Remember Backbeat?

Discuss Golden Smog, The Volunteers, The O'Jeez, and any other bands related to Soul Asylum.
lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Remember Backbeat?

Post by lune ellise »

I just heard of it today - sorry for my insolence.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Re: Remember Backbeat?

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

lune ellise wrote:I just heard of it today - sorry for my insolence.
You're not insolent. How could you know? The movie came out in 1994. From your age, you must have been about 5 years old at the time.:)

Even though I saw the movie when it first came out, I just assumed that the actors were lip-synching to old Beatles' tracks. (Didn't stay for the music credits, only the acting credits.) Sadly, it was only last year that I found out that the soundtrack had been recorded by musicians from popular groups of the era and that Dave sang lead vocals on three of the tracks.:oops:
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

If you go to YouTube and google Backbeat Band there are video clips of Dave performing with the group including Dave Grohl on drums.

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFBLqfKLng

In the comments someone wrote that Dave looks and sounds drunk. Did you think also? I don`t.
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Cordelia wrote:In the comments someone wrote that Dave looks and sounds drunk. Did you think also? I don`t.
I didn't think so either, but it really doesn't matter (for me). The real question is whether his performance is good or not - am I just biased (because I'm an SA fan) in saying that his performance there is quite good? A lot have been saying he ruined the show. Worst is that some comments stated that Cobain should be in that super-group, Dave was just a second since the guy killed himself. I'm sorry I'm just so mad - I'm so sick of Nirvana and all the overrated attention they have been getting.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

I think Dave has made a good show. And he didn`t ruin the show.

I like Nirvana very much. And I`m sad about Kurt`s death.
But Dave wasn`t only a second since Kurt`s death!
Kurt Cobain was a very great musician.
And Dave Pirner is still a very great musician (the best :lol:).
I can`t unterstand why there are so fucking comments. :evil:
yours Cordelia

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

Youtube comments are the worst. Dave was a big drinker back then, but he was always great live. That was the important thing.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Wow...I may not have seen that since the night it aired on MTV...14 years ago. Thanks for posting.

I can't say for sure, but I think it was this performance--my friend called me afterward and said her dad walked by the tv and wondered who the shaking man was (and yes, he meant Dave) and asked my friend if the shaking man had rabies. Good thing my friend's dad isn't posting on the Youtube comments!

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

What an awesome soundtrack! not only the dave bits, the whole thing! I've written about Backbeat before on the old Yahoo forum but I'll post some of my comments again here because I'm still lookong for some info.
The performance at the MTV movie awards was the only live performance by the Backbeat band which includes members of SA, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Afghan Wigs and REM. They played the original 2 song set of Twist and Shout and Long Tall Sally in the middle of the show. During Long Tall Sally, Greg Dulli, using Dave's telecaster, and Thurston Moore collided and crumbled on stage and according to reports, Dulli's leg was fractured in the incident. However, here's the bit i'd like to see again, the band returned to close the show, playing Helter Skelter. I only ever saw that live when it was broadcast and I didn't tape it.But someone out there must have taped it. I've looked many times on youtube but to no avail. If anyone's got, please post!
Also, apparently during the studio recording of the soundtrack, a few extra songs were recorded but never released. If anyone knows of any bootlegs that have those songs, it would be great to hear them!

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

no1rockfan wrote:Dave was a big drinker back then ....
Really ?!? I didn`t know this. Is he this now still? No, or ?!?

@mystic_spiral_3: Oh! :o
yours Cordelia