Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Soul Asylum 09??

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
GraveDancer
Runaway

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Soul Asylum 09??

Post by GraveDancer »

I was reading an article today on The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. This year Metallica & Run DMC will be inducted... as will the Stooges.
I then found a website called http://www.FutureRockHall.com
and discovered that SOUL ASYLUM will be eligible for the 2009 class.

I've been to HOF and it's a pretty cool place. Im not sure I agree w/ everything it stands for..but I would like to see SA get in. Do you think they will? How would you feel if they were inducted or passed over?

These are a few other bands/artists eligible for the class of 09

A-Ha, Bronski Beat, The Cult, David Sylvian, Dead Can Dance, Dennis DeYoung, The Fat Boys, Honeymoon Suite, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Julian Lennon, Nick Cave, Pet Shop Boys, Peter Wolf, The Pogues, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sade, Sheila E., Spinal Tap, Steve Morse, Steve Perry, Steve Vai, Stryper, Warlock, White Lion, Whitney Houston, Yngwie Malmsteen, ...

Homesick
Warden

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Soul Asylum 09??

Post by Homesick »

It would be great to see them in there, but I don't know if their chances are all that good. There's an older thread on here that provides quite a few opinions on the matter.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

samtheslug
Runaway

Post by samtheslug »

I highly doubt there get inducted - I mean, no offence to the fans. There one-hit wonders, everyone rembers the song not the band :(.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

samtheslug wrote:I highly doubt there get inducted - I mean, no offence to the fans. There one-hit wonders, everyone rembers the song not the band :(.
from rock and rolls perspective I think their one hit wonder status will slowly fade away. They are, a classic band, and some of their 80s material is considered highly influential. Saddly, their later output won't get much respect due to popularity, but that's okay with me. From the "hipster" community, Soul Asylum was always in the Replacements shadows, and then they broke through where the 'mats couldn't (not without trying). The 'mats broke up, and SA stuck it out, releasing some more great albums, but they were no longer unique or the "influential" sound they once were. Few bands can keep up that reputation for long, it just doesn't happen. Few bands that are considered "cult classics" (big star, the mats, etc) could later go on to stardom. In fact, if they had, that would ruin the mystique around the band.

Anyhow, the more I hear about the R&RHoF in recent years, the more it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Originally it started out honoring some of rocks greats, but in recent years it's really gotten way off. I mean, Madonna . .. rock and roll? Then they've been adding hip hop like grandmaster flash. Then you see this years nominees, and go WTF? I'll give you jeff Beck, the stooges, and I guess metallica as belonging, but really... It's jut a poor selection, especially when there are other more deserving artists out there. It's way too commercial, and album sales mean more than influence in many cases.

Phil

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

I agree with Phil - Soul Asylum (pre-Runaway Train) was considered one of the influential alternative rock bands, along with 'Mats and Husker Du, although the band were overshadowed by the two. I suggest you listen to Made To Be Broken - which contains songs that are "pure" Soul Asylum.

Hang Time and And The Horse They Rode In On are more commercial releases - but in my opinion they are great albums. As for influence ... Not so sure because Hang Time is a pure rock album (predates grunge?) and Horse contains songs that are pure alternative.

90s Soul Asylum became commercial all throughout along with other alternative/indie bands. They sounded so different, too.

With this exposition, I will now answer the ultimate question: does SA deserve to be in the HofF?

NO - SA beside Madonna and a band that some of you may know that I hate will be so disastrous I would jump out of the window. Frankly, the only thing that interests me in HofF is the building...

Oh yeah, I think SA is a one-hit wonder, from indie heroes to rock superstars to hasbeens to comeback band - all because of one song. But as oppose to other bands, they never did sucked and they don't suck now.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

I think it depends on the judges if SA get in. They've inducted less popular bands a few times.

I agree with Phil on the credibility factor of the institution itself, but it's still a cool idea. It's just they should have maybe created a pop category for the inductees.

