2010 April 10th - Cubby Bear, Chicago IL

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
zany
Social Butterfly

Re: Cubby Bear

Post by zany »

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I suppose it's time for a review of the show. This was such an awesome show, the band was really just having fun screwing around the whole night. The smiles on Dave and Danny's faces throughout the show tell it all. As has been mentioned, Pete from the Figgs played Bass standing in for Tommy. I was quite impressed with him. He definitely did a great job for what was likely short notice and little time to practice. As always, it was great to see everyone again, we had a really good turnout from the fan club I thought, and a few travelers flying in for it.

Here's more or less the setlist, mostly what was expected:

Somebody To Shove
All Is Well
Misery/Silly Love Songs
Lately
Easy Street
Black Gold
Without a Trace
New World
Just Like Anyone
Oxygen
Cartoon/Gone Till November
Whatcha' Need
String of Pearls
Get Up, Stand Up (Bob Marley cover attempt)
Never Really Been
Runaway Train
Closer To The Stars
Bittersweetheart
Slowly Rising

encore:
I'm Waiting For The Man
Wipeout
Blue Suede shoes
Folsom Prison/Cocaine Blues
Stand Up And Be Strong

note: Sometime to return was also on the setlist, but was replaced by the barrage of covers

There is just so much to say about this show. I know one of the greatest moments was during Whatcha' Need, I think Michael had been giving dave shit about his pants, and during the line "The light came crawling through the cracks", Dave pulls up his pants real obviously. The covers added throughout the show were great. I may have missed one of the ones at the end, can't remember for sure. They just started fooling around, and next thing you know they're playing more and more cover songs. Most of them were just partial versions, although they did almost all of I'm Waiting For The Man. I remember blue suede shoes was danny's idea, and he was just smiling and like "lets do this one!!!" to the rest of the guys.

The crowd was really into the whole show too, it just went really well, and I think everyone there had a blast. I'm sure there are more things i'll remember later and have to post here.

Also, as nicole said, I posted a video of Get up stand up and never really been. I'll also be posting pictures on my facebook account soon.

Phil

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

I agree. This was such a great show! There was something extra energetic about it. Whenever Dave seemed to have issues with his guitar (which started in the first song) he just grabbed the mike and sang with his hand gestures and facial expressions and it was very entertaining to see him free of the guitar for that little bit. The "crack" reference during Whatcha Need was hilarious!

The medley during the encore was great. Rock Me Gently and Hot Child in the City were in there in the beginning of it, as well.

Great energy from the band, great crowd!
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I've also posted pictures up on my facebook page, they should be viewable by everyone: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 653&ref=mf

Phil

4mom
Lone Rider

Post by 4mom »

Yes, great show at Cubby Bear, but sad. I've seen Soul Asylum play about 25 times over the past 20 years. Always a great show...best live band ever. My kids make fun of me for knowing every word to every song & they insist Dave Pirner sounds like a goat...I love their music & love Dave's voice. I've even taken my teenage daughter to an all ages SA show. Okay, but this is the story. Watching Dave up on stage was heartbreaking. He played great, sang great, had great stage presence, was funny, etc., but enough with being drunk. God, he's in his 40's, has a family, has a great career, and he is looking like a complete alcoholic. It's really sad. I left the Cubby Bear with my husband thinking, "Wow, he has the life & he looks like absolute shit." It makes me sad for him. I know, I sound like an old lady and over protective mother, but that is just such a waste. Dave Pirner is such a talent and he seems to be drowning in it all.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

4mom wrote:and he is looking like a complete alcoholic. It's really sad. I left the Cubby Bear with my husband thinking, "Wow, he has the life & he looks like absolute shit."
Do you mean the way he looks appearance wise or the way he acts? I've never met the guy in real life, but from pictures/videos/whatever he always looked like a total slob but I don't mind that (I'm a huge slob myself)... in fact, I find it amusing he hasn't changed at all in that way in the last 25 years.

Thanks for the reviews, people.

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

Hmm...that's too bad that you left the show feeling that way. I, too am a long-time fan and have seen them dozens of times over the last 20 years. I really just thought the show was great, the band was in a great mood and put on an amazing performance.

Remember, when you're at a show, you're only seeing him for 2 hours out of his life. And it's a time to unwind, let loose, enjoy! I'll bet in that crowd was a range of people - mothers, fathers, husbands, wives, students, etc. - people who have their own lives to manage - and this was their time to be out and have some fun.

Dave looked the same as he always does. That's Dave and it works. He rocked the crap out of the Cubby Bear.....
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

The Village Idiot
Marionette

Post by The Village Idiot »

The show at the Cubby Bear Saturday night was probably the best show I have seen in recent years. Sure there were some technical difficulties early on (Dave seemed to handle it well), but sometimes when adversity hits, greatness emerges. To see Dave sing without his guitar slung low was fantastic to watch. It is not that often you get to see him sing with just a mic. The whole energy of the band was high and so was that of the audience. Even though the set list was mostly the same, the few covers they threw in there just put it over the top. How cool was it to see them bust into a bit of Bob Marley, and to see them put together a medley in the encore was incredible!!! Who hasn't been wanting to see that for the longest time? It was outstanding. My ears were left ringing and everyone left with a huge grin, it doesn't get much better.

My opinion of dave looking drunk and sad. Dave looks no different than he has over the 20 years, maybe a bit older. As CUlater replied, we get to see Dave and the band for maybe two hours of there life, usually on a Friday or Saturday night, who doesn't occasionally let loose on the weekends. Now if you see Dave, during his normal life away from the stage and having fun, looking that way your statement may be validated, but until then take his appearance for what it is, A guy in a rock band having fun with his buddies blowing away an audience that has paid to see a great performance. How many of us need a few drinks before we hit the dance floor at a wedding? To say he looks like "shit" or "an alcholic" seems ridiculous.

The band and the show were great and I personally left the show somewhat relieved and just wanting to see more.

I'll be posting some pictures from the show soon....

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

great reviews guys :) thanks for sharing the experience with the rest of us :)
Still no new material though...!!!! maybe i'll move my prediction later on when the new album will come out!

phil thanks for the pics & video. i'm just watching the video again today with respect to the drunk comment - in the beginning of the video dave's just talking and to me he sounds very coherent. i think this is a case of dave just coming across as drunk to some people even when he's not. which is definitely understandable.

anyways i'm sure we all just want him and the other guys to be happy and healthy and from this video and when i saw him in February to me he looked to be both those things so that's cool with me.

The Village Idiot
Marionette

Post by The Village Idiot »

Pictures from the Cubby Bear.
Attachments
IMG_4619.jpg
IMG_4619.jpg (59.48 KiB) Viewed 14174 times
IMG_4607.jpg
IMG_4607.jpg (37.3 KiB) Viewed 14173 times
IMG_4601.jpg
IMG_4601.jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 14176 times