His Holeyness

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Re: His Holeyness

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Great stuff, everyone -- and yes, it all counts.

Another great onstage Daveism (to me) is the expression he gets on his face just before he tells one of his awful jokes. The more pleased with himself he looks before he speaks, the worse the joke is going to be. It's a very handy tell for tipping off non-fan friends. ;)

This clip is just an individual performance that cracks me up, from Dave speaking "Italian" at the very beginning then singsonging "I don't know what to do" through the bratty behavior at the 2:17 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMzWRbgjheQ

Keep 'em coming if you've got 'em! This is fun. :D
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Hey, Dave has the Spaghettios t-shirt. I blame that for my excessive consumption of Spaghettios since age 15. Well, that and laziness in the kitchen. :)

I miss the crazy dancing from when the guys would perform Candy from a Stranger. One time Dave tried to jump rope with the microphone cord. Once they didn't have a keyboard player, Dave had to do keyboards and we didn't get any crazy dancing. I don't know how many people on the current board got to see SA perform "Uber Computer" but here is what I wrote to describe the first performance I saw of that song and Dave's dance movies: stiff robot like moves, in the fashion of Madonna’s gestures in the video to “Vogue”. I also like the "lounge lizard" personality during performances of "Cruel Intentions."

danger girl
Stranger

Post by danger girl »

dells wrote:
I'm actually kinda surprised that no one's mentioned the special moment in Black Gold where Dave and Dan both play on their knees facing each other. Such a personal moment between two guitar gods and, of course, they're quick to dispel any "sentimental mushiness" by giving each other the occassional shove at other points in the show.

dells
That's one of my favorites, too. I meant to get a picture of it when they did it a few weeks ago at DTE, but I got so into watching it, I forgot to take a picture.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

dells wrote: Awe..... Thanks Jim!!!! I am very humbled and honored that my desperate quest (so unbelievable that apparently there isn't a single vid currently existing on YouTube that shows such a historically common part of Dave's stage personality) to find a video record of Dave's "spasm thingy" not only inspired you to break down and give in to posting here with us in the raciest thread on the site, but you even went out of your way to put together a compilation of several vibrating moments :D. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

dells
Anytime; glad you enjoyed it.
sayeeda wrote:
Monolith Maniac wrote:
(I still can't believe I've been following this whole thread... :roll:)
Weeeellll, as a forum moderator, 'course you would. :P

But don't mind too much though. Your efforts are definitely appreciated.
Thanks; no, I don't mind at all. ;)

(So much for my last post in this thread I said I might make.)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:... and even Jim (if you dare :P ), it's time for you to 'fess up. What are your favorite "onstage Daveisms" (to borrow Dells' phrase)?
Monolith Maniac wrote:(So much for the last post in the thread I said I might make.)
Okay, Jim, now that you're in here anyway, do you dare to share one of your favorites with us? ;)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Very nice, thanks! But perhaps it should have been shared in the Photo thread, so that those who are scared to peek at the Holeyness thread could enjoy it too?

Oh, nevermind, I just saw that it's in a thread specifically about the event

dells

P.S. I hope to reinject some lust into this thread with new holey pics from Fargo. :) I never take my sweet digital camera into indoor venues, but my new Blackberry takes very nice pics if I can hold it steady enough to be sharp focus. I'm sorry, but I seriously doubt if I can force myself to remain still long enough to shoot any video. I think shooting good video takes too much away from enjoying of the moment. and I prefer to enjoy my moments as much as possible. We'll see..., maybe during a very breif rest period while I'm sitting in my chair

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

dells wrote:
Very nice, thanks! But perhaps it should have been shared in the Photo thread, so that those who are scared to peek at the Holeyness thread could enjoy it too?

Oh, nevermind, I just saw that it's in a thread specifically about the event

dells

P.S. I hope to reinject some lust into this thread with new holey pics from Fargo. :) I never take my sweet digital camera into indoor venues, but my new Blackberry takes very nice pics if I can hold it steady enough to be sharp focus. I'm sorry, but I seriously doubt if I can force myself to remain still long enough to shoot any video. I think shooting good video takes too much away from enjoying of the moment. and I prefer to enjoy my moments as much as possible. We'll see..., maybe during a very breif rest period while I'm sitting in my chair
Taking video at shows is all about delayed gratification. I like to do it when i can, because I like to be able to see them later, but more importantly, I like to give back to the community. I generally limit myself to only a few at a show because it does remove some of the fun of being there, but also it gets painful trying to hold your hand still long enough, and if you're not in the front row, its annoying trying to avoid people's heads. Still, I think it's worth taking an occasional video, especially if they're playing an uncommon song.

Phil

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

philipgar wrote:Taking video at shows is all about delayed gratification. I like to do it when i can, because I like to be able to see them later, but more importantly, I like to give back to the community. I generally limit myself to only a few at a show because it does remove some of the fun of being there, but also it gets painful trying to hold your hand still long enough, and if you're not in the front row, its annoying trying to avoid people's heads. Still, I think it's worth taking an occasional video, especially if they're playing an uncommon song.

Phil
I do totally agree with you, Phil, and I would love to have video to relive a show I attended, not to mention sharing with the class, but I just don't know if I'll be able to force myself to not be moving to the music. It just gets into my blood and moving in time to the music is inevitable for me, I also must sing along, and Lord knows that would be unwelcome on a video.

I also have never tried posting any videos to YouTube before, so I don't even know if my Blackberry's video will work for that, or if the quality would even be worth it. Or the view from my vantage point, for that matter... The person I spoke to at "The Venue" said they'd make a place for me up front, but she also said "off to the side", so who knows....

Has anyone posted Blackberry videos to YouTube before? Is it easy? Any conversion needed?
dells

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

I'm also much more into instant gratification :D, rather than practicing restraint.

Hmmm, that remark is getting dangerously close to splashing back into the gutter.... ;) Someone chain me to the wall, QUICK!

dells