If only

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.
Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: If only

Post by Closer »

MTV was an actual music station in the 90's before the crappy reality tv shows kicked in... so yeah, they played music in the 90's and I kinda miss it.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Me too. I watched my fair share of MTV in the 90s.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

me three(4,5,6...)
i watched a little too much of it... though they played a lot of the same few bands over and over and over, i was happy to see soul asylum as much as possible!

how many times do you think you saw the REM everybody hurts video???? (me= a lot.)

spinnin in ny
Runaway

Post by spinnin in ny »

Sorry, but for the majority of the 90's, MTV totally sucked and wasn't music-related. Just my opinion. Even as early as 92 or 93, MTV was on a downward spiral/demise w/shows like 'The Real World.' I was born in 81 and my earliest memories of MTV in the late 80's-early 90's was just pure music. The only non-related music show was 'Remote Control,' which was actually pretty cool. I think MTV has gone well over 20 years having a non-music focus.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

spinnin in ny wrote:Sorry, but for the majority of the 90's, MTV totally sucked and wasn't music-related. Just my opinion. Even as early as 92 or 93, MTV was on a downward spiral/demise w/shows like 'The Real World.' I was born in 81 and my earliest memories of MTV in the late 80's-early 90's was just pure music. The only non-related music show was 'Remote Control,' which was actually pretty cool. I think MTV has gone well over 20 years having a non-music focus.
Of course I was watching MTV Europe in the 90's, so maybe it was different in America. We didn't only have music either on MTV, but at least most of the shows had something to do with music.
zany wrote:me three(4,5,6...)
i watched a little too much of it... though they played a lot of the same few bands over and over and over, i was happy to see soul asylum as much as possible!

how many times do you think you saw the REM everybody hurts video???? (me= a lot.)
Yeah, I saw that one quite a lot. Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit was played once an hour or something like that. I remember that they also played Misery a lot over here. Odd that it didn't really become a big hit with the support MTV was giving it back in '95.

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

I remember the early to mid 80s as the period of time when Mtv was exclusively about music. To me it seemed like that started to change when they started airing Spring Break specials, I think, in the later part of the 80s. Except for concerts on Saturday nights, a special on some artist on Sunday nights & periodic breaks for music news, it really was music videos 24/7. These were my teens years & I was pretty much glued to it all the time. Miss the old VJs too.

I'm not saying they didn't play a lot of music in the 90s too. In my memory, it just seems those Spring Break specials were the first time they started getting away from music & moved more & more it that direction from then on.

spinnin in ny
Runaway

Post by spinnin in ny »

Well, at least we meet the general consensus that MTV sucks. Pinpointing when it truly went downhill is really the only debate.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I agree that in the 90s the non-music shows really started to catch on, but I was guilty of watching some of them: Real World, Road Rules, Beavis and Butthead, Liquid Television, and Daria. I grew out of Real World and Road Rules, B&B and Liquid TV were phased out, but I still love Daria and re-watch it often.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

MTV sucks now... in the 90's, especially the first part of it when most of my favourite bands were happening, MTV was still pretty cool... I've seen many specials and documentaries on bands that I wouldn't have seen elsewhere at that time... and something like Unplugged wouldn't have happened in that form either. Watching SA unplugged the first time they aired it was great.

shanebond
Brand New Shine

Post by shanebond »

this was my favorite songs u can stream this song in youtube by download showbox for iphone or pc try it now