His Holeyness

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Re: His Holeyness

Post by dells »

dells wrote: I also have never tried posting any videos to YouTube before, so I don't even know if my Blackberry's video will work for that, or if the quality would even be worth it. Or the view from my vantage point, for that matter... The person I spoke to at "The Venue" said they'd make a place for me up front, but she also said "off to the side", so who knows....

Has anyone posted Blackberry videos to YouTube before? Is it easy? Any conversion needed?
dells
Being a faithful servant of the "Sisterhood" and the entire SA fandom, I have broken down and signed up on YouTube and did a test video with my Blackberry, as preperation and research for the Fargo show, and the video quality from the Blackberry is completely useless, so that option is out. I am, however, uploading the videos I took at the 9-24-2005 Nye's show with my Olympus camera, and although the quality is poor for video, it's still worth trying to share, for those that can ignore the poor quality and horrible cinimatography.

I mostly shot these videos as an experiment, and was more concerned with enjoying the show by watching the actual show rather than keeping an eye on the LCD screen of the camera, not to mention that I was uncomfortable with feeling like a paparatzzi while shooting the first video, so after shooting the first one, I just let the camera hang on it's cord from my neck, aimed at the stage, and tried to not move too much. I did check it's aim occassionally, but I'm afraid that the composition does end up showing a lot of the stage roof, but even those crappy shots still usually have Dave from the waist up, so are not a total waste.

Here is the first one, Teach Me To Breath:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSwrIQlZ_ho

This was another "Dave Pirner & The Volunteers" show, so all my vids are of Dave's solo stuff, and I ran out of memory card space just before Dan arrived, so unfortunately I didn't get to shoot the historic performance of Artificial Heart. :(

I did, however, get Dave's cover of In The Ghetto, and Cruel Intentions without Dave being stuck at a keyboard (Although I love piano playing Dave for this song too, in this one he's more "campy" rather than lounge lizzard piano playing crooner) I also got Dave's covers of It's Raining So Hard, and Iko Iko.

I just made a new thread for these vids & their discussion, and the links for all 9 vids are in it:
http://www.enterthesoulasylum.com/forum ... ?f=2&t=794

dells

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

O.K. Ladies, time to stir the pot with another awesome video clip capturing Dave at the hight of Soul Asylum's media explosion in the early 90s. Plenty sexyness to swoon over in this vid, sisters. The cameraman was kind and there's a lot of closeups of Dave's expressions. I just wish that he'd have used a full body or full stage composition during my favorite Davism around 3 min in, the "full-body vibration/spasm thingy happened, it just wasn't filmed in it's entirety.

You might have already seen that I posted this in it's own thread so those too wary to venture into Holeyness could also see it (and, it simply deserves it's own thread :D)

This is the 1993 SNL performances of Somebody to Shove and Black Gold. This is my own video capture, from my own VHS taping of it, but this is the performance that Phil made that clip from, of the vibration/spasm thingy I'd been hunting all over YouTube for.

1993 SNL performances of Somebody to Shove and Black Gold:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSBiYTchf6c

I feel kinda silly now that I had it on my tower PC all this time, but it wasn't available because the PC wasn't set up for use until recently when the fan went out on my laptop and I had to bring the tiower out of retirement for a while.

Enjoy it as much as you can until it gets yanked from YouTube...

dells
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Thanks Dells,

Fun seeing those videos... brings back many memories!

Meg

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

yyuuup it brings me right back to the beginnings of my dave crush !! :oops:

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

dells wrote:this is the performance that Phil made that clip from
Jim was the one who made the clip for you.

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

AlyssaJones wrote:
You're absolutely right. Thanks for correcting me. I'm sorry, Jim, I certainly didn't intend to slight you (I was barely concious when I wrote that post, and obviously wasn't thinking clearly!)

dells
dells

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

dells wrote:
AlyssaJones wrote:
You're absolutely right. Thanks for correcting me. I'm sorry, Jim, I certainly didn't intend to slight you (I was barely concious when I wrote that post, and obviously wasn't thinking clearly!)

dells
Slighting Jim.. how about my feelings in all this???

Phil

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

philipgar wrote:
dells wrote:
AlyssaJones wrote:

dells
Slighting Jim.. how about my feelings in all this???

Phil
Well? Phil?

Considering Jim made the clip, why what about your feelings in all this?

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

philipgar wrote:Slighting Jim.. how about my feelings in all this???

Phil
Phil, I'm Sorry to have dragged you back into Holeyness by accidentally crediting you with generously making the "Dave vibration/spasm thingy" clip for me, only to almost immediately have that credit yanked right back and given to the correct person. ;P

But dontcha feel just a lil bit happy that yours was the name that floated to the surface of my sleepy thoughts when thinking fondly about the kind person who went out of their way to compile that clip? (Not intending to slight Jim again and point out my epic failure at not remembering atm that it was Jim who made it, as he's every bit as kind and generous as Phil is. We're so fortunate to have both of them as SA fans, as they both share much of the responsiblity for establishing and growing the online Soul Asylum fan community, along with Jacob here and Courtney from the original Yahoo group, of course. I probably slipped up simply because I've known Phil much longer)

Now that we've filled up almost an entire page of drivilling on about an absent-minded slip of the keyboard, can we navigate this thread back to His Holeyness, the super sexy Mr. Dave Pirner? Uploading this vid and then watching it several times, along with happily rewatching many of the more recent clips has caused my SA withdrawals to shift back into Hyper-drive, and I'm depressed that I wont be able to go to the SF, SD show :(

Dells
dells

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

dells wrote:can we navigate this thread back to His Holeyness, the super sexy Mr. Dave Pirner?
Dells
All right, if you insist. ;) Here's a timely consolation for the Sisters after Jakob's prank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODD17l2uteg

This link was posted in this thread ages ago and the Sisters have all probably seen it many, many times, but it seemed appropriate to watch it again today. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)