Eyes of A Child

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
I Love Dim Light
Inmate

Re: Eyes of A Child

Post by I Love Dim Light »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote: Hmm... I always sort of saw the first two verses as being about people making the best of difficult circumstances. You make a good argument for it being a darker song, though, if you see the single mom and divorced dad as having wasted lives, presumably because they're both just barely keeping their heads above water. Gives me a new take on the song. Thanks.
Making the best of difficult circumstances?
An addict slut brought 13 criminals to this world, they live in shit and it seems like she's pregnant again.
A man made children and have to live a miserable life to support them.
A child nobody cares about.
Don't you all remember the times when people of high morals claimed to make abortions forbidden by the law and were killing the doctors?
( sorry for mistakes)

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

I Love Dim Light wrote:Making the best of difficult circumstances?
An addict slut brought 13 criminals to this world, they live in shit and it seems like she's pregnant again.
A man made children and have to live a miserable life to support them.
A child nobody cares about.
Don't you all remember the times when people of high morals claimed to make abortions forbidden by the law and were killing the doctors?
( sorry for mistakes)
What words/phrases or line(s) of the song tell you that she's an addict slut, that her kids are criminals or that she "seems like she's pregnant again"?

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

I Love Dim Light
Inmate

Post by I Love Dim Light »

OK, about " she's pregnant again " i may be wrong, i believed these were other words ( instead of " how good it felt" )
" 3 uppers 10 downers " - the woman does drugs
" she dont know which children belong to which father " - doesn't it mean that she don't know who their fathers are?
" each one had 13 problems " - they are " difficult " children.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

I Love Dim Light wrote:OK, about " she's pregnant again " i may be wrong, i believed these were other words ( instead of " how good it felt" )
" 3 uppers 10 downers " - the woman does drugs
" she dont know which children belong to which father " - doesn't it mean that she don't know who their fathers are?
" each one had 13 problems " - they are " difficult " children.
Ok, I see. So that's what '3 uppers 10 downers' means. I always wondered. In that case, fact, the woman does drugs. Yeah, she could be an addict.

Fact. She doesn't know who the fathers are. How does that make her a slut and by 'slut', are you calling her a bitch, or do you mean she's a prostitute by profession? Makes a big difference which one you mean.

If a prostitute, then yes, she might be one. If a bitch, you have no conclusive evidence she is. Instead, there's evidence to the contrary, in particular, "But she loves them all anyway and they each get a kiss" and "But she saw the world through the eyes of a child".

I dunno about you, but every bitch I've encountered have never been able to see the world through innocent eyes or love each children equally without yelling her heads off at them or abusing them or anyone near her whether physically, verbally, or sexually. If you have evidence to the contrary, do share. I'd like to know.

Fact. They do have problems and yes, they are "difficult" children. But, that doesn't automatically mean they're criminals. They might be, they might not. Some may be. Some might not.

So the darkness fades

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

hmmm slut has a different definition to different people, i've never heard that slut=bitch before. and to me slut = prostitute is not a common use of the word (but i'm sure it's used differently by everybody)
my definition is: somebody that sleeps with a lot (which is a relative term) of people.
if the character doesn't know who the fathers are, it doesn't definitely make her a slut, but doesn't rule it out. could just be 2 guys she's slept with in her life. 2 is enough for uncertainty but not enough for slut-hood. anyways, i guess it's a random point to make :)

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Hm, I always thought that "three uppers, ten downers" referred to the children seeing as in the line before that it is mentioned that she has thirteen kids, and the next line is also about the kids.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Analyzing Eyes Of A Child sounds fun. Can I give it a go, then?

She had thirteen kids, each one had thirteen problems
~ she is facing infinite problems with her children. Doesn't this analogy sound like Jesus' "seventy times seven"?
Three uppers, ten downers just to put up with this
~ not necessarily an addict. Three uppers sounds like meds to keep up with her illnesses due to stress. Ten downers might mean liquor to drown her sorrows.
And she don't know which children belong to which father
~ She was careless with her relationships - she was easily swayed by men. It doesn't really mean she is or was a prostitute. It could have been that she had so many relationships (more than one could be "too much"). None of his men stayed with her; she's a single mom now.
But she loves them all anyway and they each get a kiss
~ no matter how her problems seem big, she still wants her family intact and would not give them up/separate with them.

And the toilet ain't flushing and the toaster is smoking
The vacuum don't suck but it needs a new belt
~ financial problems? Trivial problems seems to pile up. She is a simple woman.
But she saw the world through the eyes of a child
And remembers how good it was, and how good it felt
~ It could mean that she saw the world through the eyes of her children, and that she could bear all these problems as long as they are happy and carefree (like her when she was young).

-----------
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Closer and lune ellise, both of what you said makes sense. Like I said, I always wondered what 'three uppers ten downers' meant. I jumped the gun and assumed what Dim Light said was true because I have no way of verifying otherwise. My mistake.

Anyway, my long-winded explanation was supposed to be me trying to point out that making a weak statement like she's an 'addict slut' with '13 criminals' as kids is baseless. One can show, as you two just have, that other possibilities exist and there's evidence for them.

So the darkness fades

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

sayeeda wrote:Anyway, my long-winded explanation was supposed to be me trying to point out that making a weak statement like she's an 'addict slut' with '13 criminals' as kids is baseless. One can show, as you two just have, that other possibilities exist and there's evidence for them.
Oh yes, that's the beauty of Dave's epic songs, like this one! There's some mystery and even hidden meanings in these songs that only we ETSA inmates are insane enough to uncover them...

Hey, if we are finished here, we might move on to Nice Guys (Don't Get Paid)! :geek: :geek: :geek:
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

sayeeda wrote:Closer and lune ellise, both of what you said makes sense. Like I said, I always wondered what 'three uppers ten downers' meant. I jumped the gun and assumed what Dim Light said was true because I have no way of verifying otherwise. My mistake.
Oh no, that was always my interpretation when I listened to it but maybe I'm completely wrong about it. But that's what is great about songs... everyone can have a different interpretation and that's ok.