Song versus song

Talk about movies, cars, food, or anything else that catches your fancy.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Homesick wrote:(and if I'm not mistaken, it's also the only song on the record with a profanity :lol:).
Fearless Leader also has profanity.
...cause that shit's something people can't figure out
Homesick wrote:(So far, only me, Jim, and Phil have replied, but everyone is welcome to join in, of course.
Jakob, remember you're six to nine hours ahead of most of the members here. The majority of them are still at work (or just getting home). Don't worry, the thread is still young. :wink:

I'll save Jakob's question above for the next member who wants to answer.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
Jakob, remember you're six to nine hours ahead of most of the members here. The majority of them are still at work (or just getting home). Don't worry, the thread is still young. :wink:
And I'm a grad student who is in the lab for too many hours a day and needs something to waste his time. Additionally my sleep schedule isn't exactly considered normal... Anyhow, time to spend the next 8 hours working (by which I mean sitting in lab occasionally writing things or editing code, while really just watching the packers game.

Phil

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

philipgar wrote:And I'm a grad student who is in the lab for too many hours a day and needs something to waste his time. Additionally my sleep schedule isn't exactly considered normal... Anyhow, time to spend the next 8 hours working (by which I mean sitting in lab occasionally writing things or editing code, while really just watching the packers game.

Phil
I completely understand. Definitely feel free to answer all the questions you want, and when you want. I didn't mean for you to wait for others to respond. I was just replying to Jakob why no one else might not have yet responded to the thread besides we 3... you, Jakob, and me.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Monolith Maniac wrote:we 3... you, Jakob, and me.
So with that way of putting it, I'm Phil's girlfriend? :P
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Homesick wrote:Monolith Maniac wrote:
we 3... you, Jakob, and me.

Homesick wrote:
For heaven's sake, no! Where on Earth did you ever think or get the idea I was implying that (I made no mention of any boy/girlfriend)? :P Honestly though Jakob, somehow I actually had a feeling you were going to reply, but definitely not something on the lines of that!

Anyways, since I was the last of "we 3" who haven't answered, I'll answer the "cutest" song question. I'm going to have to go with The Sun Maid. Probably because it's the slowest song of those listed, and it kind of reminds me of a lullaby. Definitely a great song to end the album (Grave Dancers Union).

Next question; favorite of the following songs which seem to be a little different than the rest of Soul Asylum's style/genres (at least in my opinion):

Everybody Loves a Winner (on Runaway Train single), Marionette, P-9, or Twiddly Dee
Last edited by Monolith Maniac on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
Homesick wrote:Monolith Maniac wrote:
we 3... you, Jakob, and me.

Homesick wrote:
I really don't like the direction this thread has taken.

Phil

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Dave has defintiely referred to the trilogy in concert the last couple years.

-Rob
Homesick wrote:I've never heard anyone referring to those songs as a "trilogy" before, but I'm guessing you mean that they all express anti-war sentiments.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

philipgar wrote:I really don't like the direction this thread has taken.

Phil
He he... Alright, I get the point. Let's just keep playing.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
Next question; favorite of the following songs which seem to be a little different than the rest of Soul Asylum's style/genres (at least in my opinion):

Everybody Loves a Winner (on Runaway Train single), Marionette, P-9, or Twiddly Dee
I never thought Marionette was that different, and I also thought Everybody Loves a Winner was a cover.

I feel like I should vote for Twiddly Dee on the basis of my sister Emily classifying it as "that folk rap song." That description has always amused me.

Hmmm, ok, now the reason I put off going in this thread...I have to think up a new question...

Favorite SA song used in a Kevin Smith movie: Can't Even Tell, We 3, Lucky One (there's a brief snippet in Chasing Amy), or Misery

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:I never thought Marionette was that different, and I also thought Everybody Loves a Winner was a cover.
Yeah, I was hesitant on putting Marionette down. Maybe its more of the lyrics that make it seem a little different. You're right, Everybody Loves a Winner was a Linda Ronstadt song.

Anyways, definitely We 3 for Chasing Amy. It almost seems like it was written specifically for the movie.

Do you remember where in Chasing Amy Lucky One is? I remember trying to listen for it in the movie but didn't hear it. Also, anyone know where Miss This is in Twister? I think it's another small part.

Next question; Favorite first single released by the 4 record labels:

Tied To The Tracks (Twin/Tone)
Sometime To Return (A&M)
Somebody To Shove (Columbia)
Stand Up And Be Strong (Legacy)
Last edited by Monolith Maniac on Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.