Demo VS Official Release

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Demo VS Official Release

Post by lune ellise »

I just listened to the Oxygen demo, and I am so undecided whether which one I like better: the demo version or the one in the album?

So, my big question for you all is: is there an SA demo that you liked better than the official release?

PS, I think the Oxygen demo is more pop than rock. Normally I would go with rock music than pop, but sometimes the part in me who likes Savage Garden and 5ive just want to listen songs that everyone else can listen to. BTW, who digs the "radio voice" at the near end part of the demo? ;)
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

GraveDancer
Runaway

Re: Demo VS Official Release

Post by GraveDancer »

Me too. Actually I go back & forth. The Demo of Oxygen is really good tho.
Im still scratching my head and trying to figure out why SHOWTIME is an out-take. Im not sure where Freak Accident is from - but that is an incredible song. I just discovered the audio page on this website and heard some stuff for the first time. Thanks for posting that great material.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

GraveDancer wrote:Im still scratching my head and trying to figure out why SHOWTIME is an out-take.
Yep, There are so many mysteries surrounding Soul Asylum. Showtime, the tracklist of CFAS, Winona Ryder (sorry I couldn't resist)...
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I don't know which Oxygen I like better. I think the intro on the demo sounds really pretty. I think it would depend on my mood which I'd like better, cuz the demo would be nicer to listen to if I'm in a more quiet/tired mood.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i just realized i'd downloaded the demo the other day but h adn't listened yet - thanks for reminding me.

ok i like the demo's background music sound better but i like the album versions vocals way better. more energy and emotion in them.?? or something. maybe somebody can say it better than i did.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Hey guys - thanks for replying. I would just like to point out that there are other demos as well. I would like to know other demos that you like better than the official ones.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I actually really liked the demo version, especially the background music.

I like part of the TSL version of Oxygen. I like it very much until the part in the middle near the end where Dave bellows "TRRREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAATMENT." That just grates on my nerves. I'll be listening to the song with the volume up, and when it gets to that point I turn the volume way down. The original version--and to me original is the version I heard between 2001-2003 or so--did not have that, and when I heard the TSL version, part of me wondered what happened to the song I loved from the first time I heard it.

The first time I heard Oxygen, I was a frustrated scared grad student, in her first semester, who completely agreed that "a couple more votes of confidence will do." It became a fast favorite of the new songs played at the 2001-2002 shows. I admit I became attached to the first version, and it took awhile for me to truly welcome the newer version. Even now...I still turn down the volume at that part of the song I mentioned above.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

lune ellise wrote:Hey guys - thanks for replying. I would just like to point out that there are other demos as well. I would like to know other demos that you like better than the official ones.
i dont think there are any i like better than the finished song....i keep thinking about blackstar, but i dont know if that was ever anything other than a demo??? i have a version of it marked "demo" and then one or two live versions, as well as the cover by wain mcfarlane, but was that song ever done otherwise?

there's also a demo, and it would take me weeks to find it and get the title, that has the music that later became "easy street"
Do any of you guys know which song i mean? somebody sent me gdu demos and hang time demos...i feel like maybe it's with the hang time ones but i just cant remember anymore.

but i liked that just because i liked knowing what it eventually ended up used for.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:I actually really liked the demo version, especially the background music.

I like part of the TSL version of Oxygen. I like it very much until the part in the middle near the end where Dave bellows "TRRREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAATMENT." That just grates on my nerves. I'll be listening to the song with the volume up, and when it gets to that point I turn the volume way down. The original version--and to me original is the version I heard between 2001-2003 or so--did not have that, and when I heard the TSL version, part of me wondered what happened to the song I loved from the first time I heard it.

The first time I heard Oxygen, I was a frustrated scared grad student, in her first semester, who completely agreed that "a couple more votes of confidence will do." It became a fast favorite of the new songs played at the 2001-2002 shows. I admit I became attached to the first version, and it took awhile for me to truly welcome the newer version. Even now...I still turn down the volume at that part of the song I mentioned above.
and here I was always under the impression that you loved when dave bellowed TREAAAATMENT. Especeially when he started adding more "shock treeeeeatment for you" to the song.

Oxygen was always one of the better TSL demos (if you ask woody, the best one is built to last). Of course, my favorite demo to date is black star. That may have been the best SA song ever...

Phil

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

[quote="sheryl"][quote="lune ellise"]
there's also a demo, and it would take me weeks to find it and get the title, that has the music that later became "easy street"
Do any of you guys know which song i mean? somebody sent me gdu demos and hang time demos...i feel like maybe it's with the hang time ones but i just cant remember anymore.

It's Forever and a Day. I just wrote about it a bit in another thread. I believe it's a Danny song and maybe Dave really liked the riff and decided to use it for Easy Street. I like Easy Street but I prefer Forever and a day

J

edit: Sorry i messed up the quoting thing... :?