"Weirdest Gigs Ever" series on SA's facebook page

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

"Weirdest Gigs Ever" series on SA's facebook page

Post by AlyssaJones »

I found this on their facebook page and decided to copy and paste it here for you guys who don't use facebook:

Welcome to our new weekly series...."Soul Asylum presents...Weirdest Gig Ever" This week's host: Mr. Tommy Stinson

"The weirdest Soul Asylum gig for me so far was Aquapalooza, in Lake of the Ozarks, MO on July 19, 2008. It was already a brutal travel day, having done a gig in Milwaukee the night before. We flew to Kansas City in the early morning, only to drive for an extra few hours into the lovely Ozark Mountains.

Things got exciting when we stopped for gas. Three shirtless dudes asked for change for a $5 bill for some beer, and the always-generous Dave obliged. 20 minutes down the road, these guys chase us down in their pickup truck and tell us to pull over. We figured it was the end for us all. Turns out that Dave thought it was a FIVE dollar bill, and owed him another $45. Whoopsie!

After we made good with the locals, we continued on with our wild adventure. We showed up at the “venue,” which was a big barge on a lake, facing the water. The audience was comprised of tipsy people on inner tubes, rafts, boats, and any other floating device within arm’s reach.

At one point during our set there was a problem on stage, and I was looking for Benny, our tour manager, who was nowhere to be found. A few songs later, I spotted him way out front on a boat next to the sound raft. All things considered, the gig ended up being a lot of fun. Nobody got seriously hurt, save for a little seasickness."

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: "Weirdest Gigs Ever" series on SA's facebook page

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I'm confused. Does he mean that some guys asked for change for a 50, and Dave thought they meant five? And no, I'm not on facebook, so please keep posting this stuff here, thank you!

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

These will be an interesting read! Thanks for posting them here.....
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

My guess is that Tommy made a typo, the local guys gave Dave a $50 bill, Dave thought it was $5, and wackiness ensued.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

I think Yaz needs to get with the times and get yourself a facebook log in!!
:roll:
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

This deserves to be on our front page, so I've put up a blurb about it.

I'm looking forward to dusty old stories from old-timers Dave and Dan!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Yaz McBoo wrote:I'm confused. Does he mean that some guys asked for change for a 50, and Dave thought they meant five? And no, I'm not on facebook, so please keep posting this stuff here, thank you!
You don't have to be on Facebook to check their Facebook page.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Haha.... yeah I just like to think that I'm ahead of the curve..by the time I sign up, it will be passe and some other medium will have taken its place.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Don't think Facebook will become passe anytime soon. Moms (OK that's me) and grandmas are getting on to keep up with their offspring. It really is a great way to stay in touch and a great way to post pics. ;)

Can't imagine beating Aquapalooza on weirdest gig ever but the Vail CO show would be the bizarre juxtaposition to it. Standing in the snow w/ skis!

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

crawl wrote:Don't think Facebook will become passe anytime soon. Moms (OK that's me) and grandmas are getting on to keep up with their offspring. It really is a great way to stay in touch and a great way to post pics. ;)

Can't imagine beating Aquapalooza on weirdest gig ever but the Vail CO show would be the bizarre juxtaposition to it. Standing in the snow w/ skis!
I dunno, I'd consider the whitehouse lawn pretty bizarre...

Phil