Here we go again with GNR...

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Re: Here we go again with GNR...

Post by triumph3434 »

Thats strange, if SA is supposeldy writing new material now, why is tommy busy witha solo album?

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I don't think Tommy is working on a whole new solo album right now; I think he just did the one song/video.

Either way, he seems to be pretty good at multi-tasking :P

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

AlyssaJones wrote: Either way, he seems to be pretty good at multi-tasking :P
that made me laugh :D
but it does seem true!

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

mrsromek wrote:Wasn't Tommy bitter about not getting $ or royalties, or whatever, from the recording of GNR's latest album? Well, he sure didn't pause a second when Axl's crew called him up for the upcoming tour dates. Prima donnas...all of them.

I can live with Tommy in SA, as Karl has passed. However, he is the bassist in GNR...Duff is. He's just a hired gun kissing Axl's rear.
I asked Tommy if he helped finish Chinese Democracy, and he said no. There were many redos on the record so he wasn't credited. However, a friend of mine knew someone working on the record, and they were on retainer for thousands a week while making it, so if that was the deal for all working on the record, they got paid.

If Axl wants to pay his help well, why does it bother you that Tommy gets a paycheck when Duff's not interested? Let Tommy get paid, I say. It doesn't seem to bother Dave that Tommy goes and gets paid.

Bono
Marionette

Post by Bono »

I saw Guns N' Roses on January 16th in Calgary. To be honest the show was pretty damn incredible. I saw them in 2006 as well and it was god awful so I'm not sure what's changed other than DJ Ashba is in and Robin Finck is out, but Axl sounds great, seems to be enjoying himself and there's been no classic Axl rants since they began touring in Asia. They've even been hitting the stage consistently by 10:15 pm. That's good news for Guns N' Roses fans but maybe not so good for Soul Asylum fans. Add to this the two guys on stage who seem to have the most chemistry and the most fun together is Axl and Tommy.

I always thought Tommy looked like he was having way more fun in Soul Asylum untill this current Gn'R tour where now it looks like the entire Gn'R band is having fun. Not to mention they're playing arenas with an amazing stage production. It'd be hard for Tommy to walk away from that. Not to mention the much bigger paycheck I'm sure.

I remember reading an interview in Guitar World with Dave and Dan a few years back(2006 or 2007 I'm not sure) and Dave said that's he's under the impression that Axl has dibs on Tommy.
Never, forever, whatever!

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Many people don't realize that he's been in the band ever since Duff quit... which was 1998, I believe, so that's a long time. I also believe that, apart from Axl obviously, he got more credit than anyone else for playing on songs on Chinese Democracy. Everyone has this impression of Axl and how terrible it must be to play in GnR, but I can't imagine someone being in that band for 12 years and not being content.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

So yeah... SA is playing in Ketchum, ID on March 6, and there's a GNR show in Brazil on March 7. Also SA is supposed to be in Texas on March 27, but that's right in the middle of GNR's South America tour. Potentially Tommy COULD travel between all the shows, but I'm not sure if that's a viable option. I guess we'll see what happens. (That means you're responsible for a show report, Bono :P )

If George McKelvey's back in for awhile I guess that's okay. He's cool, he can play, he's kind of attractive. He's not Tommy Stinson, but then again I guess no one is. :P I just hope he's back on board for the next time I get to see them, whenever that might be.

(I feel weird though, 'cuz god knows I'm the only one obsessing this much over his GNR commitments! Oh well, he'll never know)