2011 Mar. 12th - Grant Hart Benefit @ First Ave. (Dave solo)

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Moto Geek
Inmate

Re: 2011 Mar. 12th - Grant Hart Benefit @ First Ave. (Dave s

Post by Moto Geek »

Very brief set... guess it was supposed to be 20 minutes. Dave had a little too much intoxicating fun before his scheduled set. :lol: He basically told jokes and was "rescued" by Grant while attempting to play a complete song. Oh well. Ya win some you lose some.
"Standing in the sun with a popsicle - everything is possible!"

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Whoops...sometimes it's hard to shake off that Mardi Gras spirit! :roll:

Update: There's already a video on You Tube - "Dave Pirner/Grant Hart" - "How much is that doggie in the window" - was that the "complete song"?

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

better late wrote:Update: There's already a video on You Tube - "Dave Pirner/Grant Hart" - "How much is that doggie in the window" - was that the "complete song"?
Here's the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq3sA3BvM9o[/youtube]
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Moto Geek
Inmate

Post by Moto Geek »

Well, "How much is that doggie in the window" was the only duet song completed.

Dave ended Grant's set by coming out and performing a cover of Sinead O'Connor's "This is To Mother You " that he dedicated to him. You may recall that Grant lost his mother in February. I guess that was the bright spot of the night. Dave completed that song while the curtain went down.
"Standing in the sun with a popsicle - everything is possible!"

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

As Moto Geek noted, Dave mostly played partial songs. He warned us at the beginning that he didn't have anything prepared and was just winging it. Then he told his artificial plant joke and said, "I think I just used up about 5 minutes. So now I only have 15 minutes to fill." He opened with "Get on Out" and he did a little bit of "Yellow" mixed with "Runaway Train" and then some of "I Got High." At one point he stopped and asked me what I thought he should play and I suggested "Faces and Names." I had really hoped to hear it and I also thought it was a reasonable request because he apparently played it at his last solo show. He waid it was "a good choice" and started to play it, but didn't go beyond the first line. So then I regretted not requesting something more familiar for him.

When Grant joined him, they did "Hava Nagila," "Never Talking to You Again," and "My Generation." Then Dave left and Grant did a song on his own and Dave rejoined him for "How Much is that Doggie in the Window?" (which Grant told us that his mother used to sing).

I agree that the highlight of Dave's "set" was when he sang "This Is to Mother You" for Grant. When Dave got to the last line, he stopped and said "I'd do anything for you, man" and put his guitar down and gave Grant a big hug. Grant had tears in his eyes. He thanked everyone and asked us all to "forgive one person... and then move on and forgive another one." It was quite moving.

The show was not was I was expecting in terms of a Dave solo performance, but it was an interesting night and it obviously meant a lot to Grant.

And I thought the Magnolias were dynamite.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Although maybe not what you expected, sounds like an interesting evening..."unique" , let's say. Thanks for the reviews.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

I thought the The Melismatics and Mister Fister put on really good; albeit, short sets. Curtis A put on a “fun set”; which I enjoyed as well.

Eventually The Magnolias; they were fantastic. So; until Dave came on, the evening was going well. Then Dave’s set; hmmm….

But; the night was about supporting Grant; so all in all, glad I was able to do "my tiny part."

Miss Fitt 2....Incredible job; and I mean incredible job, putting a positive spin on Dave’s set (clapping my hands). Also; if you live in New Orelans and came up for the evening; kudos to you.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Sometime to Return wrote:Miss Fitt 2....Incredible job; and I mean incredible job, putting a positive spin on Dave’s set (clapping my hands).
Can you tell I have a background in PR? :lol:

Seriously, at the risk of sounding like an uber-geek, I’ve been privileged to catch so many outstanding performances by Dave, and he’s enriched my life so much with his music, that he’s got a fair bit of leeway as far as I'm concerned.
Sometime to Return wrote:Also; if you live in New Orelans and came up for the evening; kudos to you.
I actually traveled from upstate New York (my primary residence) en route to New Orleans (which I get to about once a month). I had already planned to be in NOLA this week, so when they announced the benefit for Grant, I added a "slight" detour to my trip and spent Saturday in Minneapolis. I've been a fan of Grant's music for years, and the combination of being there to support him while also catching a Dave solo show made the trip an easy decision for me. Of course, as I noted, the Dave portion of the evening didn't turn out quite like I expected, but I'm still glad I was there.

If I'd have known you were at the show, I'd have introduced myself. Maybe next time.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I've removed several posts from this thread that were off-topic at best and inflammatory at worst. Those looking for the photo links posted by black manta can find them here:

http://www.citypages.com/slideshow/gran ... -32783327/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59759635@N ... 258565492/
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com