Here we go again with GNR...

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Here we go again with GNR...

Post by AlyssaJones »

As some of you may know, GNR kicked off a month-long string of Canadian shows last night in Manitoba. I dropped by the GNR camp a few hours ago to see what else was going on with them, and found out that they've got a whole bunch of South American shows lined up starting in early March. They seem to be working on a continent-by-continent world tour.

So, what do you think this means for SA? Do you think Dave and Axl will manage to schedule around each other this coming year and we can share our favorite bass player, or will we be back to temporarily replacing our "replacement" Replacement?

It seems to me that anymore with SA it's play-with-Tommy-or-don't-play-at-all, and honestly I hope that's the way it is. I'm just afraid that GNR might take priority and we'll be deprived of SA shows while all the GNR fans (who don't even care about Tommy) get more than their share of Axl and friends. That's not to say I think that Tommy would turn his back on SA, because I don't think he would, but GNR are the bigger dogs in this situation.

I know I'm getting way ahead of the foreseeable future, but it just seems that GNR is on quite a roll. First Asia, then Canada, then South America. What could be next? They still got Europe, Australia, and the United States to do.

I respect Mr. Stinson enough to not harbor any selfish opinions on what he should do, but I can't help expressing how bummed I am about this potential wrench-in-the-works for SA.

Thoughts (preferably optimistic ones) on the subject?

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: Here we go again with GNR...

Post by philipgar »

AlyssaJones wrote:As some of you may know, GNR kicked off a month-long string of Canadian shows last night in Manitoba. I dropped by the GNR camp a few hours ago to see what else was going on with them, and found out that they've got a whole bunch of South American shows lined up starting in early March. They seem to be working on a continent-by-continent world tour.

So, what do you think this means for SA? Do you think Dave and Axl will manage to schedule around each other this coming year and we can share our favorite bass player, or will we be back to temporarily replacing our "replacement" Replacement?

It seems to me that anymore with SA it's play-with-Tommy-or-don't-play-at-all, and honestly I hope that's the way it is. I'm just afraid that GNR might take priority and we'll be deprived of SA shows while all the GNR fans (who don't even care about Tommy) get more than their share of Axl and friends. That's not to say I think that Tommy would turn his back on SA, because I don't think he would, but GNR are the bigger dogs in this situation.

I know I'm getting way ahead of the foreseeable future, but it just seems that GNR is on quite a roll. First Asia, then Canada, then South America. What could be next? They still got Europe, Australia, and the United States to do.

I respect Mr. Stinson enough to not harbor any selfish opinions on what he should do, but I can't help expressing how bummed I am about this potential wrench-in-the-works for SA.

Well, hopefully for the time being, the band is concentrating on recording a new album. Much of that can be done on the side, and doesn't necessarily need Tommy there during the recordings. Or he could come by to do the recordings when he has off.

Of course, considering SA played what... 15 or 16 gigs in all of 2009, I wouldn't expect a GNR schedule too conflict too heavily with SA.

Phil

trudatman
Runaway

Post by trudatman »

what does that "band" have scheduled for late February?
"excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on." "I'm not not licking toads." - H. Jay Simpson

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

philipgar wrote:Well, hopefully for the time being, the band is concentrating on recording a new album. Much of that can be done on the side, and doesn't necessarily need Tommy there during the recordings. Or he could come by to do the recordings when he has off.

Of course, considering SA played what... 15 or 16 gigs in all of 2009, I wouldn't expect a GNR schedule too conflict too heavily with SA.
Whatever, I'm an idiot. Never mind anything I said.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

AlyssaJones wrote:
trudatman wrote:
what does that "band" have scheduled for late February?
hah i just checked the gnr dates you mentioned - sounds like they do NOT conflict w/ 'my' upcoming Feb.27 connecticut show - so i'm hoping tommy will be there.

i bet that means that they're already putting effort into scheduling ... they probably have it all figured out. i'm going to be optimistic with you :)

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

Correct me if im wrong, but hasnt Axl Flipped out and had a temper tantrum durring the last three tours he has attempted? Dosnt he make it three or four shows, and quit?

So Im guessing he will do it again. I highly doubt the whole tour will go off without a hitch. Something will happen.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

philipgar wrote:Of course, considering SA played what... 15 or 16 gigs in all of 2009, I wouldn't expect a GNR schedule too conflict too heavily with SA.
But Benny wrote this some time ago:
There will be several changes forthcoming, and you guys will be the first to know. Just know that the band's online presence will be blown up, more shows in more places will be booked, and more people will know about them - among many other exciting things.
So I'm hoping that the band will get more active for this upcoming album, especially compared to last year.... but also compared to the promotion and shows they did at the time of the Silver Lining.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

triumph3434 wrote:Correct me if im wrong, but hasnt Axl Flipped out and had a temper tantrum durring the last three tours he has attempted? Dosnt he make it three or four shows, and quit?

So Im guessing he will do it again. I highly doubt the whole tour will go off without a hitch. Something will happen.
Yeah, maybe... but they toured quite a bit in 2006 and 2007, before the release of Chinese Democracy, so I wouldn't put my money on it.

mrsromek
Inmate

Post by mrsromek »

Wasn't Tommy bitter about not getting $ or royalties, or whatever, from the recording of GNR's latest album? Well, he sure didn't pause a second when Axl's crew called him up for the upcoming tour dates. Prima donnas...all of them.

I can live with Tommy in SA, as Karl has passed. However, he is the bassist in GNR...Duff is. He's just a hired gun kissing Axl's rear.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread for this, but I saw a little news blurb in the Philadelphia Inquirer about Tommy:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/magazine/81437642.html

"Bassist Tommy Stinson (The Replacements, Guns N Roses) shot the video for his solo effort "They Don't Deserve You" on Friday and Saturday at One Rittenhouse, 19th and Sansom Streets. He wrote it with localite Chip Roberts, whose wife, WMGK personality Debbi Calton, was in a scene with Stinson's girlfriend, singer/songwriter Emily Roberts. Alex Emmert of Invictus Films directed and produced."