanging around the stage from the prior performances, more so than the last few shows that have seen them outside; so use your best judgement.

The weather report looks like it will be a great day as well; hope to see everyone that can make it there.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

michaellach
Lone Rider

Post by michaellach »

Did anyone get the setlist for this show? I'm curious to know what songs they played.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

michaellach wrote:Did anyone get the setlist for this show? I'm curious to know what songs they played.
Phil wrote down the setlist; the list though was pretty much consistent with most of their past concerts in the last few years. The show, which was set for 8:30 actually started about 15 minutes early and ended I believe around 9:45. There was a pretty big crowd; a lot more than I expected. The group interacted a lot with one another as well as with the crowd and seemed to all be in a good mood. The weather couldn't have been any nicer. All in all great performance; one of the best outdoor ones I've seen in a long time. It was great to see everyone again.

Also, I don't know how long they've been out, but they have a bunch of new shirts now (possibly due to their new management?) including:

1. A black shirt with the Hang Time album art
2. A green shirt with the While You Were Out album art
3. A black shirt with the SA script logo in white (w/ hoodies also available)
4. A black shirt with this picture all in red with Soul Asylum written in white
5. The black Michael Bland Lego one :)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Sorry for the delay in posting this, but I had left my notes in my car and was too tired to get them until now.

The show was really good. The band seemed to be in good spirits, having fun, and playing well. Unfortunately Dave's monitor (which I was standing next to) seemed to buzz a bit more than it should have, and from where I was his guitar didn't quite sound right. Other than that things were good. Here follows the setlist, intermingled with notes

1. Somebody To Shove
2. All Is Well
3. Misery/Silly love songs
4. Lately with this really weird extended intro to it. Don't really no how to describe it
5. Black Gold - before this song some girls in the audience were yelling out DAVE oh my god.. and so Dave goes up to the mic and mocks them with an "oh my god.. it's dave"
6. A Blues jam of sorts... not sure what they were playing, or if they were just goofing around
7. Without a Trace -dedicated to Karl
8. New World
9. Just like anyone - in the key of D for Dave Dan and DRUNK
10. Cartoon / Gone Till November (they played the entirety of Gone Till November in this "medley"
11. Watcha Need - in the what do you need michael section of this song, he said Oysters... and a big pack of trojans for afterward. Was rather amusing.
12. String of Pearls - before this song dave was having some technical difficulties and the rest of the band starts playing a bit fooling around, and dave makes a joke about playing some Rush and starts singing a verse from Tom Sawyer
13. Never Really Been
14. Runaway Train
15. Closer to the stars - started acoustic, dave switched to electric early on
16. Bittersweetheart - lots of hip shaking, della would have been happy
17. Slowly Rising
18. Stand Up and Be Strong - one of the crew joined them on stage.. not sure who

There was no encore at the show. I think the band kind of wanted to, and the crowd wanted one, but I don't think they were allowed to continue playing...

Phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

philipgar wrote: 5. Black Gold - before this song some girls in the audience were yelling out DAVE oh my god.. and so Dave goes up to the mic and mocks them with an "oh my god.. it's dave"
That is awesome.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:
philipgar wrote: 5. Black Gold - before this song some girls in the audience were yelling out DAVE oh my god.. and so Dave goes up to the mic and mocks them with an "oh my god.. it's dave"
That is awesome.

YEAH!! i had no idea he could hear me from so many states away ;)

mad_soul
Inmate

Post by mad_soul »

philipgar wrote:
12. String of Pearls - before this song dave was having some technical difficulties and the rest of the band starts playing a bit fooling around, and dave makes a joke about playing some Rush and starts singing a verse from Tom Sawyer

Phil
Hahahhaha… Can anyone explain this to me, please??
When we were in Lima, listening to some music, they played Rush in the radio and I told Dave that I liked that band…. And he couldn’t believe it, I think he was a little bit upset, hahahaha… So, I guess he really dislikes Rush, but I don’t know why!!! :!: :?: :?:

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

philipgar wrote:16. Bittersweetheart - lots of hip shaking, della would have been happy
Yes, I definately would have been happy, but I think you actually intended to say Laura, as she's the most vocal about the Bittersweetheart hip shaking (not that I don't also deeply appreciate it, :) )

dells

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

dells wrote:
philipgar wrote:16. Bittersweetheart - lots of hip shaking, della would have been happy
Yes, I definately would have been happy, but I think you actually intended to say Laura, as she's the most vocal about the Bittersweetheart hip shaking (not that I don't also deeply appreciate it, :) )

dells
oops, sorry about that. I tend to gloss over who's gushing about what in the pants thread...

Phil