Radio.com article - Single Again: Misery (Dave Interview)

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Re: Radio.com article - Single Again: Misery (Dave Interview

Post by OneLovedBand »

"Let Your Dim Light Shine" is probably tied with "Horse" as my favorite Soul Asylum record. I'm not sure which outtakes are "rejects" from LYDLS. I have some CD singles from LYDLS with outtakes on them and "Painkiller" is one of them. I loved that song from the first time I heard it. I'll have to go back and listen to the CD singles again. I think I'm forgetting which outtake is on which single.

There isn't a song on LYDLS that I don't like, which is pretty unusual for me, especially since I was new to SA at the time. For me to love an unfamiliar record from an unfamiliar band, in it's entierty, right away, pretty much never happens. It was the record I needed to hear at the time.

I'm guessing I probably would have liked the songs that didn't make it too. I have pretty broad taste in music.

So cool that you got a mention Jim. : )

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I didn't hear "Painkiller" until I bought the Shuffle This compilation cd, but once I did liked "Painkiller" very much, especially "I can't let them know I don't know what I'm doing." I know I've felt that way before!

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

The Japanese Promises Broken CD single had tracks on it that were likely LYDLS outtakes:
Fearless Leader
You'll Live For Now
Painkiller
Gone Forgotten
Motell Notell

Of those,
Motell Notell appeared on a benefit compilation CD (Honor The Earth, perhaps?, I can't remember for sure)

Fearless Leader also saw the light of day on at least 1 or more other Soul Asylum commercially released CDs(singles or other), after LYDLS. I know it was a hidden bonus track at the end of an album, but can't remember which one, possibly The Silver Lining?. And I think it showed up as one of the extra tracks on another CD single and/or compilation CD as well, but again, I can't remember which for sure. All of my physical CDs are in storage, so I can't look up the info, but it's appearances are probably listed in the site's discocgraphy section.

I thought that Gone Forgotten might have also appeared elsewhere as well, but it's discography listing doesn't mention it appearing anywhere else.

I absolutely love Painkiller, and also really like Gone Forgotten. It's a shame that those 2 really fun songs didn't get more attention by way of a more accessible CD released here in the States, so that more than just the seriously obsessed fans could have discovered and enjoyed them.

dells
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Motel Notell was on the Honor the Earth benefit. Fearless Leader made it onto a Silver Lining bonus track. Fearless Leader and You'll Live for Now are on the Misery cd single. I can't remember where Gone Forgotten is from. I think I have it on a cassette mix, but I don't see it on my Itunes library.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:. I can't remember where Gone Forgotten is from. I think I have it on a cassette mix, but I don't see it on my Itunes library.
http://enterthesoulasylum.com/discograp ... ses_broken