2010 April 10th - Cubby Bear, Chicago IL

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: Cubby Bear

Post by philipgar »

Personally, I'm hoping they break out a big star song in tribute to the late great Alex Chilton. Of course, if Tommy isn't playing with them it seems less likely they'd do it.

Phil

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

philipgar wrote:Personally, I'm hoping they break out a big star song in tribute to the late great Alex Chilton. Of course, if Tommy isn't playing with them it seems less likely they'd do it.
That would be awesome if they did. I bet they could do a pretty great version of "In the Street," and I could totally hear Tommy singing "Don't Lie to Me". Maybe they will at the next show Tommy is at. (I apologize to all for ending that last sentence in a preposition.)

I hope everyone going has a great time and if you get to talk to Dave say happy birthday since he's turning 46 next week :-)

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

AlyssaJones wrote: That would be awesome if they did. I bet they could do a pretty great version of "In the Street," and I could totally hear Tommy singing "Don't Lie to Me". Maybe they will at the next show Tommy is at. (I apologize to all for ending that last sentence in a preposition.)
If I could hear them do any Big Star/Alex Chilton song, it would have to be Nighttime. It is one of the greatest songs ever written, and I'd love to hear dave try and sing "get me out of here, I hate it here, get me out of here". I don't know if he could give justice to its haunting melody, but I'd love to see him try.

Phil

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

oh yeah, I could DEFINITELY hear SA doing Nighttime. Maybe they can drag Paul out of his house to play bass for 'em and he can sing it :lol:

It could also be interesting to hear Dave take a stab at "The Letter"

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Maybe this belongs in the other bands thread... but Wilco have been ending their sets this current tour with "Thank You Friends" and "In the Streets".

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

does anyone have any clue how big the cubby bear is, or the odds it will sell out. I was about to suck it up and pay the $4 convenience fee to get a ticket through ticket master (it was only $1 or $2 more than buying them at the door), I go to the page, and it was going to be $19.20, which is highway robbery, but what choice do i have. Anyhow, I was about to click pay when I saw that they wanted an ADDITIONAL $4 service charge for my request. Who can I punch in the face for this crap. I want to risk just getting my ticket at the show, but I'm really so sick of the shit ticket master is trying to pull. Does anyone know of any other way to order tickets for the show, or a way to buy them through ticket master that's cheaper than their website? I know that paying $8 is nothing compared to the cost of traveling out there etc, but jeez, it's over 50% of the ticket price. I really just don't like the idea of getting fleeced like that. Especially that sneaky $4 service charge they wanted to sneak in at the end. if they were up front about it i'd be a little more understanding. Sorry, I just had to rant on ticket master.

Phil

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Happy to join the rant. Ordered my tickets when the concert was posted. Did not pay the print at home price. A week ago got the email... your tickets have been printed and sent... still no tickets...

That said and not wanting to promise anything (last visit to Cubby Bear was the last SA show there). I think Jim said it was 2006. Clearly a lot could have changed. It is a pretty big place and I think they would keep selling tickets (OH no not beyond capacity Mr. Bill!) giggle. Always forget to use the smileys.

Plan for me is too head downtown early (1 or 2 ish) hang out for a bit and maybe hit the original Billy Goat (off lower Wacker) for a snack. Navy Pier then Dali Lamb Museum 4-6 (blocks off Navy Pier) then would like to head to the 96th floor of the Hancock. Sunset at 7:26. Puts me at the Cubby Bear right about 8. Doors open at at 8. Always plan too much, odds are the Hancock will be a skip.

Christian at the Cubby Bear says opening band is Mathien http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhYLFj4V ... re=related wish it was the Westside Winders http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS4dqyW7Gbs

SA comes on at 10:30.

Sure could use a Brand New Shine! Would be happy to hear the entire Horse They (We?) Rode In On.

Me!

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

Soul Asylum covers Bob Marley...really...more info later..Great show..No Tommy

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

oooh a teaser... ok i'll be patient!

scannest
Brand New Shine

Post by scannest »

Mr. Pete Donnelly from the almighty Figgs was playing bass last night. I imagine that Tommy recommended him as a fill-in while he is in South America with Guns'n'Roses. The Figgs were Tommy's backing band for awhile.
Pete is an amazing musician and just about the nicest guy in rock'n'roll.