Doom Magazine Interview

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
zany
Social Butterfly

Doom Magazine Interview

Post by zany »

http://doom-magazine.net/mranathema/201 ... oul-asylum

SA facebook page posted this article -anybody read it?

i'm just listening now to the 2 bands dave mentioned in the interview (cage the elephant and Need to Breathe). anybody into either? need to breath was not my cup of tea. cage the elephant so far sound awesome to me. ...ooooh they're this band. duh i've heard them before but didn't remember the name. hmm i kinda like the songs i hadn't heard much more than the ones i have.

also i really liked the photos in the article!

lampros
Caged Rat

Re: Doom Magazine Interview

Post by lampros »

I liked more the ''need to breathe'' guys. I agree with you abouth the photos. All were excellent!!! The interview was good too. Except for not mentioning anything for the new album.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

lampros wrote:The interview was good too. Except for not mentioning anything for the new album.
I enjoyed it too; funny No Fun Intended was brought up and all of that "EP" should have already been released (it was supposed to be in 3 songs 4 months apart). Its been since July 16th of last year (see front page) since that came out.

As any SA fan knows release date guesses are just as good as SA's. ;)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

Dave has been mentioning Cage the Elephant regularly in interviews for quite some time. I casually like them but don't have any albums or anything. I may have to look more into their other songs. I don't think I know anything by Need To Breathe but I'll have to check them out. Will he interesting to see if fans agree with Dave's choices for rock bands. I've often wondered what other bands fans on this site were into but didn't want to start an off topic discussion.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Nice interview, thanks for posting. Not all of us on the fb.

I wonder what show Dave referred to at the end, the show where everything went wrong. Was anything like that referenced here in the show reviews? Kinda sounds like he is talking about something very recent, but I kinda picture some of the shows just after the release of Delayed Reaction as their most trying shows.

I don't know about those bands but their names alone don't make me want to check them out. As for other bands of the up-and-coming variety I am very much into the Spring Standards and Lucius. The stuff they've released so far will stay with me for a long time.

Trapper Schoepp I have mentioned here before and again I will say that his album Run, Engine, Run is amazing.

Not quite yet at the level of those bands above in my listening hierarchy, I saw Madison King open for the Old 97s last week. Bought her CD too, and have listened to it a few times.

He's not "up-and-coming" but he hasn't broken big and only kinda recently came onto my radar, but I am also very much into Joseph Arthur. I'll be listening to his stuff in 20 years for sure. His Boogie Christ album is the best thing I've heard by anyone in the last decade so.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

nikkip wrote:Dave has been mentioning Cage the Elephant regularly in interviews for quite some time. I casually like them but don't have any albums or anything. I may have to look more into their other songs. I don't think I know anything by Need To Breathe but I'll have to check them out. Will he interesting to see if fans agree with Dave's choices for rock bands. I've often wondered what other bands fans on this site were into but didn't want to start an off topic discussion.

there's a whole 'off topic' forum feel free to start off topic stuff there : )

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

Cage the Elephant has had some songs that seemed to get a good bit of radio play. Especially this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYup3Qwh8Q

Yaz McBoo wrote:
He's not "up-and-coming" but he hasn't broken big and only kinda recently came onto my radar, but I am also very much into Joseph Arthur. I'll be listening to his stuff in 20 years for sure. His Boogie Christ album is the best thing I've heard by anyone in the last decade so.
Wow that's a pretty glowing recommendation! I can't say I have ever heard of him that I can think of but I'll give him a listen. I'll check out your other suggestions too.

zany wrote:

there's a whole 'off topic' forum feel free to start off topic stuff there : )
I've thought of posting there but it seems like such a rarely used part of the forum. Probably because everyone who posts here is too busy talking about SA to venture off-topic :)

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Regarding a show that went wrong, I heard that one of the 2012 First Avenue shows around the Delayed Reaction release had some issues.

lampros
Caged Rat

Post by lampros »

The Spring Standards, Lucius and Trapper Schoepp (& the Shades) sound interesting!

Dave mentioned ''Need to breathe''. After some internet digging they are a band with special connection to gospel music.
I would not expect a band like this to be an influence or a music listening for David Pirner. Did you?

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:Regarding a show that went wrong, I heard that one of the 2012 First Avenue shows around the Delayed Reaction release had some issues.
That was the show I thought he might have been referring to too. I was there and there were at least 3 or 4 things that went wrong (at least that the I could see).

Despite the problems I thought the show was great; the 7th Street Entry show the day before was super awesome though... considering it was first time they played there in years and one of Dan's last shows.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com