song

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Laura
Marionette

song

Post by Laura »

Hello everyone:)

Check out 'I Wrote It' by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, from their new album 'Pin Points and Gin Joints', the first few seconds will surely remind you of something... :D funny

And I wish everyone a happy new year!

Laura

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Re: song

Post by spodiba »

Interesting, but nothing unusual. Can't really call it a rip off. Musicians do things like that, and you can't actually say that they heard Cartoon and decided to use it as their intro. I'd say this is pretty common, and especially today, when there are so many melodies and riffs already "invented" and it's unavoidable that two different musicians will create the same intro. And it's not just that, maybe a long time ago they did hear Cartoon, and forgot about it, but the melody stayed buried on a subliminal level and they used it unconsciously later.
OK, enough of my babbling for tonight.
Happy New Year to all and good night, fellas!

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

can somebody point me to where i can listen to a sample of this? i didn't see it available to sample on amazon or grooveshark.
oh nevermind i found it on their myspace page.

hmm pretty similar, but knowing my poor ear for this stuff i bet i woudln't have figured out what that reminded me of if you hadn't mentioned it!
interesting anyways.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I partially heard cartoon in it, but only just barely. Not too much of it in there. These things do happen quite a bit though, and there's no denying that this intro is slightly different than Cartoons. It's like saying the intro to Ice Ice Baby is the same as the intro to Under Pressure.... Wait, bad example. I've heard enough other bands I like who have accidentally ripped off other bands I like, and it's not too big of a deal. I'm sure SA has done the same thing before for a few notes here or there. You hear something you like, forget about it, and reuse it later.

Phil

Laura
Marionette

Post by Laura »

Ok, then I compromise with the idea, that the songwriter of one of my favourite bands heard a song of an other favourite band of mine, and unconsciously or not, but liked it:) But of course it can also be a coincidence.
I have always admired good artists for their ability to write NEW things, after decades of modern music and hundreds of dozens of albums released by all the other bands... But it may not happen always.

Best wishes, L.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

philipgar wrote:I've heard enough other bands I like who have accidentally ripped off other bands I like, and it's not too big of a deal. I'm sure SA has done the same thing before for a few notes here or there. You hear something you like, forget about it, and reuse it later.
It's not just about ripping off... some riffs/chord structures/melody lines are so obvious or simple that it's easy for someone else to come up with it, even if they don't know the song. I sometimes come up with something when I'm working on a song, only to realize later on that it's very similar to a famous song already.