CHECK IT OUT AWESOME NEW INTERVIEW WITH DAVE PIRNER FROM FRI

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Re: CHECK IT OUT AWESOME NEW INTERVIEW WITH DAVE PIRNER FROM

Post by OneLovedBand »

I've seen Soul Asylum over 60 times & their live shows are awesome in my opinion. The fact they are still able to hold my attention after that many times I think says a lot for the quality of their live performances. Soul Asylum is not the only band I've seen many times who forgets lyrics from time to time. It happens. Could happen from nerves, momentary distraction etc. Doesn't mean it's laziness or a half-hearted attitude. Will never forget that piano recital I was in as a kid where I knew the song so well, I had it memorzied & played it a lot for pure fun. Got nervous during the recital & looked at the music, got lost & messed the whole thing up. Wasn't because I didn't know it or didn't care. Just looked at the wrong place in the music & got confused. My fingers & my eyes were in two different places. I understand the frustration one can feel when one feels like a band doesn't care, it happened once to me at a live show with an artist who will remain unamed, but I don't think that's the case with Soul Asylum. I think the guys are pretty hard on themselves, too hard in my opinion.

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

I'm pretty sure all musicians forget lyrics and mess up at least sometimes during live shows. I don't think it's a big deal, going to see a rock and roll show isn't supposed to be about being flawless, it's supposed to be about the energy and the moment. At least to me.

rthrbtrvln
Inmate

Post by rthrbtrvln »

nikkip wrote:I'm pretty sure all musicians forget lyrics and mess up at least sometimes during live shows. I don't think it's a big deal, going to see a rock and roll show isn't supposed to be about being flawless, it's supposed to be about the energy and the moment. At least to me.
it is absolutely about the moment! otherwise buy a studio album, right?