Even if they are invited, it will also depend on Dave's attitude towards the institution as to whether the band would accept or show up.

GraveDancer
Runaway

Post by GraveDancer »

If I remember correctly Dave Pirner was at the ground breaking ceremony for the RRHOF. I recall a photo of him w/ a construction helmet and shovel along side of bruce springsteen and some other folks as they broke ground for the museum.

I really liked how Johnny Rotten and the pisols handled the hof.
I wouldnt have expected anything less from them.
However, for some reason, Id really like to see SA recognized for their hard work over the years.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Just a comment....I'm a little taken aback by the term "pure" soul asylum, as though the rest of it were in some way tainted, or contaminated.
With the exception of one record that I shall not name, so as not to inflame anyone who likes it, and no I am not talking about GDU, that in my personal opinion was never intended to have anything to do with who they were or their music as an entity, and was instead intended for purposes entirely other, I don't think it can ever be said that they lost any of their musical integrity or that the soul of their music was ever diluted. Learning how to arrange a song, becoming increasingly proficient at songwriting, gaining experience and skill at their instruments and singing, and growing more agile with regard to the recording process = progression. It does not equal dilution.

Neither does success.

I think that was a really interesting little phrase...pure soul asylum.

And to remain somewhat on topic, no I doubt they'd find their way to the rock n roll hall of fame.
I don't think they were flavor of the month long enough for that.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

sheryl
I don't think it can ever be said that they lost any of their musical integrity or that the soul of their music was ever diluted. Learning how to arrange a song, becoming increasingly proficient at songwriting, gaining experience and skill at their instruments and singing, and growing more agile with regard to the recording process = progression. It does not equal dilution.

Neither does success.
Well written; I couldn't agree more.

Although I agree the HOF has been diluted (Madonna is in, Kiss isn't?, come on); I think a mid 40's Dan/ Dave et all; will have a different answer than a mid 20's Dan/ Dave et all...
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

sheryl wrote:Just a comment....I'm a little taken aback by the term "pure" soul asylum, as though the rest of it were in some way tainted, or contaminated.
You know what - when I was reading your post I was wondering who you are referring to. I just realized it was me :lol: I think this is the effect of sleep deprivation...

Anyway, I do agree with your sentiments. I guess at that time, I used the "pure Soul Asylum" phrase because I was overly exposed to older fans who snubbed the band when they changed their music style. I never meant to use the phrase in the negative way - for instance I rather think that SA has gone better as they matured; it's just that in this circumstance, "pure Soul Asylum" would be an appropriate phrase to use as a distinction from their early works to their later ones. I do think that their later works are heavily influenced by other artists, while in their earlier records (except Say What You Will...) they created their own style of music.
sheryl wrote:With the exception of one record that I shall not name, so as not to inflame anyone who likes it, and no I am not talking about GDU, that in my personal opinion was never intended to have anything to do with who they were or their music as an entity, and was instead intended for purposes entirely other...
I know what record you are referring - and yes I do like the album. However, I wouldn't be insulted even if you did mention it though. I understand how you could not like the record - it took me a while to get used to it. However I do not agree that it was made out of spite (being forced by the label or some other non-musical reason). There was maturity in the album, and the band aimed for something less noisy in contrast to the trend at that time, which I think is a risk in an artistic sense. I think that, musically, CFAS was a necessary step for the band, and for the band's fans as well.
GraveDancer wrote:If I remember correctly Dave Pirner was at the ground breaking ceremony for the RRHOF. I recall a photo of him w/ a construction helmet and shovel along side of bruce springsteen and some other folks as they broke ground for the museum.
He was!?!? :o Now I'm jealous of him!!! I would give everything to witness the building of that amazing architecture...
Sometime to Return wrote:Although I agree the HOF has been diluted (Madonna is in, Kiss isn't?, come on)
Yep - Kiss was not inducted, surprisingly... I think they should just take down the "Rock and Roll" in HOF.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum