2011 Feb. 18th - Dresser, WI (Dave solo)

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Re: Pirner show - Feb 18th Dresser Wisconsin

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

I actually heard this show advertised on The Current, and when they said Dave Pirner they did NOT feel the need to say from Soul Asylum! Ah, I love Mpls!

Anyway, is anybody going to this show? Cuz I want a full report of how great it was, how Danny showed up to play a few, etc. so I can give myself a good, hard kick later for not going! :shock:

Tracy
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

ghettogold
Inmate

Post by ghettogold »

you tube video links much appreciated!

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Speaking of the current...

Playing Closer to the stars right now; been awhile since I heard it on the radio.

They are also doing a fund drive right now; in case you want to donate.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

I guess I may be the olnly one going from here, but I'll let you all know how it goes. Was just out at Trollhaugen last Friday Snowboarding. Looks like Fiday may be the coldest night this week, hoping the artificial snow doesn't suck as I want to get a few runs in around the show. Trampled by Turtles is an awesome local show as well. Maybe I'll catch a few of you there.

Mark
Would you look into my eyes if I were to go blind?

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

asylunt - did you make this one? If so, I'm not sure if I if spotted you or not, but I bet you were one of ones in full ski gear. :mrgreen:

What I'd like to know is who the f*ck has an outdoor show in mid Feb in Minnesota? I mean it was cold enough so the generators were konking out and they had to move it indoors! Ummm, hello!! :mrgreen: Could have been worse and they could have played on a barge with the crowd sitting in the water with floaties (oh wait, maybe that would have been better actually).

With that said, the show was moved indoors just prior to Dave's start due to the outside generator issues. They were prepared at least and did have a stage setup and ready to go inside the building next to the parking lot area where the show was to be. So all 10 ppl that were outside ready for Dave to start up moved it indoors, to the room where easily 100+ ppl were conversing (and warming up) either just coming in from the slopes or going out (so read, chat fest city).

So at least Dave played to a room full of people versus about 10-20 people. Too bad most of those in that room weren't there because of the music.....

Anyway, so Dave played about a 40 minute set, completely solo. Can't remember when the last time was he did a solo show here in the MN, but I'm sure the experts here can figure that out. The set seemed a little on the rushed side, but he was in a good mood, his hair is getting a little on the long side, and almost getting kind of dreadlocky even! Played mostly all SA material, 1 song from his solo stuff and a couple of covers. Pretty good set all around! That same room was packed though for the Trampled By turtles set that followed, so it was obvious who the main attraction was for the night!

The setlist went something like this:
Get On Out
Without a Trace
Lately
Faces and Names
Closer to the Stars
Summer of Drugs
Crazy Mixed up World
Black Gold
String of Pearls
Rhinestone Cowboy (apparently ppl on ski hills like this one according to Dave)
Runaway Train (with Dave playing the harmonica!)
Somebody To Shove

Sorry, I don't do that youtube video stuff, but I do have some audio from the event.
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Well, I guess I don't have to kick myself after all. A 40-minute set in a room full of chatty, disinterested people sounds soooo not worth the drive. :shock: Not to mention that I've about had it with freezing my butt off this winter! Thanks for the report!

Tracy
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

I made it, I was sitting at the table up front center with my GF. I actually wrote up a nice long winded review this morning but lost it cause i got logged off from the forum while i was typing it out. Sucks. I recorded all of the show except Get On Out. I actually was really pumped to watch the show outside, but I love being outside in the winter, it honestly makes it more bearable to get out and be active and hang out at social activities outside then to hide away in out forced air heated homes and cars. But I digress, I adapted to the change and felt the show was actually pretty good if you could tune out the noisy apathetic crowd. I almost got the feeling i was the only one there that followed Dave and the Bands recent work, or even their old pre GDU stuff. It seemed like a very GDU era crowd. I wish I hadn't lost that previous writeup I had more ambition this morning than I do now and i don't want to rewrite it.

I really enjoyed hearing Rhinestone Cowboy, it has always been one of my favorite SA cover songs, I don't think I have heard it for close to 10 years now, but I could be wrong. I usually am pretty indifferent about Runaway Train, but the one he did last night with the harmonica really was beautiful, he sang it very true to himself and I hope the guy with the nice recording setup on the tripod got a good recording and he decides to share it, just for that version of Runaway Train. My recording was on my iphone and was more for note taking, it is lossy and distorted and not suitable for trading.

I also got in without paying(we honestly could not find someone who knew where or how we could buy a ticket so we just walked in and never ended up snowboarding because the reports were that the runs were ice and hard to carve on. We ended up dropping a $20 into a courage center donation box. The thing wasn't really set up well, like why use a generator when you have power onsite?

It was relatively close for me and I wasn't forced to pay, so I won't complain too much. It was a weird ass concert going experience.
Would you look into my eyes if I were to go blind?

ghettogold
Inmate

Post by ghettogold »

i would go wild if they ever played "get on out" at a show i saw. awesome.
would love to hear the audio from the show.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Any other SA member sightings supporting their "brother?"
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

oh yeah, the whole clan was there, then they had a secret SA show after hours. It was awesome !!!
:twisted:
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.