2008 Aug. 22nd - Lincoln Park Zoo, Chicago, IL

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

Chicago Show Review

Post by philipgar »

Well, I guess no one else has posted about last nights show. I am extremely tired, so this post will be short, and just the setlist and a few notes. The band was in good form, joking around, and just playing it up. At one point (can't remember where) they started in on a joke thing, and Dave was actually telling remarkably decent jokes. Dave's pants were as holy as ever, and I had to look to the side of the stage way too often as I was dead center.

Anyhow, here's the setlist:

All Is Well
Bittersweetheart
See Ya Later
Misery/Silly Love Songs
Lately
Without a Trace
Black Gold
New World
Easy Street
Oxygen
Cartoon / Gone Till November
Whatcha Need (with Dave asking Mike what he needs and a guitar solo)
Never Really Been
Runaway Train
Closer To The Stars
Just Like Anyone
Somebody To Shove
--
Stand Up and Be Strong

I took lots of pictures, and some videos, I'll post those later after I get some sleep.
Phil

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: Chicago Show Review

Post by Closer »

Thanks for the review.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Great to see everyone and great show! Just crawling out of bed ;) Thanks for the DVD! Already enjoying! Always hope to see them in November! Got Michael on my set list! Dan and Dave signed too!

!!!!

scandal84
Marionette

Post by scandal84 »

I really enjoyed SA at teh Zoo in chicago. I have seen them play musically tighter in the past, but what I really enjoyed was DAVE's affability and sense of humour. Dave was good-natured and fun. They played alot of SILVER LINING. But the highlight for me was when they rocked out on CLOSER TO THE STARS--with DAve starting out on acoustic --then switching to electric during the song.I have never seen Dave screw up in all my years. But DAve missed some lyrics on BLACK GOLD. But all in all it was a great show. It was supposed to rain ---but it never did !!! Can't wait to see SA again- hopefully soon.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

It was definitely a great show. As mentioned, all the guys were cracking jokes and looked like they were enjoying themselves; just as much as I was. Dave's little joke session had come after Gone 'Til November. Glad to see that the rain did hold out for the show cause forecast had called for thunderstorms the whole day; it only rained a little bit a couple hours prior. Great meeting and talking to all the familar faces that could make it. Hope to see you all again soon.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Don Gerard
Stranger

Post by Don Gerard »

My daughter (11) actually managed to meet Dave after the show. He was pure Dave - cordial, funny, friendly & self-effacing ("Oops...I spelled my name wrong" while signing her shirt).

The weather was perfect & the show was great.

http://dongerard.blogspot.com/2008/04/s ... st-22.html

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Thanks for the mini-reviews. ;) Glad you didn't get rained out although if you did, you could just chalk it up to a wet experience. :P (Waiting patiently for videos and photos...if any?)

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

sayeeda wrote:Thanks for the mini-reviews. ;) Glad you didn't get rained out although if you did, you could just chalk it up to a wet experience. :P (Waiting patiently for videos and photos...if any?)
I'll likely be posting both tomorrow at some point. The photos and videos came out quite well in my opinion. It was definitely one of their better shows. The band just seems to be having so much fun lately. They just seem to get along particularly well, and love what they're doing. It's really hard to explain it, but it has been quite noticeable at the last few shows.

I also really liked the song selection for this show. A nice mix of old and new material. Jim, do you know where in the set the joke-a-thon took place? Dave was on a roll just telling joke after joke, and for a change some of them were decent (I think he's really been getting into mitch hedberg lately). Now I just have to hope for another show "soonish".

Phil

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

philipgar wrote:Jim, do you know where in the set the joke-a-thon took place?l
Yeah, right after Gone 'Til November. I mentioned it above in my post since you had said you couldn't remember in your first post.

Dave also tried to get a bunch of animal related jokes/puns in there too, as well as earlier in the set.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Don Gerard
Stranger

Post by Don Gerard »

I am really new here...will the links to pics and videos be in this thread.

...we were "good" and left our camera in the car. ":^ (